British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
born_2b_mad

What is the best ever racing VENUE

I'm currently trying to get my head around a new project, but need the help of fellow forum members.

What in your own opinion would you class as the best racing venue ever in Britain.

Please think about the surrounding facilities as well as track.

All venues considered from Stamford Bridge (anyone here remember them :roll: ) up to the present day Trelawny.

I'm biased but it has to be Belle Vue's Hyde Road. For me it was the home of British Speedway. Here's why:

* Purpose-built for speedway

* Never closed during the War

* Some of speedway's greatest names donned the ace of clubs - Parker, Craven, Mauger, Fundin, Collins

* Great, great race track

It had the heritage, the glamour and fantastic racing. I'd go as far to say that its demise was probably British speedway's biggest loss.

I can't imagine anywhere being able to beat Hyde Road, certainly not in my lifetime anyway.

What a place ! The added attraction being the fair for me when I was a kid. My Dad used to drive the coach up there everytime either Coventry or Leicester(I think) raced there, I always went with him and he used to let me drive it round the massive car park when I was about 8 !!!

But inside the stadium the sound was incredible, and it was amazing walking up the outside of the track-fence so close to the high-speed riders.

What I'd give to have all that again ??????!!!!!!!

Bradford was a great place to watch like in the 90 world final, maybe katowice might have been good in the 70s with 100K fans.

Hyde Road for permanent track,

but nothing can beat that magical night in 1981 at Wembley. 80,000 screaming fans.

and those wonderful friday nights at a packed Waterden Road, with probably the fairest racing strip in the country, will always stick in my mind

The old Belle Vue track was ccertainly the best, for older posters I'm sure

the memory of Peter Craven blasting round the boards will bring back

memories. Later of course there was Peter Collins and Chris Morton.

And the funfair :)

I must agree with the above postings and say Hyde Road had more going for it than anywhere - the tradition and atmoshere alone could never be equalled at a domestic venue.

Having said that, Wimbledon has been the scene of some excellent racing in it's time, also has a great tradition and it can rub shoulders with anyone where facilities are concerned.

Have to agree with Hyde Road, fantastic atmosphere super track and the fun fair made the whole experience unforgetable, can anyone remember "shoot the rapids" the most incredible fairground ride EVER ? Other great TRACKS, the shay, Blackbird Road, Exeter and Kings Lynn.

Hyde Road would probably be my answer too, but as it's getting too predictable now I'll go with Exeter for excitement. Never forget looking straight into Ivan Mauger's eyes as he came flying past me down the home straight me once.

Hyde Road does take some beating.

For track only, Cradley Heath was pretty good.

Perry Barr at Birmingham was good, decent venue too.

Modern day, Trelawny, Somerset, Glasgow for racing

Millennium Stadium and Wimbledon for stadium.

I can only agree with almost everybody else. Hyde Road was the most magical place on earth for a speedway fan.

The meetings which stick in my mind the most are the run of British League Riders Championships from '65 to '70 which were all won by Barry Briggs. Anyone on the forum old enough to remember these meetings?

The atmosphere, quality of racing, and sheer spectacle have been imprinted on my mind for 30 odd years now. I've seen a few world finals but BLRC night was uniquely special and thrilling.

I can nearly break down in tears when I think of the loss of this legendary venue. Someone pass me a hankie...

I think its pretty unanimous that Hyde Road was no1. But there are a few others that will always be a bit special to me:

The Shay - it was a bit scruffy, but had a great atmosphere

Owlerton - 2nd only to Hyde Raod in terms of the track and the smells of the bakery on the way to the stadium - mmm, mmm

Brandon and Plough Lane - Very tidy venues that really give you a sense of occasion when you go there

County Ground - not to everyone's taste, but with the speed of the place, close racing there is absolutely breathtaking