British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Swindon End Of Era Meeting.

Hi, can anyone tell me if the End of Era meeting that is scheduled at Swindon's Abbey Stadium is definitely going ahead? If it is are there any confirmed riders and what format is it going to take?

Thanks in advance.

This must be a very worrying time for swindon fans. With only a few meetings left at the abbey and still no sign of a new stadium. Shades of reading, seven years later?

This must be a very worrying time for swindon fans. With only a few meetings left at the abbey and still no sign of a new stadium. Shades of reading, seven years later?

Don't think so, the stadium will take about 5 months to build and should start early winter.

Hi, can anyone tell me if the End of Era meeting that is scheduled at Swindon's Abbey Stadium is definitely going ahead? If it is are there any confirmed riders and what format is it going to take?

Thanks in advance.

Who knows. Mr. Rossiter, and the Swindon Management, commited to a Lee Richardson meeting when Lee sadly left us.

Some of us are still waiting for the event to happen.

As the saying goes 'talk is cheap'. :(

• Like 3

The developers cannot complete their plans before a new stadium is in place. Indeed, they can't even knock down the Abbey before the new stadium is built.

There have been lessons learned from the misfortune of others around the country.

The developers cannot complete their plans before a new stadium is in place. Indeed, they can't even knock down the Abbey before the new stadium is built.

There have been lessons learned from the misfortune of others around the country.

fingers crossed it gets built for all speedway fans, we can't afford to lose a historic club like swindon,

Let's be clear, the wording of the restriction is this:

The Owners covenant and agrees not to permit more than two hundred (200) Residential Units to be Occupied until a contract for the construction of the New Stadium has been entered into.

This is my opinion is very vaguely worded. Entering into a contract, especially with a "friendly" builder, is no guarantee of the stadium being built, but presumably unlocks the developers from this clause and allows them to sell additional houses.

It was supposed to have started in June, but the council gave a flimsy sounding excuse as to why that was not possible. I want a new stadium as much as anyone, but all we have ever had so far, are words. Seeing is believing.

• Like 1

Brilliant i am glad this is true Buzz,it will hurt when the old place goes the track especially but i won't miss those filthy old bogs over the far side.Times move on i just hope the track is a reasonable size Somerset esq)? if we are all honest the old place is looking tired now but those great memories for me will always be there of the old place.

It was supposed to have started in June, but the council gave a flimsy sounding excuse as to why that was not possible. I want a new stadium as much as anyone, but all we have ever had so far, are words. Seeing is believing.

The flimsy excuse was that the developers [YES the developers] had failed to submit detailed plans on reserved matters.

So it's hardly the council’s fault that the stadium work couldn't start.

Edited by arnieg

The flimsy excuse was that the developers [YES the developers] had failed to submit detailed plans on reserved matters.

So it's hardly the councils fault that the stadium work couldn't start.

all this sounds so very familiar Arnie.

Brilliant i am glad this is true Buzz,it will hurt when the old place goes the track especially but i won't miss those filthy old bogs over the far side.Times move on i just hope the track is a reasonable size Somerset esq)? if we are all honest the old place is looking tired now but those great memories for me will always be there of the old place.

As I said to Coventry fans when they started getting excited about a new stadium because Brandon is going. Brandon and Blunsdon are NOT bad stadiums at all. Old yes but bad? No way. Will any new stadium be on a par? No chance! Certainly not one knocked up in 5 months as we're told the new Swindon stadium will be. And unless they start building a replacement for Brandon soon the 18 months they have will be pushing it too to build a better alternative.

Blunsdon while a little old, a little worn is still pretty good. Look at most other UK tracks, certainly anything built in the last 30 years. Redcar, Scunthorpe, Somerset, Plymouth, Leicester, Newport..... Not one of them is/was the standard of Blunsdon (or Brandon)

You can build stadiums as you go so to speak. Long as a track and some basic facilties are ready Swindon will be good to go. Trouble is it seems nothing has happened as of yet.

Haven't they already started knocking it down?

Haven't they already started knocking it down?

Not the stadium, just the old away pits.