British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

I take it there is no sign of anything bar houses going up? In which case they have to hope the old place doesn't have any accidents.

Even if Stadia UK were to build a new one, which I have to doubt, it wont be ready anytime this season.

Edited by remembertheracers

Don't Stadia UK want a new stadium for greyhounds then?!

Let's say a stadium costs £5m to build and makes £500,000 a year profit. It would take 10 years to recoup the cost of the build and after 20 years you'd have made£5m profit.

Alternatively you could build 200 houses and sell them at a profit of £100,000 each. You'd make a quick £20m and could retire to an island in the Caribbean.

Which would you choose?

• Like 3

I thought the Greyhounds was doing ok? it is a bags track and they get a fair bit from SIS I believe.?

Swindon do have a BAGS contract, they are the money spinners for stadiums.

Swindon do have a BAGS contract, they are the money spinners for stadiums.

Which could easily move to Stadia UK's Poole operation - where happily they only lease the stadium from Poole council.

Time to get your MP Jason Tomllinson on the case and write to your local paper and stir it up.

• Like 1

Let's say a stadium costs £5m to build and makes £500,000 a year profit. It would take 10 years to recoup the cost of the build and after 20 years you'd have made£5m profit.

Alternatively you could build 200 houses and sell them at a profit of £100,000 each. You'd make a quick £20m and could retire to an island in the Caribbean.

Which would you choose?

Build the stadium and make £30 to £40 million, providing the council stick to the present conditions which will allow them to build and sell more houses only when the stadium is built.

Edited by A ORLOV

Build the stadium and make £30 to £40 million, providing the council stick to the present conditions which will allow them to build and sell more houses only when the stadium is built.

There isn't £40m to be made from running a stadium, the economics simply don't add up.

There isn't £40m to be made from running a stadium, the economics simply don't add up.

The additional money comes from the building of the houses over the 200 allowed before the stadium must be built, the total number of planned houses of 450 which may be increased now that the developer is asking for a reduction in the size of the industrial area, not from the running of the stadium.

I will accept that the council has been to trusting in allowing the building of 200 houses before a start on the stadium should have been made, the number should have been lower.

Edited by A ORLOV

They must be close to 200 by now.

And remember, the restrictions isn't until the new stadium is built, its until contracts for the new stadium are signed - whatever that means.

I doubt it. Greyhound racing is, if anything, struggling more than speedway. They have Poole,, their CEO Osbourne must be nearly 70..

Indeed, he's going to want to get a wiggle on. At the rate things are moving its going to end up being called The Clarke Osborne Memorial Stadium. That would be very sad, after all of his hard work, to not actually be around to see it built. :cry:

Fixtures released with an away meeting at Somerset on March 18th followed by home and away EL meetings against Poole on 25th and 27th, so no challenge at Swindon before season starts.

http://www.swindonrobins.co/fixtures16.php

I see the Sunday 27th is provisional?! Poole are showing Good Friday evening for the Swindon meeting at Blunsdon - also provisional?!

The Poole v Swindon meeting on 25th March in the morning is currently showing as 1100 am start - but I guess this might also change if there is no rush to get up to Blunsdon?! Watch this space..........

Edited by Skidder1

The early meeting on the 25th is probably taking account of the meeting at Somerset as we have Josh and Charles and Stefan who could be there.

• Like 1

The early meeting on the 25th is probably taking account of the meeting at Somerset as we have Josh and Charles and Stefan who could be there.

I believe that only Charles is an issue for us as he's owned by Somerset, Josh & Stefan are owned by EL sides so we have priority.

I believe that only Charles is an issue for us as he's owned by Somerset, Josh & Stefan are owned by EL sides so we have priority.

That is correct, but best to try and avoid any missing riders. At the moment Rosco has stated that he should only be missing for a couple of meetings.