British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Stop moaning and start saving for a deposit and get on the housing ladder then, when I was a kid; we didn't have iPhones and holidays were only considered for the extremely wealthy.

When I was 20, I had £14000 to my name through hard work and toil.

Jackanory time

• Like 4

A good many of today's OAP's who bought their own houses using endowment policies intended for paying off their mortgages, and to give them some funds for their retirement , have found themselves reaching the end of their 25 year agreement only to find that because of the poor performance of the insurance policy they have still been in debt with insufficient funds to pay off the original loan.

Hardly fits the criteria you are using for the modern day pensioner I would suggest.

I would say more OAPs bought their houses before endowments were popular and aren't in this position. It's more likely that their offspring are though.

• Like 3

I would say more OAPs bought their houses before endowments were popular and aren't in this position. It's more likely that their offspring are though.

I think you are wrong on that endowments started in the sixtes

I am a pensioner now and I also had an endowment policy to pay for my house , around 2002 /3 the insurance company had two separate goes at taking chunks out of my policy. I know many who suffered in a similar manner .I was fortunate, I still had enough to settle my debt but I lost the money I had saved for my old age, I know many were not so lucky .

I think you are wrong on that endowments started in the sixtes

I didn't claim otherwise. Repayment mortgages were more popular by far back then though.

• Like 2

I didn't claim otherwise. Repayment mortgages were more popular by far back then though.

I would suggest that first hand experience of the situation sharpens the memory considerably.

I can also remember very well that the mortgage companies having to write to customers advising them that their payments were not sufficient to pay off the loans , and it wasn't just a few customers either.

Edited by Dave Jones

I will try and explain to you what is going on.

Adults in full time employment are applying for part time courses on line and with those courses comes an NUS card. These adults have no intention of attending the courses and are applying for them with the sole purpose of cheating/stealing money off Coventry Speedway.

How idiots on here can think this is perfectly OK is beyond me.

Mick Horton should have put an age limit on the use of these NUS cards in the first place, say under 25, and this dishonest practice by a few petty thieves would not have occurred.

In all walks of life the odd few people will always cheat the system, this is something you unfortunately have to accept as a business owner. What you should never do is punish the genuine customer/paying supporter for the actions of these few.

What the criteria of a student is and isn't can be debated as a seperate issue even though my personal feeling is that under no circumstances should there be age discrimination.

The big picture is that the genuine majority ARE being punished for the actions of the minority and as a result not only these people lose but also the club as many will stop going due to affordability. I for one sincerely hopes Mick rethinks this decision.

Ps I am pretty sure only idiots call other people idiots in an attempt to make themselves feel more intellectual which is clearly not the case by re-reading your post 😉

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 3

Pretty much any report you look at shows that OAPs on average have a greater disposable income than someone under 35. For a start most have bought their home by then and that saves them on average £900 that someone under 35 is probably paying on their mortgage!

Those reports are just plain wrong!! When someone stops work you have less income regardless of pensions, and few have very good pensions. Interests rates being what they are any income from possible savings is minimal.

I would suggest that first hand experience of the situation sharpens the memory considerably.

I can also remember very well that the mortgage companies having to write to customers advising them that their payments were not sufficient to pay off the loans , and it wasn't just a few customers either.

Endowment mortgages have been available forever. What People are talking about on here are so called Low Cost Endowments which became availablein mid to late sixtiies.

It was in fact the insurance companies that wrote to warn of possible shortfall. That was one of the reasons for the emergence of the compensation seeking claims chasers quickly followed by PPI.

• Like 1

Pretty much any report you look at shows that OAPs on average have a greater disposable income than someone under 35. For a start most have bought their home by then and that saves them on average £900 that someone under 35 is probably paying on their mortgage!

...ore even more if they are renting.

...ore even more if they are renting.

This is the rut I'm in. The only chance I will get to buy is when my kids are grown up, I should have much more disposable income to save and buy plus it wont need to be a 3 bed house.

• Like 1

Stop moaning and start saving for a deposit and get on the housing ladder then, when I was a kid; we didn't have iPhones and holidays were only considered for the extremely wealthy.

When I was 20, I had £14000 to my name through hard work and toil.

Yeah but you're a surgeon aren't you so you are very well paid!! :rolleyes:

In all walks of life the odd few people will always cheat the system, this is something you unfortunately have to accept as a business owner. What you should never do is punish the genuine customer/paying supporter for the actions of these few.

What the criteria of a student is and isn't can be debated as a seperate issue even though my personal feeling is that under no circumstances should there be age discrimination.

The big picture is that the genuine majority ARE being punished for the actions of the minority and as a result not only these people lose but also the club as many will stop going due to affordability. I for one sincerely hopes Mick rethinks this decision.

Ps I am pretty sure only idiots call other people idiots in an attempt to make themselves feel more intellectual which is clearly not the case by re-reading your post

Well that told me didn't it.

As a man who is apparently in the know thinks it's OK to defraud Coventry Speedway who am I to argue.

If Mick reinstates this concession then I will be the first in the queue to sign up for a course and get my NUS card.

What an idiot I have been.

Well that told me didn't it.

As a man who is apparently in the know thinks it's OK to defraud Coventry Speedway who am I to argue.

If Mick reinstates this concession then I will be the first in the queue to sign up for a course and get my NUS card.

What an idiot I have been.

How on earth have you concluded that he says it is ok to defraud Coventry Speedway? What he says is that the majority should not suffer because of a few.

• Like 1

How on earth have you concluded that he says it is ok to defraud Coventry Speedway? What he says is that the majority should not suffer because of a few.

Because Mick has reviewed the admissions and he knows it is more than just a few who are abusing his generous concession.

Because Mick has reviewed the admissions and he knows it is more than just a few who are abusing his generous concession.

To me, the admission policy at brandon this year shows all the signs of a promoter who is struggling to pay his way.

He seems to be getting quite desperate, with his latest plea for the fans to " stick with him" and his woefully poor team building for this season

To think he inherited one of the best supported clubs in the country. How times change.

• Like 3