British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

You seem to be understanding it now. The fans clamour to the play offs, the matches preceding them now have more meaning so they attract bigger crowds, these bigger crowds generate ?

So now you acknowledge this why would anyone suggest doing away with them

Hey, not all of us !!!!!!

Actually speedway, or any sport, shouldn't pander to the Luddite aspect.

To be honest speedway, if it was properly presented should have no interest to a large chunk of its current audience but it should seek a whole new audience.

Exactly like Barry Hearn did for the PDC. He wasn't interested in the few hundred pensioners sitting knitting in muted silence nursing a milk stout while watching what passed as darts 25 years ago. He knew the show he wanted to present would appall them, the point is at the expense of a few hundred coffin dodgers he attracted a whole new audience with a vibrant, noisy night out

Listen, if it wasn't for us 'Coffin Dodgers' the sport would have died years ago.... There's not many, who attended more meetings than I over the last 20 years.

Have huge respect for Barry Hearn and what he has achieved, but he would never be allowed to turn our sport into the modern times because the BSPA wouldn't want him too. The problems with Speedway has nothing to do with Coffin Dodgers, and I resent the implications.

IF the sport was more creditable, and all the Promoters thought of the sport first, probably then they could entice more people to attain. But while they think only of themselves, they continue to complicate the rules and belittle the important of bread and butter leagues matches the 'Micky Mouse' existence will continue.....

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 3

Listen, if it wasn't for us 'Coffin Dodgers' the sport would have died years ago.... There's not many, who attended more meetings than I over the last 20 years.

Have huge respect for Barry Hearn and what he has achieved, but he would never be allowed to turn our sport into the modern times because the BSPA wouldn't want him too. The problems with Speedway has nothing to do with Coffin Dodgers, and I resent the implications.

IF the sport was more creditable, and all the Promoters thought of the sport first, probably then they could entice more people to attain. But while they continue to complicate the rules and belittle the important of bread and butter leagues matches the 'Micky Mouse' existence will continue.....

Terrific Post GRW123. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

Terrific Post GRW123. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

Were you happy when the sport brought by the white helmet color?

Were you happy when the sport brought by the white helmet color?

Pardon - I don't understand?

I'll take a guess. Yes - I was happy when the White Helmet Cover was reinstated. Only problem was that under lights you could not distinguish between Yellow and White. Back to Yellow/Black now. Believe it or not - I am happy with that too. It should never have been changed in the first place.

I know it is only a small thing, and in the great scheme of things means very little - but yes - I do approve.

EDIT: The word is Colour not Color unless you are American - are you?

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

I'll take a guess. Yes - I was happy when the White Helmet Cover was reinstated. Only problem was that under lights you could not distinguish between Yellow and White. Back to Yellow/Black now. Believe it or not - I am happy with that too. It should never have been changed in the first place.

I know it is only a small thing, and in the great scheme of things means very little - but yes - I do approve.

Glad to see that the Yellow and Black helmet colour has been re-introduced. The green (do I recall that it was instigated for betting purposes?) helmet colour I had concerns with because under poor light it used to look blue! The original colours were brought in because Red and Blue are primarily dark colours (signifying the home team) whereas White and Yellow & Black were light (okay I know that black is dark but the helmet was chequered) to help relatively easy identification from a distance.

• Like 1

What has it done for the sport?

It's a total failure.

As regards resurrecting Speedway from the Ashes - it is singularly unsuccessful as is evidenced by ever decreasing Gates.

The way the promoters who all all on the BPSA just dither about year after year, changing one rule after another only to find they have made a bigger mess of things then when they started. If for once they sat and thought about the sport its self and tried to bring it into the 21st centuary, instead of being left in some long lost time warp and strted to consider the fans. Then I am afraid to say. That they will be seeing fewr and fewer people turn out to see the sport.

I for one am having second thoughts about next season.

..as for the fans most in all sports want and love the play offs and it only tends to be the over 55's who don't like them .

