British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

cricket gets massive crowds in India anyway, but hey you might just have stumbled on the answer.

Instead of each team racing each other home and away twice in the qualifiers you could run a traditional league championship and call the winners league champions and invent and run a completely different form of speedway with a league qualifier and a cup format to decide the winner and call the winners the 'completely different form of speedway league champions'.

We could have something like one lap races, relay races, fixed lanes, three against one races, double points power plays etc etc. It might not appeal to some but some people don't like 20/20 cricket and I'm sure you will be able to come up with a better name for the new format than I did.

The key is that the kind of people who don't like 20/20 and the kind of people who don't like plays offs etc ..the one thing speedway does not need is idea's like cricket has brought in that brought in massive crowds :rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

The reason they brought it in was to try to save it as was already a dead duck ..so not the reason your looking for .

Really? I attended a couple of finals just before that and, as Colin Mills said, they were well attended.

Best crowds are for the league playoffs. Why would you think that a cup final wouldnt be a big draw?
And thats not just for Speedway. Pretty much all sports draw big crowds in playoffs and Cup Finals.

still awaiting to hear the last cup final crowd that was lower turnout than a normal league match???

• Like 1

Cheer up

When did cricket change? I'm pretty sure Yorkshire finished top of the league and were crowned champions this year.

Yup!! :t::approve: :approve:

derrrr, the league is a massive flop, ave 700 a week at most venues, league cup is a flop, in fact the whole sport in England is a flop. the ONLY success crowd wise IS the play offs, so do we just hold 2 games a year??? we just give up "promoting" the sport and throw away cup comps?

Might as well chuck out the League Matches - they count for nothing anyway.

Apart from getting in to a Cup Competition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

You'll be suggesting a five match test series against Australia next.

No ..but what I would subject as we speak the powers that be are to change Test Cricket as overall it's not working ,,,of course you are aware of that

No ..but what I would subject as we speak the powers that be are to change Test Cricket as overall it's not working ,,,of course you are aware of that

I don't think they will change the 'Ashes' orion.

At least I bloody hope not.

I don't think they will change the 'Ashes' orion.

At least I bloody hope not.

I hope not as well ..when it comes to cricket I am old school to be fair .....but as said overall test cricket is finding it hard ...are know you love this but they going to bring in day /night test matches with Pink balls etc :wink:

• Like 1

I hope not as well ..when it comes to cricket I am old school to be fair .....

The beauty of Twenty20 was that it didn't fundamentally change the game into nonsense. It's better than ODIs in that respect, what with the endless tinkering of power plays and super subs etc..

The one change I'd make is to stop allowing players to play with tree trunks rather than bats. Does the ball really need to be going out of the stadium every over?

BTW - they have tinkered with the test match format over the years.

The KO Cup Final crowds held up ok..

However the early rounds did not and were attracting crowds way lower than league meetings.

Personally I liked it.

I think the American and National Leagues are still generally considered worth winning in their own right, even if the big prize is the World Series.

Not disputing that, indeed the individual leagues are worth winning.. I know that from experience as my Blue Jays have just clinched the American League East. However, that's just a stepping stone, a nice bonus on the way to the bigger prizes ahead.

I was merely highlighting to Ouch that play-offs are the norm in most team sports, whereas he was trying to allude, via his 'mate' that they're not.

Edited by BWitcher

The KO Cup Final crowds held up ok..

However the early rounds did not and were attracting crowds way lower than league meetings.

Personally I liked it.

The issue, IMO, with the KOC was that meeting were squashed in with a few weeks notice. How can people really plan to go to a meeting when they dont know it happening until 3 weeks before it happens? Give the KOC round 1 (any possible prelims) a deadline of May 1st, the next round June 15th, the Semis August 1st and the final September 15th. Gives 6 weeks to arrange and run each meeting. Any meeting not run is a 60-30 home loss, both legs failed then the team they're due to face gets a bye.

The issue, IMO, with the KOC was that meeting were squashed in with a few weeks notice. How can people really plan to go to a meeting when they dont know it happening until 3 weeks before it happens? Give the KOC round 1 (any possible prelims) a deadline of May 1st, the next round June 15th, the Semis August 1st and the final September 15th. Gives 6 weeks to arrange and run each meeting. Any meeting not run is a 60-30 home loss, both legs failed then the team they're due to face gets a bye.

Of course, but that would require sensible fixture planning.. so the chances are zero!

WHEN Speedway Star was sponsoring it we had some great Finals, big crowds but then, as you say, the promoters effectively wrecked it. Some years we didn't have time to preview the event let alone three weeks. The final straw for SS was when we turned up for the second leg of the Final with medals and the trophy only to find that without any notice we had been usurped as sponsors, no mention in the programme and not even access to the hospitality suite.

• Like 1