British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

As far as I can gather, the ice hockey finals weekend is the semi-finals one day, the final the next. A double header followed by a single match the next day. Shouldn't be a problem for a National Stadium, surely.

From what I gather there are 8 teams in the league.All teams are in the quarter finals,then they have semi finals and a final.So they have 8 teams with 8 loads of fans with 7 games over a weekend.Don't think that is possible in speedway at one track.The comp is in April and indoors.Now have an end of season fiesta for speedway and it is in end of Sept or October.Who thinks standing outside for hours on end at that time of year in all sorts of weather is some sort of sporting bonanza?

Must have looked at old info.It is now 4 games

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/playoff-finals-weekend--p195911

Edited by iris123

From what I gather there are 8 teams in the league.All teams are in the quarter finals,then they have semi finals and a final.So they have 8 teams with 8 loads of fans with 7 games over a weekend.Don't think that is possible in speedway at one track.The comp is in April and indoors.Now have an end of season fiesta for speedway and it is in end of Sept or October.Who thinks standing outside for hours on end at that time of year in all sorts of weather is some sort of sporting bonanza?

Must have looked at old info.It is now 4 games

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/playoff-finals-weekend--p195911

Ah, I missed the 3rd/4th place play-off - two double headers, then.

Could strike lucky, weather's been glorious this past fortnight. :)

Ah, I missed the 3rd/4th place play-off - two double headers, then.

Could strike lucky, weather's been glorious this past fortnight. :)

Yes as you say it all depends on a large amount of luck.Ice Hockey and speedway are living in different worlds and I am a fan of both.But Ice Hockey thrives(if you can say that,as it seems even in the Uk some teams are struggling)in modern indoor stadia where everything is very comfortable with good seating and viewing,decent restaurants and food/drink outlets and importantly decent toilet facilities and usually a good sound system.Speedway isn't like that.Plus Ice Hockey generally has a season long of league games(now they have started a Champions League,but the UK teams play little part in that) with little else interspersed.Speedway isn't like that.

10 years ago in Germany we used to get an U21 meeting in the morning and a Bundesliga meeting in the afternoon.That ended and a couple of years ago I said how much I enjoyed those days.A rider said the track for the second meeting was very bad.Now while I think it might be possible to run two meetings in one day(not so sure about 4 meetings in one weekend)I doubt the riders would be willing to do it.Junior riders are much more willing.They often have two 80cc meetings in one day in Denmark and I think even maybe 4 or so over a weekend.But try getting senior riders to do it is another matter.There was the case of the junior riders doing their races last season at teterow,but the senior riders refused to go out on the track.......

Edited by iris123

I have answer your question with or without Sky plays offs would be in speedway and proved by the pl having them even thou sky don't show them . for 2002 season there was a vote on the plays offs and they were voted in .

Yes, I see you've edited your post to include an answer. If's that your belief then fine, but we don't know that they would have been voted in and that they'd have been title deciders if the 'suggestion' hadn't been made by Sky. Why a vote to have extra matches may well have failed has been posted before (that's why a lop-sided fixture programme was introduced) and we don't always follow every other sport or speedway league - we have yet to introduce a squad system, we don't have a set racing night and our play-offs are for the championship, many are not. But if you believe they would be in by now, fine, but having heard what some promoters were saying (one or two at first hand) back then I somehow doubt it.

To give you the answer you are looking for, Sky may have suggested the playoffs to the BSPA, given as they are so successful in every other sport they are used in. That then would have gone to a vote and the Elite League promoters voted to adopt them.

Clearly the Premier League promoters, under no pressure from Sky whatsoever decided that the playoffs would be beneficial to them too. Indeed, as has been recounted earlier in the thread, they did drop them for one year before reinserting them for the following year as they realised their mistake.

Yes, I think we are agreed on Sky's 'suggestion' being the catalyst but I go with the 'we want the title decider so have these play-offs or we're off' suggestion rather than 'we know how four clubs can make a bit of extra cash'. And yes, they would have to be voted in but three-line whip springs to mind.

I take the point that the PL introduced play-offs but that was after they proved successful for some clubs in the EL. But, had Sky not introduced them in the first place....

