British Speedway Forum
oleoleole

British Tv Rights For Sgp & Swc ?

According to the Speedway Star, BSI are in the final stages of negotiations for the British rights for the SGP & SWC as Eurosport's deal expires soon.

Does anybody know when there may be an announcement and who is in the frame?

I think Eurosport had a 3 year contract, which started 2013, so due to expire soon. Its that deal with Eurosport that has brought back my interest to speedway.

My concern is if it goes to BT or Sky (Sky Sport) then viewing the GPs will be lot more costly then viewing Eurosport.

Yes I know Eurosport is available generally through Sky but Sky is a lot cheaper then having Sky Sport, and with Sky (not Sky Sport) you get other programmes as well, so you not just paying for Sport.

BT have already robbed me of watching Moto GP, I don't want Speedway GP to go the same way.

• Like 2

Nor me Joe...I don't have Sky Sport or BT Sport and can't afford them .It's Eurosport or no speedway for me :cry:

• Like 2

The way its going at the moment I'm considering cancelling my Sky sports subscription and just keeping BT sport. If BSI do a deal with BT sport then its bye bye Sky Sports.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Joe,do you know the moto gp highlights are on itv4

Yes, thanks Bruno, and I tape it and watch when the wife not about. lol.

But its just the MotoGp race, and I have always followed the Moto2 and Moto3 (and their predecessors) for many years (I remember when Noah raced bikes lol), and I watched the practice/qualifiers too.

Actually now I am retired I don't have the time to watch all that lot, so probably better just with the main race. lol.

• Like 1

I would expect the GP's to stay with Eurosport.

I would expect the GP's to stay with Eurosport.

This is disgusting, still no statement from BSI or Eurosport. I am going to e mail SKY and cancel my subscription if I don't hear anything today. In fact I am going to get my MP involved in this farce.

• Like 3

Will Eurosport still have the European rights to show the SWC and GP and are these negotiations relating to the UK only? Will Eurosport still cover the European Championships? Is this a case of Sky saying that unless we get the GP we don't want regular league racing and with the number of potential Elite league teams falling below the alleged minimum of eight is this a last desperate attempt to keep speedway on Sky. I have nothing against sky but really couldn't care who shows itas long as it is regular weekly speedway even if it was a highlights magazine type programme with the odd live GP etc. But to pay for another subscription such as BT, forget it and be warned whoever is negotiating with BT, look what they did to the price of football subscriptions and many simply did not renew

• Like 1

What do you mean is it a last desperate attempt to keep speedway on sky? A deal is coming to the end if contract period hence up for negotiation again.

I will be appalled if BBC or itv don't purchase the rights, given the cost of TV licences. Disappointing neither have issued a statement yet to disclose their intentions. Who is the minister of broadcasting?

• Like 2

Will Eurosport still have the European rights to show the SWC and GP and are these negotiations relating to the UK only? Will Eurosport still cover the European Championships? Is this a case of Sky saying that unless we get the GP we don't want regular league racing and with the number of potential Elite league teams falling below the alleged minimum of eight is this a last desperate attempt to keep speedway on Sky. I have nothing against sky but really couldn't care who shows itas long as it is regular weekly speedway even if it was a highlights magazine type programme with the odd live GP etc. But to pay for another subscription such as BT, forget it and be warned whoever is negotiating with BT, look what they did to the price of football subscriptions and many simply did not renew

Eurosport do not have the European rights to show the GP`s and SWC - it is only the British rights they hold- and they run out after Melbourne. The rest of Europe is covered by separate contracts with for instance Canal + Poland, TV 10 Sweden and TV 3 sport in Denmark.

From the little I know it`s likely to be between British Eurosport and BT sport for the new contract.

The European championships (SEC) and the pairs(SBP) is a different contract between One Sport/FIM Europe and Pan-European Eurosport.

I also think that the Swedish league contract is also up for renewal and there were rumours coming out from Sweden that Eurosport (pan- European)would not be interested in continuing with the coverage.

Edited by racers and royals

From the little I know it`s likely to be between British Eurosport and BT sport for the new contract.

The European championships (SEC) and the pairs(SBP) is a different contract between One Sport/FIM Europe and Pan-European Eurosport.

I also think that the Swedish league contract is also up for renewal and there were rumours coming out from Sweden that Eurosport (pan- European)would not be interested in continuing with the coverage.

Eurosport's lack of interest in the Swedish League rights was self-evident during the season and I will be relieved if they withdraw.

Equally encouraging is the suggestion that BT Sport might be interested - their coverage of sport actually assumes that the viewer has a brain (okay, 'Fletch and Sav' is an exception) but in Darren Fletcher they have a man who knows speedway. I'd be fascinated to see such a high-quality broadcaster getting involved in our sport.

But to pay for another subscription such as BT, forget it and be warned whoever is negotiating with BT, look what they did to the price of football subscriptions and many simply did not renew

It was Sky who set sky-high prices for watching football just so that footballers and their agents could wallow in the resulting cash bonanza. The easy answer to having to pay two subs is to ditch Sky.

Through Virgin Media, getting BT has cost me £18 a month over my previous deal. That's far less than it would cost for me to take out a Sky sub. I do prefer quality to quantity and would be delighted if they got involved with our sport.

• Like 1

I cannot afford neither Sky Sport nor BT Sport, I am going to campaign my MP for pensioners to have free access - whoops, thats another thread. lol.