British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

Initial thoughts on stadium plans, purely from the speedway angle – if the new stadium is built, and the speedway track is the size and shape, and banked as shown in the plans, it looks like it will be a good size and shape for racing.

The frontage/ glazed viewing area of the main stand is considerably smaller than the Abbey stand and looks to be only about the same as the current restaurant area. This will be split between the bar and restaurant, greatly reducing the sponsors view of racing from their seats, and for anyone else that prefers to watch from behind glass.

Assuming the the ref and timekeeper are to be located in the glass box at the end of the stand, it looks like they will be sat behind the start/finish line, and not too high up either.

Noise emissions seem to have been studied in some detail. If permission is given, maximum noise levels will be set by the Borough and have to be closely monitored. If the average noise limit is exceeded at more than 3 consecutive events, a written report will have to be submitted setting out how further noise control will be put in place before the next event.

Maximum crowd size is a concern, as is parking space numbers and the travel plan.

I'm still sceptical as to if this will go ahead, based on the previous track record of Gaming International and the simple fact that housing over the whole site will bring in a far quicker and no doubt far bigger return financially than the stadium ever will (even if they have to wait long enough to overturn the current planning condition about no more houses until a new stadium is built). At the end of the day the Govt. believes that the delivery of housing is top priority.

The outline planning application, approved in 2007, was for a new stadium and demolition of the Abbey. This latest application is for reserved matters to show all the fine details of the new stadium project, but does not include the demolition of the Abbey. I was under the impression that normal practice would be to submit this under reserved matters. As yet a separate demolition application has not been submitted either. May be they don't need to do so or don't actually want to demolish it yet?

However, seeing a detailed application being submitted has to be looked upon as positive, so one can only hope it is genuinely a step in the right direction and not part of a long game.

• Like 1

Am I right in assuming that, with the publication of these plans, we have gone further down the line than Reading and Milton Keynes did?

Edited by grachan

Thanks for the link. It's good to see some progress played out in the public domain.

Yep blank sheet of paper being held up ... They've forgot to add the hotel.

Edited by Starman2006

Am I right in assuming that, with the publication of these plans, we have gone further down the line than Reading and Milton Keynes did?

No. Stadia UK was granted planning permission for their racino by Reading council, so they were ahead of where we are, for a few months at least.

• Like 3

No

No. Stadia UK was granted planning permission for their racino by Reading council, so they were ahead of where we are, for a few months at least.

Are you sure? I don't recall full plans for Reading ever being submitted.

Something called 'outline planning permission' was apparently granted for Swindon Stadium in 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-21744357

Before now we'd just seen artists impressions rather than proper drawn up plans, which is all I recall ever seeing of the Racino.

So it does seem that we have gone a stage further.

Edited by grachan

re the 'Racino'

Full Planning Permission was originally granted by Reading Borough Council on 7 December 2005

[planning no 04/01313/FULL]

• Like 1

Excuse me if im wrong here, but has there been a public fan meeting re this new stadium, with the planners and Swindon promotion ?

Excuse me if im wrong here, but has there been a public fan meeting re this new stadium, with the planners and Swindon promotion ?

No, no meeting with the fans.

No, no meeting with the fans.

Then isn't it about time you Swindon fans started a crusade ? Because to me, mushrooms spring to mind..

Then isn't it about time you Swindon fans started a crusade ? Because to me, mushrooms spring to mind..

You could bring King Richard 1st back to lead this crusade & it would still be a waste of time with our council. They are so far up their own rear ends it is unbelievable, they couldn't run a p*ss up in a brewery. They've probably taken lessons from the BSPA! I wouldn't trust them with the discharge from my rear end.

Edited by DunRobin
  • Like 1

You could bring King Richard 1st back to lead this crusade & it would still be a waste of time with our council. They are so far up their own rear ends it is unbelievable, they couldn't run a p*ss up in a brewery. They've probably taken lessons from the BSPA! I wouldn't trust them with the discharge from my rear end.

No need to bring him back...there is already plenty of candidates for the name 'King Dick I'...answers on a postcard. :P;):wink:

• Like 1

Well then there's something clearly wrong.