British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

The problem with Coventry is that their fanshave far too high expectations. The club has no money and even if it did, whats the point because the fans have given up and would rather moan on here than go along and support their team in their last season.

If Poole announced today that the council have sold the stadium to Barratt Homes and this was our last season, there would be major uproar from Poole fans and sponsors. But Coventry fans just seem to have meekly given up, a bit like their team this season judging by the posts on here.

The problem with Coventry is that their fanshave far too high expectations. The club has no money and even if it did, whats the point because the fans have given up and would rather moan on here than go along and support their team in their last season.

If Poole announced today that the council have sold the stadium to Barratt Homes and this was our last season, there would be major uproar from Poole fans and sponsors. But Coventry fans just seem to have meekly given up, a bit like their team this season judging by the posts on here.

And yet even with no money, we still managed to make play offs 2 years running under the same owner. We were top for most of last season and then unfortunately suffered injuries at the time of the play offs.

I know your just fishing but the Save Cov Speedway campaign hasn't given up, far from it.

I have been a lifelong fan of the sport, but i just can't muster the enthusiasm anymore to attend. I went to countless World finals home and abroad and loved it, i still watch the gp on tv, but it hasn't got that edge of the seat raw nervous energy of the old finals. Yes i understand it finds the most consistent champion, deserving etc, but the romance has gone. You watch a gp and oh well there is another one in 2 weeks if its pants. It has also ruined the british speedway scene, it has come full circle from the 70,s when journeymen poles and czechs qualified for world finals not because they were good enough, but because they were segregated from the rest of the western riders. Now the brits are the journeymen not good enough to qualify, our league is on its death bed where the best riders of the day can't be bothered to turn up regularly. The standard is dire with juniors who are patently not good enough making up the numbers in the top tier, just so we can muster 8 teams in a league, even the riders masquerading as number ones are bang average. In the old days the best riders would willingly ride here wherever it suited them, forming club loyalty, and continuity, now it seems the best choose where to ride based on the most suitable race night. If more teams rode on a wednesday maybe more riders would be inclined not to race for Poole but for other clubs, who could have a fairer chance,

How do we turn this around, maybe something akin to the NFL, we need to even up the competition so more teams can compete fairly with a reasonable chance of success, split the league into regional conferences with home and away fixtures against local teams, and then fixtures against varied other teams in different seasons to complete your matches. Then we operate an end of season playoffs system, for teams that qualify, maybe coming down to a one off superbowl type final for 2 or maybe 4 teams at a neutral track, On finals day it would be one rider per team per race as in the SWC format as how much true team riding do we get nowadays anyway.If the top riders were still interested they would be limited to one per team and race against those of a similar standard only, on finals day. You would have to have probably 3 reserve only races, to keep them involved as well. During the regular season race format could be as now, just more even hopefully.

• Like 1

That some serious twisting, "teams need 4-5 point riders" "there were 14 riders under 6" yes but how many under 5 as you stated? Off the top of my head the only riders to average less than 5 and rode 10 or more meeting (so basically didn't get sacked for it) in the last 2 season are Piotr Swiderski, Ty Proctor, Musliak and Robbo - possible Porsing. Even Hansen and Palm Toft got 5+

Not at all. If you read my original post and quote it accurately I said 4/5 point riders, not 4-5.In other words riders averaging 4 or 5. Hence my reference to riders averaging between 4 and 6. However you try to twist it, the facts are that virtually every team signed a 4 point rider this year. R Worrall, Woryna, Jakobsen/Huckenbeck,Tungate, Sedgmen, Swiderski, Klindt, effectively 7. How long they last is immaterial for the point I was making, which was that most teams need, because they sign, 4/5 point riders.

I also said in that same post#3141, that I wasn't suggesting that Palm-Toft is the answer to Coventry's problems, simply mentioning him as a 100% trier because of the references to him in the preceding posts.

Edited by Aces51

A rider averaging 5.5 is not a 4/5 point rider, he's a 5/6 point rider.

90% of the league averaged between 5-7 last season.

The fact is no one "needs" riders like mpt in this format, when you could get much better riders on materially the same average.

I doubt it ...most would be trying to buy one of the houses if the price was right

A rider averaging 5.5 is not a 4/5 point rider, he's a 5/6 point rider.

90% of the league averaged between 5-7 last season.

The fact is no one "needs" riders like mpt in this format, when you could get much better riders on materially the same average.

My intention and understanding is that 4/5 refers to 4 or 5, ie. any rider averaging between 4 and 6. If I had intended to exclude those averaging between 5 and 6 I would have said 4 to 5 or 4-5.

Regardless of that your argument is plainly lost because as I have shown, this year, under this format, 7 riders have been signed with an average of less than 5 to ride in the main body of the teams. That is a fact and proves there is a need. To argue otherwise is to claim they were signed despite not being needed.

As for MPT, Belle Vue needed him under this format and he improved his average and was one of the most popular riders we have had in recent years.

The only way teams will not need 4/5 point riders with the present points limit is to sign five 6 to 7 point riders. Obviously, nearly every team has chosen not to do that and to try to sign as many decent heat leaders as are available, leaving 4/5 point vacancies for the second strings. Which is why they are needed.

Edited by Aces51

OK but there is also a difference between signing a rider on an average, and that rider being expected to score to that average.

R Worrell was just over 4, but he is a 6-7 point second string. To me that means he is not a 4/5 pt rider.

I hope you're right about Richie. The likelihood is he will soon swap with Steve which will give him a false average but he has started the season well for Glasgow.

I'm sure every team hopes their 4/5 riders are really 6/7 point second strings but that is part of Coventry's problem. Not many thought and now think that Woryna is going to do that well and Garrity is going to struggle to do the same.

Edited by Aces51

I do believe Coventry will not make any changes they just don't have the ambition there imo

Ironic really isn't it?!

Really am shocked we're going into this meeting with no new signing. That really does show either a lack of ambition or simply a promotion team unable to fund a new rider. How the mighty have fallen.

Horton must think bringing the pole back should suffice!

🙈 We have a team where 5 of them have a 5pt average or below. Not even sure we would Make the play offs in the PL with this team.

🙈 We have a team where 5 of them have a 5pt average or below. Not even sure we would Make the play offs in the PL with this team.

Oh well what will be will be, I've given up moaning now.