British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

Classic he makes a post about not calling people names ..and his next post is yet again more name calling ....I don't need to call you a liar as your above post shows it .

Give your dad a buzz because you never TRY to debate on your own you need a bit of help.The few Swindon fans who i know who know you???? tell me you ent got a clue certainly on the history of Swindon Speedway.!!?? Edited by sidney

Classic he makes a post about not calling people names ..and his next post is yet again more name calling ....I don't need to call you a liar as your above post shows it .

You have been given evidence time and time again but sadly you can't digest it ...we have ask you very nicely why the crowds and money would be better without the play offs many times ...sadly you have not been able to answer a simple question

Ohhhh - Penfold. :rofl:

Penfold isn't lying - it is just gently taking the mickey. :) Unfortunately you seem to take that as lying. I obviously overestimated your intelligence. :sad: I'm sorry about that.

How is Dangermouse these days? :unsure:

Very sad that despite making constructive posts and asking genuine questions all Sidney and WK can do is continue to hurl insults.

I'll try one more time to see if genuine debate can be engaged with either of you.

Why do you think the National League have re-introduced playoffs?

I've purposely tried to take a back seat regarding this particular subject because of all the abuse and finger pointing that any comment against the Play-Off system from certain quarters generate but...

It's no secret (well chronicled elsewhere) that I gave up attending speedway in 2003 thru' various reasons but mainly due to re-location. My team (Oxford) won the last traditional championship in 2001 after a very closely fought season long battle with Poole. The matches all season long were well supported because we felt we had a team that would be challenging for the title. The next season (2002) it was decided to re-structure the league format and hold play-offs to decide the league champions. Oxford were denied an opportunity to defend their title because SKY had decided that the 'qualifying' matches should be completed by the end of August. However, Oxford's visit to Peterborough didn't take place as it fell outside that remit. If Oxford had won that match they would have claimed the last play-off spot however Peterborough 'qualified' instead (even though one could argue that they were at fault for not running the fixture within the agreed time scale).

Hence why my enthusiasm began to wain (although to be fair it had been on the decline for a number of years). I have no interest in the economies of play-offs as I haven't access to such figures and it's beyond my remit and, to be frank, my interest as I no longer attend matches. I'll let those who still have a vestige interest in the sport to 'discuss' the pros and cons but my underlying feeling of play-offs are in the negative due to the irregularities of its initial inception and the fact that my team was denied an opportunity to defend their title thru' no fault of their making!

So basically you stopped going because you relocated and your enthusiasm was already on the decline.

I agree that not running fixtures isn't ideal, but that comes down to the poor organisation of the BSPA.... like many of the issues!

So basically you stopped going because you relocated and your enthusiasm was already on the decline.

I agree that not running fixtures isn't ideal, but that comes down to the poor organisation of the BSPA.... like many of the issues!

Yes!

Yes!

You see, we can discuss it civilly!

A question I would ask now is, what was causing your enthusiasm to decline do you think prior to that.. as that wasn't playoff related. The picture is far, far bigger than playoffs as I have been trying to get across.

You see, we can discuss it civilly!

A question I would ask now is, what was causing your enthusiasm to decline do you think prior to that.. as that wasn't playoff related. The picture is far, far bigger than playoffs as I have been trying to get across.

A long, long saga but for many various reasons (which I have chronicled elsewhere) Where to start? Heat formula, points limits, team suits, lack of continuity, lack of British riders, value for money, BSPA, manipulation of regulations, machines and/or tuners, GP etc etc

As I have commented elsewhere i have helped behind the scenes, given promotional talks etc but for no real benefit. Unfortunately I feel that the sport has dug itself a big hole and really needs to accept that attendances are constantly on the slide and people have decided to look elsewhere for entertainment and needs to take a big look at itself. Has the day come that the 'star' riders need to be given an ultimatum to chose between competing in Britain or ride in the GP or abroad (many apparently already do)? Personally I think so but as I say I no longer have a vestige interest in the sport and it's up to others to 'discuss' the sports merits/short falls/rescue in turning the sport round. I did my bit for 32 years!

I'll continue reminiscing about the 'good old days!'

Edited by steve roberts

Penfold isn't lying - it is just gently taking the mickey. :) Unfortunately you seem to take that as lying. I obviously overestimated your intelligence. :sad: I'm sorry about that.

Take a step back from your post ..and have a look how childish it is ...your such an embarrassment .

Give your dad a buzz because you never TRY to debate on your own you need a bit of help.The few Swindon fans who i know who know you???? tell me you ent got a clue certainly on the history of Swindon Speedway.!!??

Sorry you lost me ? the subject is about the play offs not about the history of Swindon Speedway or what your mates think I know about it ...as I ask before why would the crowds be bigger without the play offs ?

• Like 1

Very sad that despite making constructive posts and asking genuine questions all Sidney and WK can do is continue to hurl insults.

