British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

Friday is not taken -

As a club within 30 miles of the Monarchs it is as they are within their rights, find another day.

• Like 1

Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train........

Hey, it was a message not a letter :lol:

So maybe it should be:

Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge

I'm trying not to lose my head...

You ever seen Rangers and Celtic play at home on the same day?

I'm sure you're jesting here!

Not many neutrals who think ... "Shall I put my blue or green scarf on today?" ;)

Edited by george.m
  • Like 2

Ha ha door handle head, tongue in cheek remark I think from AR , I think he's put the fishing rod back in the cupboard now. Already looking forward to your Somerset gripes for next season, lol

Yes, your right CB, it's particularly easy fishing with the J man !!! He refers to me as door handle head !!! I believe it would be easy recognising him in a crowd, he'd be the one with a large Richard sticking out of his forehead. You're right, my remark was TIC but it is to tempting on here to miss the chance of a wind-up !!! Speak next season boys and girls !!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Aroundtheboards

I'm sure you're jesting here!

Not many neutrals who think ... "Shall I put my blue or green scarf on today?" ;)

So you're the one with the half and half scarf then George.

• Like 1

As a club within 30 miles of the Monarchs it is as they are within their rights, find another day.

In their rights to have their objection noted, but not to have it adopted. It will be up for debate / vote I'd assume (although maybe wrongly).

• Like 2

damosuzuki, on 19 Oct 2015 - 4:27 PM, said:

Also Edinburgh is 46 miles from glasgow. It's surely absurd that we are adversely affected because they have moved their track to a location far nearer Glasgow. As I remember we've already been good enough to let them race on a Friday as they are renting these premises. Good luck to Edinburgh, but I hope the BSPA see sense and let us race on a Friday.

Whilst I say again my main problem with the letter is the aggressive attitude and the push to boycott edinburgh, I think that is unnacceptable full stop and eide67 has hit the nail on the head.

This is another part of the issue from an Edinburgh perspective, we atre not in edinburgh and have a much smaller catchment area than Glasgow. Despite being named Edinburgh it is very difficult to attract people from Edinburgh because of our location so our potential to increase supporters is more limited. Therefore (I am sure with regret) Monarchs are trying to protect what they do have as much as possible by objecting to this move as a small reduction will have a bigger impact on them at the moment. Not so long ago Tigers were really struggling with attendances and its great to see them turn it around, they are now at the stage of trying to keep that and build on it but don't step on your neighbours to do it.

There is no need for Edinburgh and Glasgow to compete against each other when they can complement each other, e.g. Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday/Sunday with Berwick, there are already far too many other things for speedway to compete against these days. Glasgow own their own stadium and can race any night they like so why pick the same night as your nearest rival. Glasgow will also lose their priority and end up with a number of off race night meetings. They are not just competing for fans, but potentially guest riders, rerun dates, pit staff, mechanics, volunteers, medical staff, etc I know most of these are separate but it wouldn't be the first time someone has done the same role at both tracks, e.g. Michael Max filled in earlier in the season when Scott Wilson and John McGillvaray were missing and Rob McNeill spannered for both Sam and Dmitri earlier in the season.

There is no apparently about it there is a Rule, Edinburgh didn't introduce it and it is not a new rule. I don't know what the process is but I guess it will ultimately come down to a vote from the other clubs in the division, Scunny moving to Sunday does work in the Tigers favour so it could go either way. Not sure if other teams will appreciate travelling to Scotland twice on a Friday and fans will not be happy losing the northern tour but you just never know.

Edinburgh are already working hard off the track to try to improve the attendance and will continue to do so no matter the outcome of this, their promotion have 30 years experience and have had many challenges along the road but they continue to work really hard to make it work. It has been an amazing season and I am very happy to see them announced for next season today.

At the end of the day, no one could compete with us on the track this season and that is all that should matter today. Come on the Monarchs!

Edited by scotchopper
  • Like 6

Also Edinburgh is 46 miles from glasgow.

Serious point.

If there is a 30 mile rule, then how and when was 30 miles decided.

It's like speed limits based on braking distance ... if anyone saw it on Top Gear you'll know what I mean.

If this is an "old" rule then transport has improved much since.

Now the less serious point. How many of Embras fans actually come from Armadale?

Surely most are "old school" and come from places further East. i.e. more than 30 miles away.

Its probably pre-war george/m as I have seen it mentioned with all the London clubs just after WW2.

• Like 1

So you're the one with the half and half scarf then George.

Half red, half blue! ;)

• Like 1

damosuzuki, on 19 Oct 2015 - 4:27 PM, said:

Also Edinburgh is 46 miles from glasgow. It's surely absurd that we are adversely affected because they have moved their track to a location far nearer Glasgow. As I remember we've already been good enough to let them race on a Friday as they are renting these premises. Good luck to Edinburgh, but I hope the BSPA see sense and let us race on a Friday.

Whilst I say again my main problem with the letter is the aggressive attitude and the push to boycott edinburgh, I think that is unnacceptable full stop and eide67 has hit the nail on the head.

