British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Of course there is a good number of Bees fans where Leicester is probably more convenient for them. A good percentage of Bees fans are not based in Coventry. Something would need to be done to help fans get there but that bridge will be crossed should it needed to be done.

The main concern would be if we agreed to ground share until a new stadium was found then we would end up staying there.

Those of us without transport would be unable to travel to support them.

Also I can't see it being on a Friday as Leicester would be racing Saturday so would also make it even harder if have kids.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Really sad that it's come to this. Still hoping planning permission isn't granted.

• Like 2

The main concern would be if we agreed to ground share until a new stadium was found then we would end up staying there.

Also I can't see it being on a Friday as Leicester would be racing Saturday so would also make it even harder if have kids.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Really sad that it's come to this. Still hoping planning permission isn't granted.

They will get planning its just a matter of when, it could be years down the line if they are prepared to wait and sit on the site. I'm sure the club could run a coach or two to Leicester.

Ground sharing with Leicester ,,,,,,, who would want to go there from Coventry ?????? ,,,, ...talk to the fans and ask them there opinion of Leicester ....

Birmingham if they are allowed to have two meetings a week possibly

I do not understand the upside of Sandhu building the new stadium. If we base it on the fact that Ashfield required £1.6m investment, Sandhu would have to spend what - £2m to build from scratch, plus land etc.?

Given the drop off in meetings over the last 20 years - add in stock cars - he won't make more than 5% per year. It is not as if the land or stadium will appreciate in value. He would be better off either investing in a high roller fund with a mainstream bank, or investing in residential property. And to a certain extent, this is what he has done by selling the site, so his intentions are not that of speculation.

The onus should be on the current promotion to provide the solution. It will add value to their asset. Ground sharing will reduce their up front investment and keep their asset around the current value. It is the least-risk option for them, but hardly ideal for Coventry Speedway.

It is a typical speedway mess, seen up and down the country for the last 20/30 years. It is not new. The stadium is run down, but this is due to neglect. Do I blame people for not investing? Not really. Why would you invest in a sport run by the BSPA. Outsiders come in with fresh ideas, but are soon curtailed. The sport lacks any kind of promotion, particularly in social media. So it is difficult to increase any income streams to justify upfront investment for Sandhu, Horton or anyone else and certainly no bank will provide cash to a sport that struggles to come up with a 5 year plan.

Ground sharing with Leicester ,,,,,,, who would want to go there from Coventry ?????? ,,,, ...talk to the fans and ask them there opinion of Leicester ....

Birmingham if they are allowed to have two meetings a week possibly

Id certainly go for a couple of years if there was movement on a new stadium to do my bit help keep the club alive

I do not understand the upside of Sandhu building the new stadium. If we base it on the fact that Ashfield required £1.6m investment, Sandhu would have to spend what - £2m to build from scratch, plus land etc.?

Given the drop off in meetings over the last 20 years - add in stock cars - he won't make more than 5% per year. It is not as if the land or stadium will appreciate in value. He would be better off either investing in a high roller fund with a mainstream bank, or investing in residential property. And to a certain extent, this is what he has done by selling the site, so his intentions are not that of speculation.

The onus should be on the current promotion to provide the solution. It will add value to their asset. Ground sharing will reduce their up front investment and keep their asset around the current value. It is the least-risk option for them, but hardly ideal for Coventry Speedway.

It is a typical speedway mess, seen up and down the country for the last 20/30 years. It is not new. The stadium is run down, but this is due to neglect. Do I blame people for not investing? Not really. Why would you invest in a sport run by the BSPA. Outsiders come in with fresh ideas, but are soon curtailed. The sport lacks any kind of promotion, particularly in social media. So it is difficult to increase any income streams to justify upfront investment for Sandhu, Horton or anyone else and certainly no bank will provide cash to a sport that struggles to come up with a 5 year plan.

Upside is simple, if their was a new stadium being built on a smaller site the council will look more favourably on a planning application for Brandon. Also dont forget Sandhu and Heaver hold a license for Stox which makes them money and attracts huge crowds.

New stadium with better facilites attract much more corporate and sponsorship opportunities, I love Brandon but it doesn't attract much of that even more so with the sports and facilities they are up against in the City.

Dont get me wrong I'm sceptical like the rest but i can see why a business man would do it that way instead of just keeping Brandon Stadium.

Edited by woz01

You think a new stadium will be better than Brandon? Most newer (as in last 30 years) tracks are more or less tracks in fields. Newport and Leicester built stands but they were nowhere near Brandon scales.

We're never going to compete with the Ricoh.

You think a new stadium will be better than Brandon? Most newer (as in last 30 years) tracks are more or less tracks in fields. Newport and Leicester built stands but they were nowhere near Brandon scales.

We're never going to compete with the Ricoh.

Of course we will never compete with the Ricoh but even Ice Hockey and Coventry Rugby has far better corporate opportunities. No one knows what the plan is (if any) but Heaver has said for need of more corporate and better facilities for fans thats why I mentioned it.

We might get an idea on what standard stadium we get if/when the site is announced, just a thought.

Edited by woz01

Outsiders come in with fresh ideas, but are soon curtailed. The sport lacks any kind of promotion, particularly in social media. So it is difficult to increase any income streams to justify upfront investment for Sandhu, Horton or anyone else and certainly no bank will provide cash to a sport that struggles to come up with a 5 year plan.

Very true. Anyone new to the sport even if they have invested heavily in starting up a promotion always gets ganged up on by those who have been involved for many years and do not want any changes which might rock their boats.

Don't see a problem running meetings on Friday & Saturday - bad weather aside the track would hold up well and time required for preparation would not be an issue.

who knows extra revenue from hiring out the stadium may give DH the fund to make the desired changes to the race track...well I can dream and live in hope

• Like 1

Of course we will never compete with the Ricoh but even Ice Hockey and Coventry Rugby has far better corporate opportunities. No one knows what the plan is (if any) but Heaver has said for need of more corporate and better facilities for fans thats why I mentioned it.

We might get an idea on what standard stadium we get if/when the site is announced, just a thought.

Has the Butts Park Arena (Coventry Rugby) ever been officially ruled out as a future home for the Bees? Not sure of the current pitch size and whether a track could fit but driving past it looks pretty much ideal for somewhere to move the Speedway to.

• Like 1

Has the Butts Park Arena (Coventry Rugby) ever been officially ruled out as a future home for the Bees? Not sure of the current pitch size and whether a track could fit but driving past it looks pretty much ideal for somewhere to move the Speedway to.

No room at all I'm afraid. I went there during the summer to watch Coventry Bears RL team and only spare room is the other side of the pitch from the main stand which could possibly hold another stand. Either ends of the pitch the room is minimal.

Shame really as the old Butts stadium when i was a kid was certainly big enough. It had a cycling track on the outside and the inside of that was a speedway like track with a football pitch in the middle. Apartments and the Butts Park Arena have since been built on the site. Of course its also a residential area.

Edited by woz01

I suspect there have been some discussions going on recently about Leicester wanting to have some or even all of their EL home matches next season on a Friday - for reasons which are well known by now. Presumably there has been some reluctance on Coventry's part to allow that to happen, but in any discussions Leicester has been mindful of Coventry's potentially difficult situation.

So the offer to provide Cov with a temporary home in 2017 could well be a part of these negotiations.