British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Swindon End Of Era Meeting.

It's not the end but the beginning ...... isn't it?

Even if the stadium isn't completed in time for next season, as long as you have a track, new loos and somewhere to buy a cuppa you'll be okay 😊

• Like 5

Sorry we couldn't entertain you. As a Robins supporter It was all just very sad. As such the atmosphere was muted. Please forgive us.

What is really sad is that we have a Promotion who wants to keep the sport going and a core support just about strong enough to sustain it here. Unlike in some town's there is no reason why speedway in Swindon needs to wither and die.

Excuse me for having an opinion. Just felt everything was a little flat yesterday. Maybe as I've seen posted elsewhere Batchelors impetuous interview at the beginning of the meeting set the tone, along with Peter York's inane drivel (who on earth invited him!!!)

I guess it all meant more to the Robins fans of course, but from an outsiders perspective the last meeting went off with more of a whimper than a bang.

Did enjoy the kids on the 125's before the main meeting started. You could tell they meant business, shame there's not more opportunities given to them around the country.

For 40 years I have been to the chapel for quiet prayer. Initially Saturdays, now Thursdays I have stood solemnly, shoulder to shoulder with many of my fellow supporters. Each of us had turned up to bid our farewells. The smell roared in to the Wiltshire sky for once last hurrah. Some fans shaking vigourously, others more stoic. The dampness oozing....into my trainers for the final time. I zipped up, turned, nodded and said my goodbye.

The Blunsdon Bogs are dead...long live The Blunsdon Bogs.

I said my farewell to the back straight blunsdon bogs yesterday, twice!. I had tears in my eyes at the end of my second visit, this had more to do with the smell of the place rather than the sadness of the occasion!
  • Like 5

I said my farewell to the back straight blunsdon bogs yesterday, twice!. I had tears in my eyes at the end of my second visit, this had more to do with the smell of the place rather than the sadness of the occasion!

I've heard that even Bear Grylls was terrified of those Back Straight Bogs

• Like 1

I didn't chance them yesterday Tony but it reminds of a visit to Smallmead many years ago when I took a mate to his first ever Speedway meeting and he remarked how it would have been handy to have had luminous 'equipment' when using the facilities there!

Sorry we couldn't entertain you. As a Robins supporter It was all just very sad. As such the atmosphere was muted. Please forgive us.

What is really sad is that we have a Promotion who wants to keep the sport going and a core support just about strong enough to sustain it here. Unlike in some town's there is no reason why speedway in Swindon needs to wither and die.

Swindon speedway wont wither and die...they're an established top 4 Elite club with fantastic support.

Was upset when they said don't take "souvenirs" as had brought my screwdriver to extract toilet roll holders from The Bogs.

They've only just erected the blue plaque on them saying "Lord Lucan lived here for a while", and they are to be demolished, criminal.

Good news is if you're dying to use the loo Abbey Rider Training have access to the bogs and the stadium gates are always open when they are doing their motorcycle training there.

Edited by haydon hat
  • Like 1

Swindon speedway wont wither and die...they're an established top 4 Elite club with fantastic support.

So were Reading. Plenty of others were and still lost their stadium. There's a difference between cautious optimism and blind faith. I hope you are right but I really can't see how given past experience.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

Swindon speedway wont wither and die...they're an established top 4 Elite club with fantastic support.Was upset when they said don't take "souvenirs" as had brought my screwdriver to extract toilet roll holders from The Bogs.They've only just erected the blue plaque on them saying "Lord Lucan lived here for a while", and they are to be demolished, criminal.Good news is if you're dying to use the loo Abbey Rider Training have access to the bogs and the stadium gates are always open when they are doing their motorcycle training there.

Had to wait a few minutes, but I eventually got onto the track and got my Swindon shale.

Excuse me for having an opinion. Just felt everything was a little flat yesterday. Maybe as I've seen posted elsewhere Batchelors impetuous interview at the beginning of the meeting set the tone, along with Peter York's inane drivel (who on earth invited him!!!)

I will excuse you though as Reading fan I'd have thought that you'd have understood why it was flat, It wasn't exactly a lottery win that we were celebrating. It was the end of Speedway in an old stadium that has been such a big part of Swindon life over many, many decades. It was nothing to do with Batchelor, trust me. As I say, I'm surprised you aren't grasping it but there it is. I guess you needed to be a Robins fan to feel it.

If only they'd have got the new stadium started before yesterday I'm sure it would have been a different matter.

Still sad, of course, but at least there would have been something other than promises to look to.

Had to wait a few minutes, but I eventually got onto the track and got my Swindon shale.

Was hit by enough shale on the terraces last night to collect a bagful!
  • Like 1

Farewell to the Abbey!

Enjoyed seeing the ex-riders and Briggo signed my programme which was a fitting end to the meeting for me.

Also enjoyed Sam Ermolenko's prototype Jawas which could prove to be a way forward for the sport in these environment concious times.

Disappointed in Batch with his comments which I think were ill judged given the occasion - his thoughts on the play off meeting against Belle Vue have been well documented elsewhere and I really think he's 'cooked his goose' with Swindon now and will be very surprised if he's a Robin next year.

Loved seeing Rosco doing a couple of laps at the end - whether people like him or not he's a showman and the sport needs more like him.

I will excuse you though as Reading fan I'd have thought that you'd have understood why it was flat, It wasn't exactly a lottery win that we were celebrating. It was the end of Speedway in an old stadium that has been such a big part of Swindon life over many, many decades. It was nothing to do with Batchelor, trust me. As I say, I'm surprised you aren't grasping it but there it is. I guess you needed to be a Robins fan to feel it.

If only they'd have got the new stadium started before yesterday I'm sure it would have been a different matter.

Still sad, of course, but at least there would have been something other than promises to look to.

I was present at the very last meeting at Smallmead and the atmosphere was very similar to what it was at Blunsdon yesterday.

• Like 1

I was present at the very last meeting at Smallmead and the atmosphere was very similar to what it was at Blunsdon yesterday.

It probably is down to whether it's your own club or not as I found the atmosphere at Smallmead's last meeting much different. We had a right laugh (until walking out for the last time), meeting up with old friends and riders we hadn't seen down there for years. I guess we knew we weren't going to run the next season so it was more of a farewell to the sport rather than just the stadium for us.

• Like 2

That's the thing, Wacks, you knew where you stood. No doubt it sucked terribly, but there was no doubts.

Anyway, it looks as if the farewell was more of a 'see ya next season'........

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/13842393.New_stadium_held_at_the_red_tapes/

Now there's a big surprise!!....so next season we can all start the day saying a proper farewell to the Old Stadium complete with special guests( hopefully LAR) and then walk 50 yards to officially open the new one....that would be different!....that's a new definition on holding a double header.....

• Like 3