Yes, I see you've edited your post to include an answer. If's that your belief then fine, but we don't know that they would have been voted in and that they'd have been title deciders if the 'suggestion' hadn't been made by Sky. Why a vote to have extra matches may well have failed has been posted before (that's why a lop-sided fixture programme was introduced) and we don't always follow every other sport or speedway league - we have yet to introduce a squad system, we don't have a set racing night and our play-offs are for the championship, many are not. But if you believe they would be in by now, fine, but having heard what some promoters were saying (one or two at first hand) back then I somehow doubt it.

Yes, I think we are agreed on Sky's 'suggestion' being the catalyst but I go with the 'we want the title decider so have these play-offs or we're off' suggestion rather than 'we know how four clubs can make a bit of extra cash'. And yes, they would have to be voted in but three-line whip springs to mind.

I take the point that the PL introduced play-offs but that was after they proved successful for some clubs in the EL. But, had Sky not introduced them in the first place....

??? not sure why you keep going on about the promoters being unhappy ..they voted them in . just like they pl promoters voted them in even thou none of the play off matches were going to be shown on sky .

Edited by orion

??? not sure why you keep going on about the promoters being unhappy ..they voted them in . just like they pl promoters voted them in even thou none of the play off matches were going to be shown on sky .

I've posted why I keep going on about some promoters being unhappy - I found out first hand from a couple! They were voted in by the EL but have you read all of that post you quoted? Can't put it any clearer.

You've been going to speedway long enough. you must have read or heard of a couple of the promoters wanting less fixtures, both cup competitions have been dropped, an uneven fixture list was introduced (playing some teams four times, others twice) to reduce matches. Free-choice decisions have all been to reduce fixtures not increase them and, had they not have been introduced, thanks to Sky, their success would never have been discovered and would not have been in their armoury for any discussion on the subject even if the idea of play-offs would have been brought up.

Edited by Barney Rabbit

The attendances, on TV and live in the PL, are so much higher than any regular meetings that the question is answered.

Play-offs are good. Create big crowds. Make money. Keep clubs afloat.

Next question, please?

The attendances, on TV and live in the PL, are so much higher than any regular meetings that the question is answered.

Play-offs are good. Create big crowds. Make money. Keep clubs afloat.

Next question, please?

Oh!!!

Do all Clubs get a 'cut' of the Play Off money?

Oh!!!

Do all Clubs get a 'cut' of the Play Off money?

No, But they benefit from larger crowds in the race to make the playoffs..The playoffs keep the season alive, just as they do in football and other sports..The fans would soon drift away with nothing to ride/play for....The Play Offs are here to stay and thats great for any sport!

• Like 2

No, But they benefit from larger crowds in the race to make the playoffs..The playoffs keep the season alive, just as they do in football and other sports..The fans would soon drift away with nothing to ride/play for....The Play Offs are here to stay and thats great for any sport!

In your opinion, to which, of course, you are entitled.

I can't imagine that the 'race to make he play-off's' created larger crowds at Lakeside, Monmore or Leicester this season. Similar in the PL where probably only Plymouth and Ipswich might have benefited from any added interest in achieving the final play-off berth.

At least in other sports that have promotion and relegation, interest can be maintained at both ends of the table, possibly until the final fixtures.

In an 8 x team EL, include all 8 x teams in the end of season play-off's to give them all some meaningful end of season fixtures and this would provide the teams at the bottom of the table with an opportunity to host the 'top' teams again and with the chance of a 'giant killing'.

I'm sure that Poole's and other fans would find the possibility of the team that finishes 8th being crowned league winners acceptable.

(It is odd that the biggest sport in this country still does not embrace the concept of play-off's to decide its league winners (and runners-up) and only considers it necessary to utilise the concept to determine the minor promotion position in each league.)

• Like 1

It's staggering how when people argue against the playoffs they more often than not don't realise they're arguing against the old system even more.. The post above is a perfect example

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

So you are saying people won't bother attending meetings where nothing is at stake? There are far less meetings where nothing is at stake under a play off system than under a league system.

So you are actually presenting an argument in favour of the playoffs, as per bwitchers post immediately before yours.

• Like 3

play offs are going nowhere - this argument is dead - they fetch in far too much money - you may not like them but thousands do

Would add that promotions should pretty much always decrease prices for sky meetings, aim to get a good crowd and treat it as marketing.

Exceptions would be the play offs.

• Like 2