British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

So why do you think they don't have the Craven and jack young shields anymore etc ? because the fans loved them and they made loads of money.... or the fans never went meaning that clubs lost lots of money ?

Are rather a team who won the league by ten won nothing rather than speedway clubs going bust when the fans stop turning up because the season is over by may

the 98 craven shield final was a nice turnout I recall

the 98 craven shield final was a nice turnout I recall

I don't think orion wants to know about that Colin. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

sorry for repeating myself here, but if you are a floating fan, not a go at all costs kind of fan.

If your team was poole or Edinburgh, between march and September, would you go as much to a match, under the old or new format?

I would guess, this type of fan would wait until the play offs?..hence, you get weeks and weeks

of floating fans, staying away until the play offs..

Another example is, why would a poole/Edinburgh fan travel away early season? again, unless you are commited, the early results are not that important any longer.

These large crowds at the play offs are not all newbies flocking to speedway, these are the 50/50s waiting

for a meaningful fixture..

Spot on and with the playoffs there are more meaningful fixtures.

Well done for presenting another argument in their favour!

You and BW need to ask yourselves - if the Play Off System is so great - then why are people leaving the Sport in droves?

I would again mention the fairness of it all too - Sport - Circus more like. Other stupid Rules too.

If Speedway was so poor without the Play Offs years ago - how come the Crowds were so much greater?

Can you not see a corrolation there?

I know I can.

However - you keep your heads in the sand and when Speedway is dead you can say it wasn't your fault. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No you can't, unless you are making it up.

I will spell it out for you plainly and simply.

CROWDS WERE DECLINING BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS.

Your analogy is like setting a bonfire alight.. then when 75% of it is burned, you throw a bucket of water on it, but it continues to burn... and you blame the water for it burning.

• Like 1

I don't think orion wants to know about that Colin. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

? of course I want to know ....as I said if they were so good and made loads of money why do you think they don't have them anymore . the reason was overall hardly anyone turn up, I think Swindon had one of there lowest crowds ever and clubs lost shed loads of money ...it's not hard to figure out

Edited by orion

There is not much of this I understand.

Couldd you please put it in plain English for me.

PLEASE.

So why do you think they don't have the Craven and jack young shields anymore etc ? because the fans loved them and they made loads of money.... or the fans never went meaning that clubs lost lots of money ?

Are rather a team who won the league by ten won nothing rather than speedway clubs going bust when the fans stop turning up because the season is over by may

Are you telling me an EL club that now has many staggered meeting's 10 or 12 home meeting's tops?.Often us supporters at home get in the habit of not going with rain/offs lack of meeting's the bloody GPS dictating everything.Surely that extra carrot for the fans would be good wouldnt it? enlighten me Orion how many home meeting's are there.? Edited by sidney

Are you telling me an EL club that now has many staggered meeting's 10 or 12 home meeting's tops?.Often us supporters at home get in the habit of not going with rain/offs lack of meeting's the bloody GPS dictating everything.Surely that extra carrot for the fans would be good wouldnt it? enlighten me Orion how many home meeting's are there.?

How many do you think they have in Sweden and Poland .......you could have five home meetings a year but unless there was something worthwhile to ride for the modern fan won't go

Edited by orion

How many do you think they have in Sweden and Poland .......you could have five home meetings a year but unless there was something worthwhile to ride for the modern fan won't go

now we getting somewhere!...hence Britain needs the one night a week format. like the play offs (like them or not), ALL meetings need to be meaningful
  • Like 1

I have seen it from both angles 20 home meetings plus challenges individual meetings test matches (ect ) this Play/off nonsense is a myth surely you must be starved of the lack of home meetings.?

pre GPs, we held big big individuals with top riders..olympique, blue riband etc. these kind of

fixtures filled out the fixture list..Top riders always seemed to have a real go at these events, you

wouldn't see a rider go near these events today

I have seen it from both angles 20 home meetings plus challenges individual meetings test matches (ect ) this Play/off nonsense is a myth surely you must be starved of the lack of home meetings.?

Not really Sid ...like many others I am going go if it's looks like a decent meeting or we have a chance of making the play offs if that means going to six home matches then so be it .....

Not really Sid ...like many others I am going go if it's looks like a decent meeting or we have a chance of making the play offs if that means going to six home matches then so be it .....

For me i go to see as many home meetings that are put on the fixture list, mainly for the entertainment value good racing a good night out winning means nothing to me to be honest.
  • Like 1

I agree Sidney, a good night out at Speedway is great, but the playoffs are brilliant, hyped up, turbo charged nonsense that drag the crowds in. I like them.

With the GPS having a massive impact on British speedway and the lack of EL teams.The danger for me is people get out of the habit of going to speedway regularly anyway,last year at times two or three weeks without a meeting.People have now found other things to do and therefore pick and choose there meetings where before they would be there week after week.

I bet if you interviewed 10,000 speedway fans and asked what they thought was right about speedway and what was wrong that the play-offs would come a long way down the wrong column and very high up the right column. There are many far greater issues.

I bet if you interviewed 10,000 speedway fans and asked what they thought was right about speedway and what was wrong that the play-offs would come a long way down the wrong column and very high up the right column. There are many far greater issues.

Yes, if you asked those at a meeting you're probably right. Ask those that no longer go though and your findings may be different. And I firmly believe there's a better chance of getting ex-devotees back than getting total newbies in.

• Like 1