British Speedway Forum
Electric6

Who Should Get The Gp Wild-card Spots For 2016?

If Janowski gets top 8, plus 2 from from GP Qualifier, then with your 2 choices that would make 5 poles or 33% of the regular GP riders, can't see that happening.

Turn the clock back to the mid 1970's with Peter Collins, Malcolm Simmons, John Louis, Dave Jessup, Ray Wilson, Chris Morton, Terry Betts, and then Kenny Carter and Michael Lee, you'd have had a GP field in those day more than half British...would you have complained about that?

Oh Happy Days

Turn the clock back to the mid 1970's with Peter Collins, Malcolm Simmons, John Louis, Dave Jessup, Ray Wilson, Chris Morton, Terry Betts, and then Kenny Carter and Michael Lee, you'd have had a GP field in those day more than half British...would you have complained about that?

No. But there is a better spread of talent these days. And probably max one brit would have been given a wild card if you had a lot already qualified. I out more than half the field would have been bits given the aussies kiwis Swedes plus Olsen plech Autrey etc.

Edited by waihekeaces1

Are you absolutely sure there is a better spread of talent today?. Agreed there are more riders and more countries represented, but I would argue there were more world class riders 40-50 years ago.

• Like 2

Really cant see why people are pushing the Laguta's dont think either would add to the series. Dudek is one id like to see for no reason i like the way he rides

• Like 1

I am surprised that the Russian speedway federation don't want the kudos of having a Russian world champion. If I was running Russian speedway I would be doing all I could to get Emil in to the series and making sure it was financially viable for him to do so.

Maybe like the BSPA they have no money.What do the BSPA do financially to assist Tai and Chris ?

Don't think this is down to money anyway,Emil has a major sponsor in Red Bull plus good sponsorship from Poland plus good contracts in Sweden and Poland.

Are you absolutely sure there is a better spread of talent today?. Agreed there are more riders and more countries represented, but I would argue there were more world class riders 40-50 years ago.

Based on?

The only reason you say that is they raced each other less.. hence you saw them beat less.

Had there been a GP back then, some of the top Brits you thought were great would have been like Harris is now and your whole perception would have changed. Same riders.. just you see them getting beat by the truly top riders far more often.

In an ideal world I'd like Emil to ride in the GPs...Tai in the SEC and GB to have a pair in the pairs...unfortunately politics seems to come into it and I cant see it happening...and I'd like an extra round in the SEC...at Belle Vue!...or better still Shefield. :drink:

• Like 1

But it wasn't a complaint, its just I cannot see the powers that be having 5 (33%) from one country.

And I do remember when the world final was dominated by English riders - back in the 50's, but those were the days the qualifiers were in the UK.

I would like to full-time field to be just 14 riders with two wild-card riders per event

and not necessarily from the same country where the GP is held.

There are really only 10 top riders each year who battle for 8 places, with at least 4/5 who just make up the numbers.

Also having 2 x wild cards would allow SGP to look at future full-time wild card riders and gives more riders GP experience

Sorry, I don't agree. One wild card is enough.

Sorry, I don't agree. One wild card is enough.

One wild card is one too many!.

I'm not so sure Jarek is a cert for a wildcard. i think he may "consume" the wrong brand of energy drink...

MJJ should get a wildcard if he doesn't finish in the Top 8, he provides so many people with hope through the difficult times of Tory austerity.

George Osborne is trying to lead the poor into suicidal depression, he is an evil evil man.

• Like 1

There is no British rider within a million miles of desrving this honour.Despite of this no Elite League club dare race on a Saturday