I like them and I'm definitely over 55. :lol: The only thing that is disappointing is the fact that if losing the semi final the season just fizzles out like Coventry's did and there isn't another meeting. No chance to thank the riders, no goodbyes. Mind you Hans was probably pleased to just quietly slink off to Poole without having to turn up in Bees colours again. :wink:

• Like 1

As regards resurrecting Speedway from the Ashes - it is singularly unsuccessful as is evidenced by ever decreasing Gates.

If you apply that test then it applies equally to the play offs.

Crowd levels have certainly dropped since their introduction and the argument that the sport lost more supporters before the play offs than since their introduction is far too simplistic. There were far more to lose because you start from a much higher base. Also, once you get down to the hard core you are less likely to lose them because most will carry on supporting their team no matter how much they disagree with the rules and politics.

We don't know and probably never shall whether the overall crowd levels over a whole season would be as bad as they are now if we had kept the fairer and more credible system of the team finishing top of the league being crowned champions. Everyone can put forward their opinion but that is all it is, an opinion.

• Like 3

Crowd levels have certainly dropped since their introduction and the argument that the sport lost more supporters before the play offs than since their introduction is far too simplistic. There were far more to lose because you start from a much higher base. Also, once you get down to the hard core you are less likely to lose them because most will carry on supporting their team no matter how much they disagree with the rules and politics.

We don't know and probably never shall whether the overall crowd levels over a whole season would be as bad as they are now if we had kept the fairer and more credible system of the team finishing top of the league being crowned champions. Everyone can put forward their opinion but that is all it is, an opinion.

Of course it would be useful if crowd figures were published as is the case in Sweden (or certainly used to be) so as to get an idea year on year how attendances (see other thread) have fallen and to judge, accurately, trends within the speedway going public. I remember many years ago a questionnaire in circulation asking fans to submit their views but I can't remember when or what even the questions were!!

No, but you can analyse all available data. You take 'playoffs'.. then see if 'playoffs' has had a detrimental effect in the sports it has been introduced in. If it was such a cancer a similar pattern would be seen elsewhere.. however it isn't.

Neither is there a 'credibility' problem elsewhere either, that's another myth you've thrown in.

Classic example, Rugby Union. Saracens finished 4th in the league but defeated Northampton who finished 1st in the Grand Final to become Premiership champions.

Credibility problems? None

Fans deserting the sport? Not at all

There is absolutely NO evidence... I repeat.. NONE.. to suggest that playoffs have had a detrimental effect on the sport. The problems causing the decline existed before the playoffs and are still there after their introduction.

One thing the playoffs HAS shown an ability to do is to get people to put aside the issues that stopped them from attending and go along to those meetings.

• Like 1

Whooosh

Always a good reply when you have lost the argument.

Always a good reply when you have lost the argument.

I'm having difficulty remaining polite with you WK.

You're not this dumb so why are you acting like it?

I asked you the question about the white helmet colour to highlight the ridiculousness of your claims with the playoffs. Your answer 100% confirmed it.

Its YOUR analogy we are using, not mine.. so its YOUR argument that has been lost, not mine.

YOU are the one who claims that because crowds have continued to decline after something was introduced, then said something is to blame.. YOUR argument, not mine.

So based on YOUR argument, the white helmet colour is to blame as well.

If you want to re-think your argument and put some kind of intelligent slant to it I'm all ears.

Yet again it's easy to gage as other sports have play offs and have worked ....so they have no problem with being credible so why would speedway fans ? ...so yet another only in speedway myth . as you say everyone can opinion but if your going to have one at least come up with logic or common sense on why crowds would be bigger when there would be nothing to race for most of the time ,

IF the sport was more creditable, and all the Promoters thought of the sport first, probably then they could entice more people to attain. But while they think only of themselves, they continue to complicate the rules and belittle the important of bread and butter leagues matches the 'Micky Mouse' existence will continue.....

Yet again being creditable and promoters putting fans first has nothing to do with subject matter the play offs first of all no other sports has no problems with the play offs and being creditable , Also most of the fans bar a % of over 55 love the plays offs so in that respect the promoters are putting the fans first .