British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

Why not offer everyone who lives on the estate 5 quid entry.

Might attract a few more fans, and even if not it shows up as a gesture of good will.

Better to have these people onside.

• Like 1

Apparently in the past more people have been complaining about the speaker system from the dogs than the noise from the speedway, probably due to the number of days of the week they run.

Not sure if the same number of fans from Swindon who attend would travel to Highworth for every meeting, even more might pick and choose the meetings they attend than did last year.

The Freke Arms would attract a heck of a lot more.business though!

Why not offer everyone who lives on the estate 5 quid entry.

Might attract a few more fans, and even if not it shows up as a gesture of good will.

Better to have these people onside.

That would hint that the problem was real, and the speedway was bribing the locals....

Not the best move.

• Like 1

The Freke Arms would attract a heck of a lot more.business though!

A fyne local hostelry...the biggest steak n'ale pie I hath ever devoured.

That would hint that the problem was real, and the speedway was bribing the locals....

Not the best move.

I live near Newbury racecourse and they sometimes put concerts on.

Every time they do, local residents get a voucher for cheap admission to a race meeting. It's a gesture that is appreciated.

Every time they do, local residents get a voucher for cheap admission to a race meeting. It's a gesture that is appreciated.

It's always wise to invite your neighbours to a noisy house party :D

It's always wise to invite your neighbours to a noisy house party :D

Exactly. And they might enjoy it.

Screw the neighbours. The speedway was there long before they were. Suck it up or move.

It's all very well having that sort of attitude, but surely it's better to try and make it something local people are actually interested in.

Edited by grachan

Nice idea and good luck with that.

But if all they want to do is bitch then its still pretty much just screw 'em.

EDIT: Swindon, indeed speedway as a whole, needs to cut prices to attract fans back who have deserted the sport. Giving reduced admission to placate a few whiney neighbours isn't really the Big Plan the sport needs.

In fact it might only serve to piss of long standing supporters who have been there through thick and thin. And thinner. And thinner again.

Edited by BuzzCagney
  • Like 2

So assuming the new stadium is being built at some point, and untill such time Does anybody know how long you have in the Abbey Can you run in there for a full season ?

I completely agree with this - I too live within earshot of Newbury racecourse and the freebie/discounted tickets for local residents are definitely appreciated and would possibly be a good idea for the Swindon promotion to consider...

grachan - We must almost be neighbours! I'm just off Pinchington Lane near the car dealerships - anywhere near you?

I completely agree with this - I too live within earshot of Newbury racecourse and the freebie/discounted tickets for local residents are definitely appreciated and would possibly be a good idea for the Swindon promotion to consider...

grachan - We must almost be neighbours! I'm just off Pinchington Lane near the car dealerships - anywhere near you?

I'm on the racecourse estate, off Westwood Road. I've never actually taken up one of the offers, but it does make you feel respected.

It's all very well people having a "stuff the local residents, if they don't like it then tough" attitude, but it's exactly that sort of attitude that could get tracks closed down.

• Like 2

I'm on the racecourse estate, off Westwood Road. I've never actually taken up one of the offers, but it does make you feel respected.

It's all very well people having a "stuff the local residents, if they don't like it then tough" attitude, but it's exactly that sort of attitude that could get tracks closed down.

Cheap to tickets to local residents could be seen in a number of lights.....

1) trying to get locals on side and in stadium

2) Bribing locals to stop them complaining

3) Looked at by the hard core supporters with disdain, as regular supporters don't get cheap tickets