I'll try one more time to see if genuine debate can be engaged with either of you.

Why do you think the National League have re-introduced playoffs?

I recon me and WK are saints? i can never ever remember WK being nasty no he is a fair man listens wont always agree but he is Geniune.Can you debate unless you WIN??i have me doubts but like i have said before endless times on speedway issues over a period you are pretty limited in your speedway knowledge.
  • Like 1

Take a step back from your post ..and have a look how childish it is ...your such an embarrassment .

Sorry you lost me ? the subject is about the play offs not about the history of Swindon Speedway or what your mates think I know about it ...as I ask before why would the crowds be bigger without the play offs ?

The couple of mates of mine who i wont say who they are, know you still say you are a compete prat a bit harsh i suppose will give you the benefit of the doubt. Edited by sidney

Ok I am now going to attempt to answer some of the points below to the best of my ability. I hope that I can do so without resorting to bad manners, that will certainly be my aim.

When I have finished I don't imagine that I will be making another post on the subject (though you never know) as I don't see the point. I would like to make it clear that this is not because I in anyway concede any of the points in the posts I am quoting or any other. This means that I will of course be leaving others to have the last word but I don't have a problem with that.

Unlike others I am not stating that I am right. As I have previously said I believe its not as black and white as that. However my views are my views and I have not (so far) heard any argument that has made me change my mind. My view is simple. Play offs in a speedway context are unfair for reasons I have already stated and will probably restate below. We have been compared in this debate to other sports which is why I have said in a speedway context. This sport is unique in so many ways and one of those ways is the home track advantage argument. No other team sport that I can think of carries so big an advantage to the home team. One of the reasons that I have suggested that any T/S rule should only be available to the away team. I am not holding myself up as the be all and know all on speedway matters and I am happy to be criticised and corrected if this is done with good manners.

Anyway for what it's worth here is my attempt at answering the points made.

When people make posts that deserve some respect then I agree.

I have to fundamentally disagree with you on this. Every poster deserves respect and that respect should not be dependent upon the content of their post/s. Put simply if you cannot respect a person then you cannot expect respect back.

However we have three or four posters on here who quite simply cannot process information. They cannot see what is in front of their face.

Again I have to take issue with this statement. I could just as easily say (and I am not saying this because my mother brought me up right.) that you are not able to explain what you want to say in any meaningful way. Both statements, yours and mine are wrong and do nothing to move the debate on.

Their idea has been TRIED and FAILED. No supposition, no if's, but's or maybe's... their system has been scrapped as of 2nd December.

Failed! In what way have they failed. Last years NL was run succesfully as far as I am aware.No clubs went under and in fact the league has now expanded. Doesn't feel like a failure to me. And in any case we have no idea why the change has been made. No info has come out on that one. What we do know is that the vote was NOT unanimous so at least some of the clubs did not see it as a failure. Also as I have previously stated. This sport is run in a way that means club before sport. We do not know why each club voted the way it did. Although we may conjecture that Eastbourne did if for reasons of competitiveness rather than monetary reasons. But that would only be conjecture as is your assertion that it is due solely for financial reasons.

They wanted hard and fast evidence, the National League has provided it.

No they did not. See above.

Yet none of them even acknowledge it and blindly ignore what is happening in the real world and continue to post the same thing over and over and over.

I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave some paragraphs ago.

Such posts deserve no respect, indeed such posts are essentially trolling and against forum rules.

Let me get this straight if I may. You appear to be saying that it is against forum rules to disagree with what you are saying. WOW!

Throw in that one of them is a multiple account holder flagrantly flouting forum rules because he thinks he is clever and you get this mess.

Some might say that throwing accusation around without providing proof is a form of trolling. I couldn't possibly say that. I would say, however, that this debate is no place for such accusations. Rather your suspicions should be reported to the mods.

It has nothing to do with being a keyboard warrior, what is being said on here is tame compared to what would happen in any business environment if such actions were displayed.

If you say so. Again brings nothing to the debate.

I am in control, as evidenced by real life events.

WOW!

Most recently backed up on the 2nd December when the National League having tried your system of the winners of the league being champions and staging a Gold Cup at the end of the season abandoned it because it was WORSE.

So again, not me who is saying it.. but real life events.

It is my contention that your logic is faulty here for reasons I have already stated.

Another post that is for the children's section.

Again brings nothing to the debate and is, i respectfully suggest, bad manners, unhelpful and possibly says more about you than the post you were referring to.

You admit playoffs work financially but then claims fans won't go because they are unfair! :rofl:

I have said nothing of the kind. In fact I have been honest enough to say that 'I don't know'. But then again neither do you, or at least if you do you have not provided the evidence to show it. I am guessing that you are saying that the return of the play off is proof enough. But I have already provided arguments to counter that assertion. So once again we are in the realm of opinion and not fact.

You do realise that playoffs exist in many, many sports, none of which have any problems with perception or being unfair.

