British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Shame on you Horton and Watson - my earlier 'tweet' gave you credit for a saving of 5 quid for student to come along to Brandon as I thought would be generous. Where the hell did a 12 quid reduction come from ! No wonder people are trying to abuse. And to think you gave up a concession to the loyal older ladies and gentlemen - you are disgrace you money grabbing b'stards. You need to appreciate they have kept you surviving for many a year ! Time you sucked up big time and over compensate for your actions.

Come on Mick, don't be an a'hole like your brother Colin (or are you the same person ?). Us folk in Coventry have some integrity, perhaps you guys from the East of England are a different breed - time to show what you really made of.

• Like 1

You right " Speedway is often classed as a sport fot simple dullards " ..... is FOT a students word then ?

So what does "You right" mean???

I am amazed at the vitriol poured out on this forum about these concessions. Why do some people feel that speedway owes them privileges and discounts when it is obvious that the sport is not in a financial good health? I don't know Horton but i doubt if he's acquired a Panamanian offshore account for his speedway profits. If the club was being ripped off with the NUS cards then it makes perfect sense to suspend the discount. There seems to be a mentality that demands special favours regardless of the economic consequences. Compared to other sports speedway is a cheap night out and the admission fess have not increased exponentially over recent years. How many speedway tracks have found it difficult in the Elite league? I used to go to Reading and where are the Racers now. Anybody seen Oxford Cheetahs recently? Are Peterborough Panthers still racing Elite.

Support it or look forward to your nights at the keyboard reminiscing about the good old days when there used to be speedway in Cradley Heath - no sorry, should that be Long Eaton. No of course the good old days when we had a speedway team in Coventry where all the OAPs and students got in for free, had a bag of chips for nothing and a pint of Bitter thrown in by the promotion.

• Like 7

It's only the same handful of people all the time though and some of them don't even go to Coventry anyway so one has to wonder why they are bothered about admission prices, apart from the fact they can have a good moan of course.

• Like 5

I am amazed at the vitriol poured out on this forum about these concessions. Why do some people feel that speedway owes them privileges and discounts when it is obvious that the sport is not in a financial good health? I don't know Horton but i doubt if he's acquired a Panamanian offshore account for his speedway profits. If the club was being ripped off with the NUS cards then it makes perfect sense to suspend the discount. There seems to be a mentality that demands special favours regardless of the economic consequences. Compared to other sports speedway is a cheap night out and the admission fess have not increased exponentially over recent years. How many speedway tracks have found it difficult in the Elite league? I used to go to Reading and where are the Racers now. Anybody seen Oxford Cheetahs recently? Are Peterborough Panthers still racing Elite.

Support it or look forward to your nights at the keyboard reminiscing about the good old days when there used to be speedway in Cradley Heath - no sorry, should that be Long Eaton. No of course the good old days when we had a speedway team in Coventry where all the OAPs and students got in for free, had a bag of chips for nothing and a pint of Bitter thrown in by the promotion.

It's only the same handful of people all the time though and some of them don't even go to Coventry anyway so one has to wonder why they are bothered about admission prices, apart from the fact they can have a good moan of course.

IF BEES get a winning side, no-one will care or mention the price!

3 sensible posts for a change - agree with all of them!!

• Like 3

I like the posts from people that say "well I'm not going this week" but I still see them there and made up stories that friends are not going etc. Its like they have an agenda or something. We all know Horton isnt perfect but some 'fans' go way over the top and blatantly lie on social media to try and make a stronger case.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 5

Removing the student offer is ridiculous. I'm not a student, have no NUS and pay full price when i go, but in Coventry alone you have Coventry City, Wasps, Coventry Rugby Club and Coventry Blaze, all of which embrace students and accept NUS cards as proof for their discount. If people "abuse" it at the speedway, they will do the same at those other clubs.

The management clearly have a strict idea of who they consider to be entitled to a discount, and it seems they are stuck in an archaic world where only youngsters can be students.

This will just lead to more and more people walking away from Brandon, meaning bigger losses for the club... leading to the inevitable closure after this season

• Like 1

3 sensible posts for a change - agree with all of them!!

Completely agree 👍🏻

Some people are moaning saying they won't be going this season then, but they might not have a season to go to next year.

I hope those same people don't moan about having no stadium or team to support if they aren't attending this year based on having to pay the same as the rest of us.

I do think though that if we perform as badly at home as last time, any new fans that started watching over last 2 years when always winning, won't stick with it.

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 2

Removing the student offer is ridiculous. I'm not a student, have no NUS and pay full price when i go, but in Coventry alone you have Coventry City, Wasps, Coventry Rugby Club and Coventry Blaze, all of which embrace students and accept NUS cards as proof for their discount. If people "abuse" it at the speedway, they will do the same at those other clubs.

The management clearly have a strict idea of who they consider to be entitled to a discount, and it seems they are stuck in an archaic world where only youngsters can be students.

This will just lead to more and more people walking away from Brandon, meaning bigger losses for the club... leading to the inevitable closure after this season

How can an adult in employment who buys an NUS card off the internet without any intention of ever going anywhere near a College or University be classed as a student. These people buy them with the sole intention of defrauding the Bees, Blaze, Wasps and Coventry FC. How you consider this practice acceptable is beyond me.

• Like 4

Removing the student offer is ridiculous. I'm not a student, have no NUS and pay full price when i go, but in Coventry alone you have Coventry City, Wasps, Coventry Rugby Club and Coventry Blaze, all of which embrace students and accept NUS cards as proof for their discount. If people "abuse" it at the speedway, they will do the same at those other clubs. I also say again its only temporary at this stage until they find a compromise (or not!).

The major difference is the price between adult and students watching the bees is £12 while the clubs you name I believe the price difference is perhaps £3-£5 so its less likely to happen plus even if it does the loss of revenue isn't so great. Other sports teams throughout the UK do have an age limit on student admission, if they want it to be £5 then they will have to adopt similar otherwise they will have to go back to £14 for all students as in previous seasons. Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

IF BEES get a winning side, no-one will care or mention the price!

Oh dear - pages and pages of more moaning then!!!! :wink::D

• Like 1

How can an adult in employment who buys an NUS card off the internet without any intention of ever going anywhere near a College or University be classed as a student. These people buy them with the sole intention of defrauding the Bees, Blaze, Wasps and Coventry FC. How you consider this practice acceptable is beyond me.

Absolutely and the price difference is only a few quid for those clubs while for the Bees its £12 difference, huge amount lost! Coventry City used to at least ask for a covering letter if you was asking for a student season ticket, surely the Bees promotion can do the same.

Edited by woz01

I bet oap get concession as well at these clubs