British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Swindon End Of Era Meeting.

As I've said before, TR will have his finger on the pulse and doubtless has Oxford on standby as a temporary solution as required.

Riders with visas will need to know that they have a job/contract before they leave these shores next month - so why would any sign a Robins contract if there wasn't some sort of guarantee?! Indeed why would Rosco sign riders up for 2016 without a track option?

Or the Robins could ride at Poole on a thurs so that those on the south coast could see a decent team ;)

• Like 1

The people working at the stadium told me last night that the starting gate , lighting and all Speedway related property will be removed on the 12th October.

Whatever happens there will be no Speedway at the present stadium in 2016.

That's a big worry 😕

I really hope Swindon fans get the answers they need and hopefully some reassurance.

I know from Coventry that it's no fun having a lot of uncertainty over your clubs stadium and future.

The fact Rosco is already planning for next year is hopefully a good sign.

Good luck

Edited by mdmc82

Or the Robins could ride at Poole on a thurs so that those on the south coast could see a decent team ;)

Blimey Orlovski, I normally like your posts and I have to assume that this one was a wind-up!

Blimey Orlovski, I normally like your posts and I have to assume that this one was a wind-up!

But they could actually ride at Poole on a Thurs if they needed to (obv be a last resort option!)

the best 'insurance' robins fans have, unless it has changed ? is that only 200 houses can be put up on the site before the new stadium is finished as it means that the stadium would be holding up their profits if there's any 'unexpected delays'. good luck robins.

the best 'insurance' robins fans have, unless it has changed ? is that only 200 houses can be put up on the site before the new stadium is finished as it means that the stadium would be holding up their profits if there's any 'unexpected delays'. good luck robins.

I think that should read sold not put up.

I think that should read sold not put up.

if that is the case it's not quite as good as i thought but it is 100 % better than just their promise.

That is what is in the planning conditions Sidney but inorder to build the new one the existing track will need to be shortened and cannot be knocked down until the new one is up and running. But the big question seems to be that many do not trust the owners of the present stadium to stick to these conditions as they have a record of not doing what they say they will do and shutting tracks.

Worrying ORLOV bigtime,fingers crossed i suppose something not quite right here is somebody hiding something.?

With the number of Poole connections - 'Poole B' sounds good to me!! :shock:;)

I got a reply for the Council today....

Thank you for your recent email concerning the lack of progress to date to deliver a new Speedway stadium.

I share your concern regarding the delays that have affected the re-development; however progress is being made. A major factor in moving the scheme forward was the economic downturn post-2008 that affected the implementation of the development insofar as the housing element that was to lead the overall scheme was delayed. However, we are now in a position where two house builders, Barratt Homes and Persimmon are building at the site, together with Castle Oak which is developing the care home site.

The original planning permission was framed to enable the re-development of the site and permitted housing and other development to contribute to funding a new stadium. The planning legal agreement that accompanied the planning permission includes triggers to ensure the delivery of the new stadium. In addition, a recent new planning permission to replace the previously permitted business units with housing included a new clause that prevents any further applications for reserved matters permission for housing to be submitted until the reserved matters application for the new stadium is submitted. A second new clause in the legal agreement introduced a "long stop" date (12 months from the date of the legal agreement in April 2014) such that the stadium owners must use their reasonable endeavours to obtain planning consent for the new stadium. As such, the legal agreement prevents the occupation of any housing (on the new areas replacing the business units) until the practical completion of the stadium has occurred.

The Council has sought to ensure that an appropriate balance is struck between the needs of the site’s owners to fund the re-development of the stadium whilst also ensuring that an important sporting asset that is highly valued in Swindon is retained and re-developed.

Council Officers continue to maintain a close dialogue with the site owners to ensure that the re-development comes forward in accordance with the agreed timetable.

I trust this information is of assistance to you, but please contact me.

Yours sincerely

Richard Bell

Mr Richard Bell

Head of Planning, Regulatory Services, Heritage and Libraries

It seems to be a case of sit back and see and trust that things work out.

Edited by BuzzCagney
  • Like 1

With the number of Poole connections - 'Poole B' sounds good to me!! :shock:;)

You are the Tara Palmer-Tomkinson of comedy Skidder.. :t:

Thank you for the information you are obtaining Buzz, one needs to hope that those that pass or work at the site can report progress some time in November.

Am still concerned about the time scale, especially if we get a bad winter. Lets hope there is a plan B which is viable for any delays.

• Like 1

Surely if houses are built first before the stadium, once they have moved in the owners of those houses will have every right to complain about the noise etc and the Speedway could then be stopped from running, thoughts anyone

Thank you for the information you are obtaining Buzz, one needs to hope that those that pass or work at the site can report progress some time in November.

Am still concerned about the time scale, especially if we get a bad winter. Lets hope there is a plan B which is viable for any delays.

Wouldn't Somerset be Plan B?

They could complain about the existing stadium noise so the issue of a new stadium should not arise.

Steve0 that is probably plan C as B should be use existing track with it being made shorter.

• Like 1