Home track advantage does not exist to the extent it does in speedway. This is of course IMO. My guess is that if I wanted to I could get statistics to prove it and you could probably do the same. Statistics lie. However its true and cannot be denied that Birmingham won the league last year but would not have if it went to play offs. It is my assertion that this would have been fundamentally unfair.

Does Rugby Union have a problem with perception because they use playoffs? No they're enjoying record crowds.

I have been told that Rugby have two trophies. One for the league winners and one for the play off winners. I would have no problem with that. I have not had the chance to check this out so apologise if that fact is wrong. However home track advantage plays a bigger part in speedway. Would Rugby union fans be happy with play offs if one team made an advantage by playing on a surface that no other team played on?

Does Rugby League have a problem? No.

Do people stop going to football because the team in 6th placed in the Championship got promoted to the Premier League over the team in 3rd? No.

They don't like it though. My god do they complain.

Do any of the multitude of other sports that use playoffs have problems? No

Quite simply. as is evidenced by REAL LIFE you're making things up in an attempt to form an argument.

I have certainly made up nothing. I have voiced an opinion and given reasons for those opinions. If I have made anything up then please point it out and will gladly apologise.

In finishing I will say.

It is a shame that some have not been able to conduct a debate without bad manners. I hope that this accusation cannot be made against me and if I have upset anyone, it was not intended and I apologise.

I have enjoyed the debate such as it is. I do not and never have expected to change the opinion of those I have debated with. Those opinions are honestly held and I respect and understand that. For me the debate is for those that are wavering or have no firm opinion. I will now leave the debate for others. Not because I have nothing more to say (those that know me know that will never be true :) ) not because others posts or opinions are so strong that I am not able to repudiate. No the real reason is that I have a life. Anyway members of this site have now heard my voice for long enough on this subject and its time for others to have their say. I would just ask that everyone, from both sides, treat each other with respect. Don't forget that the only reason that any of this is important to us is the love and passion we have for this sport. That is something we all have in common, and there is not enough of us to fall out over such things.

I have to finish with.

Brummies are Best.

lol

• Like 2

Ok I am now going to attempt to answer some of the points below to the best of my ability. I hope that I can do so without resorting to bad manners, that will certainly be my aim.

When I have finished I don't imagine that I will be making another post on the subject (though you never know) as I don't see the point. I would like to make it clear that this is not because I in anyway concede any of the points in the posts I am quoting or any other. This means that I will of course be leaving others to have the last word but I don't have a problem with that.

Unlike others I am not stating that I am right. As I have previously said I believe its not as black and white as that. However my views are my views and I have not (so far) heard any argument that has made me change my mind. My view is simple. Play offs in a speedway context are unfair for reasons I have already stated and will probably restate below. We have been compared in this debate to other sports which is why I have said in a speedway context. This sport is unique in so many ways and one of those ways is the home track advantage argument. No other team sport that I can think of carries so big an advantage to the home team. One of the reasons that I have suggested that any T/S rule should only be available to the away team. I am not holding myself up as the be all and know all on speedway matters and I am happy to be criticised and corrected if this is done with good manners.

Anyway for what it's worth here is my attempt at answering the points made.

In finishing I will say.

It is a shame that some have not been able to conduct a debate without bad manners. I hope that this accusation cannot be made against me and if I have upset anyone, it was not intended and I apologise.

I have enjoyed the debate such as it is. I do not and never have expected to change the opinion of those I have debated with. Those opinions are honestly held and I respect and understand that. For me the debate is for those that are wavering or have no firm opinion. I will now leave the debate for others. Not because I have nothing more to say (those that know me know that will never be true :) ) not because others posts or opinions are so strong that I am not able to repudiate. No the real reason is that I have a life. Anyway members of this site have now heard my voice for long enough on this subject and its time for others to have their say. I would just ask that everyone, from both sides, treat each other with respect. Don't forget that the only reason that any of this is important to us is the love and passion we have for this sport. That is something we all have in common, and there is not enough of us to fall out over such things.

I have to finish with.

Brummies are Best.

lol

A very good and respectful Post to which no-one could take offence GA. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I recon me and WK are saints? i can never ever remember WK being nasty no he is a fair man listens wont always agree but he is Geniune.Can you debate unless you WIN??i have me doubts but like i have said before endless times on speedway issues over a period you are pretty limited in your speedway knowledge.

You've said this now around 10 times on the thread, that's not debating, that's acting like a child again.

Once again, simple question.

Why do you think the National League AND the Premier League went back to the playoffs?

I have little doubt you won't answer it Sidney, neither will White Knight.. because the answer destroys the entire crux of your argument.

Edited by BWitcher

The couple of mates of mine who i wont say who they are, know you still say you are a compete prat a bit harsh i suppose will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yea you say the same thing about 10 times now ....No one gets hurt or upset about it the first time let alone the 10th ...not only is it boring its child like saying my mate say this about you ..it's belongs in the school playground .