British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2016

So if Australians are now a 5 again, is that going to be the same for Americans?

if so it will only be new ones and not those who are already above 5 but under 7 and without the appropriate state/national place!

Makes perfect sense and is totally logical...

Reasonably happy - you have to work within your budget, and let's face it we have terrific speedway each week win, lose or draw.

Lots of riders with potential and they will need time to settle, much will depend on quickly BWD and Jake Allen adapt to the league.

• Like 1

Well ! That was worth the wait, wasn't it ?

Lets wait and see what happens on track shall we. At home that team is going to take some stopping. Away from home i feel is the worrying part.

BWD and Wajtknecht will provide a decent reserve pairing and we know what to expect from Starkey and Wright. Young Allen may be a shrewd signing or may not but time will tell. The top two worries me though. Grajczonek is hot and cold and i have never been a fan of Tungate. As i said lets wait and see.

Dont see why Rebels fans are a bit wary , by miles they look to have signed the best NL 3 pointer and Wilson Dean looks to have bags of potential . This looks a pretty exciting looking side

• Like 3

Dont see why Rebels fans are a bit wary , by miles they look to have signed the best NL 3 pointer and Wilson Dean looks to have bags of potential . This looks a pretty exciting looking side

I'd agree with you Paulco, it could be really good and we all know that Somerset aren't afraid to wield the axe if someone isn't good enough - so im sure we will be there come the end of the season in some shape or form.

I guess it's the lack of heat winners especially away from home that worries people at the moment. I don't know much about Jake Allen either so not sure what he's about either, but have only heard good reports.

Lets wait and see what happens on track shall we. At home that team is going to take some stopping. Away from home i feel is the worrying part.

BWD and Wajtknecht will provide a decent reserve pairing and we know what to expect from Starkey and Wright. Young Allen may be a shrewd signing or may not but time will tell. The top two worries me though. Grajczonek is hot and cold and i have never been a fan of Tungate. As i said lets wait and see.

the reserves need to be good at home as when they go to likes of Scunthorpe,Rye House,Berwick,Sheffield, Peterborough, who all have a experienced lead reserve they will get slaughted as neither of them have seen most of the PL tracks and there is a big difference with riding on slick NL tracks to PL tracks, but good luck to the pair of them they were both very good in the NL last year.

Having been a regular visitor over the years following my team I've noticed crowds at the OTA look have been down recently. Every team has to work to a budget and Somerset are no different.

They are taking a risk with these untried three, whereas some sides (mine included) have gone with the same old faces. Whether it works or not, who knows?

• Like 1

It looks a slightly weaker Somerset side than usual, but most PL sides do look weaker due to the loss of several high average riders this winter.

I don’t know much about either Wilson-Dean or Allen but the fact that Somerset have signed them makes me think they will both have something based on the promotions track record.

Starke looks like a rider ready to become a third heat leader and Tungate is talented enough to be a very solid second heat leader home and away.

As has been said by others, it looks like a side that will be ready to peak for the Play-Offs.

Edited by sparkafag

Not convinced by this team, but will be happy to be proved wrong! As the promotion have said, it's all about team balance. Gamble on either BWD or Jake Allen on a 5.00 average by all means, but including both is a huge punt in my book. Personally I'd much rather have Aspegren and one of BWD or Allen for a better balance. But I'm sure we'll be there when the silverware is handed out, as usual.

By the way, does anyone know how many meetings Josh is likely to miss with his EL commitments - I'm not clued-up on who's riding when in the EL this year.

Looks an entertaining side and some riders with hopefully the potential to do well. Some have said on here, weakest side for some time, however that's not managements fault, it's the fault of the BSPA who weaken all teams, especially successful sides every year with the stupid low points limit. Look back 2 years to 2013, Somerset had Jason Doyle, Nick Morris, Kyle Newman, Alex Davies, and Charles Wright at reserve, Josh was only third heat leader on 8-41 average. Now he is number 1, he has never been up to what was considered a number one a few years ago and certainly not an out and out number one last season. In a few years time Charles will be number one and the rest of the team National League riders.

Looks poor compared to what the Rebels have put out in recent times. I'd be unhappy with the signing of Tungate. I can't see any improvement from Wright or Starke either, especially now there will be more expected from them. Allen is an unknown quantity granted. BWD has potential but wasn't exactly head and shoulders ahead of Morley, Branford, Greenwood in the NL last year yet he's coming in on a five.