British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hackneyrocket

Raiders 2016

Kenny Bowdery joins the raiders,a grasstracker with very little speedway experience ,,does any one know more about him ??

Very talented on the grass when in the youth ranks but not seen much of him for a few years. I seem to remember there was money in the camp though so his equipment should be ok but very light on experience.

Wow! I don't say this very often but I actually agree with you Simon. I have watched from the outside for the last couple of years now and it does amaze me how promoters are now getting a hard on for anyone from Moto X or Grasstrack who have never even turned a wheel on the shale before. A few years ago promoters were cumming in their pants for anyone from Australia who conveniently had British parents. It does make me chuckle. That aside there does seem to be more riders moving up from the MDL now which is only right but the MDL lads should be getting first pick before places are given to complete novices. I've never raced a speedway bike before but was quite handy on my toy peddle tractor when I was a kid. Anyone fancy giving me a team place? :)

And it happens again. I tire of promoters taking no responsibility for the riders they track and the riders they face. Im not saying any of Ryes signings are deliberately dangerous but a lack of experience increases the risk. With the continued obsession of chucking 16/17 year olds into the NL as soon as they get a bike are they helping their development or increasing the risk of them struggling, becoming disillusioned with the sport and walking away or worse getting injured.

Its not that many years ago that riders would be sent away to get some experience and prove their determination whereas now they are welcomed with open arms.

And it happens again. I tire of promoters taking no responsibility for the riders they track and the riders they face. Im not saying any of Ryes signings are deliberately dangerous but a lack of experience increases the risk. With the continued obsession of chucking 16/17 year olds into the NL as soon as they get a bike are they helping their development or increasing the risk of them struggling, becoming disillusioned with the sport and walking away or worse getting injured.

Its not that many years ago that riders would be sent away to get some experience and prove their determination whereas now they are welcomed with open arms.

Speedway is a dangerous sport, regardless of whether you're a rank amateur, NL rider or GP star there is always the chance of injury so I can't agree that 15/16 year olds with little experience of racing in the league increases the danger.

These youngsters are being given NL spots over the riders who have been pottering around in the second half leagues for a few seasons because they are either better already or have greater potential. The standard of kids being churned out in Poland is what we should aspire to as a nation, that won't happen unfortunately if we wrap our prospects up in cotton wool.

Have a read of John Louis' book. John himself 'just got on a speedway bike' direct from grasstrack as did many other successful Witches riders of the 70's.

Edited by JamesB

Have a read of John Louis' book. John himself 'just got on a speedway bike' direct from grasstrack as did many other successful Witches riders of the 70's.

True however unless my maths is wrong born 1941 & made his debut in 1970 aged 29. Not sure how much grasstrack he did but in modern times he would be considered ancient for a debutant yet look what he achieved.

True however unless my maths is wrong born 1941 & made his debut in 1970 aged 29. Not sure how much grasstrack he did but in modern times he would be considered ancient for a debutant yet look what he achieved.

You are correct. John was a latecomer to speedway having ridden grasstrack from a young age, however many of those who subsequently followed the same route at Ipswich were much younger.

John says in his book that he found it easier than most other riders to ride rough tracks because of his background.

I guess if you have natural ability on a bike then you have a chance of switching disciplines successfully.

• Like 1

John Louis was pretty good scrambles rider (motor x in today's world)

I saw him and he was streets ahead of the majority of then division 2 riders so he was an exception.

A year later you had a similar rider from that background Tony Davey go straight to the top very quickly.

It's as much about the ability of the rider and their attitude towards a different challenge and good equipment helps too!

Danyon Hume is the latest to jump ship, replaced by Sam Woods, hopefully with a bike fitted with stabilisers

Danyon Hume is the latest to jump ship, replaced by Sam Woods, hopefully with a bike fitted with stabilisers

Brum bound?
  • Like 1

As far as riders are concerned there seems to be a lot of mismanagement going on since Scott's arrived.

Edited by Islander15

A little worrying that our new joint team manager doesn't know what league his riders are racing in. Hume in PL according to comments on Rye Fans fb site.

It's a pity neither Danyon or Alfie will be Raiders this year. I was looking forward to seeing how they developed.

Edited by JmeRay
  • Like 3

As far as riders are concerned there seems to be a lot of mismanagement going on since Scott's arrived.

All the good work put in by Andrew last season seems to be going down the toilet!

• Like 1