This is another part of the issue from an Edinburgh perspective, we atre not in edinburgh and have a much smaller catchment area than Glasgow. Despite being named Edinburgh it is very difficult to attract people from Edinburgh because of our location so our potential to increase supporters is more limited. Therefore (I am sure with regret) Monarchs are trying to protect what they do have as much as possible by objecting to this move as a small reduction will have a bigger impact on them at the moment. Not so long ago Tigers were really struggling with attendances and its great to see them turn it around, they are now at the stage of trying to keep that and build on it but don't step on your neighbours to do it.

There is no need for Edinburgh and Glasgow to compete against each other when they can complement each other, e.g. Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday/Sunday with Berwick, there are already far too many other things for speedway to compete against these days. Glasgow own their own stadium and can race any night they like so why pick the same night as your nearest rival. Glasgow will also lose their priority and end up with a number of off race night meetings. They are not just competing for fans, but potentially guest riders, rerun dates, pit staff, mechanics, volunteers, medical staff, etc I know most of these are separate but it wouldn't be the first time someone has done the same role at both tracks, e.g. Michael Max filled in earlier in the season when Scott Wilson and John McGillvaray were missing and Rob McNeill spannered for both Sam and Dmitri earlier in the season.

There is no apparently about it there is a Rule, Edinburgh didn't introduce it and it is not a new rule. I don't know what the process is but I guess it will ultimately come down to a vote from the other clubs in the division, Scunny moving to Sunday does work in the Tigers favour so it could go either way. Not sure if other teams will appreciate travelling to Scotland twice on a Friday and fans will not be happy losing the northern tour but you just never know.

Edinburgh are already working hard off the track to try to improve the attendance and will continue to do so no matter the outcome of this, their promotion have 30 years experience and have had many challenges along the road but they continue to work really hard to make it work. It has been an amazing season and I am very happy to see them announced for next season today.

At the end of the day, no one could compete with us on the track this season and that is all that should matter today. Come on the Monarchs!

If I'm being honest, I wasn't overjoyed at the letter being handed out on Friday as it was a great night and it soured it a little even for me as a Tigers fan. But I believe we will race on a Friday at some point in the future. I appreciate what you are saying, and I would be gutted if either club went under (again!!!). I spent many nights as a kid on the Powderhall terracing. Let's see what happens. I will bow out of the argument as it's going nowhere and in no sense am I anti-edinburgh speedway.

• Like 3

If I'm being honest, I wasn't overjoyed at the letter being handed out on Friday as it was a great night and it soured it a little even for me as a Tigers fan. But I believe we will race on a Friday at some point in the future. I appreciate what you are saying, and I would be gutted if either club went under (again!!!). I spent many nights as a kid on the Powderhall terracing. Let's see what happens. I will bow out of the argument as it's going nowhere and in no sense am I anti-edinburgh speedway.

I agree with every point you make there.

What I'd add is there's a lot of emotive talk around this, probably fuelled on one side by the nature of some comments in the letter - fair dues to those Edinburgh fans for feeling that way, don't blame them.

Looking at it rationally thought:

1. Really how many fans would it take away from Edinburgh?

2. A key point for me is - there seems to be an underlying assumption that it would attract fans away from Edinburgh? Why? Surely Edinburgh has an attractive product in terms of racing? No? OK Glasgow now has a better off-track product, but why the assumption that it will hit Edinburgh? Especially from Edinburgh fans/promotion.

3. Would it really take any fans away at all? If so, how many neutrals are out there? Certainly don't see many posting on here - albeit that's not a true indicator.

4. How many neutrals currently visit both tracks on a weekend anyway? Cost and time probably means people chose one or the other at weekends. So what would be different if both run on a Friday?

5. The Northern tour argument - how many teams don't do northern tours in the league now? Have a look at the fixtures this year, did very team that went to Edinburgh on a Friday, do Glasgow on the Sunday ... No they didn't.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

Serious point.

If there is a 30 mile rule, then how and when was 30 miles decided.

It's like speed limits based on braking distance ... if anyone saw it on Top Gear you'll know what I mean.

If this is an "old" rule then transport has improved much since.

Now the less serious point. How many of Embras fans actually come from Armadale?

Surely most are "old school" and come from places further East. i.e. more than 30 miles away.

I have watched Speedway for over 50 years and It existed when I started.

It is meant to be a protection measure for existing clubs but as far as I am concerned it is out dated and needs removing.

Edited by KIRKYLANE
  • Like 1

Actually we are talking about Armadale Speedway which is the official title and the name which is used on all official paperwork. It just so happens that Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway Team hold competitive meetings there.

You ever seen Rangers and Celtic play at home on the same day?

They play in the same city that's the difference, I don't even think one would play away at Partick Thistle if the other was at home.

Scotchopper, how old does a rule have to be to be an old or new rule? The "old" rule was 50 miles, that's why Edinburgh had to get an agreement by Glasgow to run on Fridays as it was within 50 miles.