British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2016

Somerset for the title this year.

What an outfit theyve turned into since the hancocks have fully taken over the complete promotion after the shambles of russell and pavitt etc.

• Like 4

What an outfit theyve turned into since the hancocks have fully taken over the complete promotion after the shambles of russell and pavitt etc.

I did a spreadsheet a while ago ranking teams that have been in the PL since the Rebels joined, totalling their positions and ranking them least total to highest total. Needless to say Edinburgh were at the top with the Rebels next. That included some poor opening seasons, so I think you are spot on. I have to say I didn't expect the team to be as successful this season but quite pleased we are to say the least.

I did a spreadsheet a while ago ranking teams that have been in the PL since the Rebels joined, totalling their positions and ranking them least total to highest total. Needless to say Edinburgh were at the top with the Rebels next. That included some poor opening seasons, so I think you are spot on. I have to say I didn't expect the team to be as successful this season but quite pleased we are to say the least.

Would be very interesting to see the rest of this

Will see if I can find it or if I'm really sad, reproduce it. The list is a bit short as there are not that many teams still running consistently in the PL.

• Like 1

I'm reliably informed that last night was Somersets biggest ever away win since formation.

Posted here.

I'm wondering if we hadn't been so unlucky in the 2012 and 14 playoff finals wether we may have been top.

It’s a long season and injuries can play its part, the Rebels certainly look a formidable team and you get the feeling they haven’t fully clicked yet! For example there is more to come from Zac, Starkey and Wrighty tend to have a duff ride per meeting and Jake and Bradley are improving week by week.

Nothing is won yet but the signs are very good.

• Like 1

I did a spreadsheet a while ago ranking teams that have been in the PL since the Rebels joined, totalling their positions and ranking them least total to highest total. Needless to say Edinburgh were at the top with the Rebels next.

Found the spreadsheet and found that the Rebels were more successful. I think that I didn't post it at the time which was going to be in reply to someones post but thought it might have been gloating too much.

Will see if I can find it or if I'm really sad, reproduce it. The list is a bit short as there are not that many teams still running consistently in the PL.

Will post the results at the earliest opportunity. Updated it to include all clubs, the 2015 season and also work out the average position which gave a very interesting result considering the reactions of supporters of a certain club this year. It goes back to 2005.

I'm wondering if we hadn't been so unlucky in the 2012 and 14 playoff finals wether we may have been top.

As I found out, we were top after all.

Watch this space.

Why 2005 if the Rebels were in the PL from 2002?

Why 2005 if the Rebels were in the PL from 2002?

Only because the BSPA website History Archive starts then. Just wanted to get an idea. 10 years isn't too bad a period without making it mammoth task.

Fair enough.

But I thought the BSPA archive went back to the stone age.

Mind you the sport still seems to be in the stone ages!

Maybe the archive didn't go that far back when you started.

The bspa archives do go way back just had a quick look. The rebels finished 16th out of 17 teams in 2002,17th of 18 teams in 2003,13th out of 15 teams in 2004. Good years not to include if your a somerset fan,mind you i think this season could be their best ever.

Average position for the last 11 seasons:

Avg. Posn. Seasons Team

2.8 6 King's Lynn

4.4 5 Ipswich

5.0 11 Somerset

5.1 11 Edinburgh

5.3 4 Birmingham

5.5 2 Peterborough

6.0 11 Workington

6.5 11 Sheffield

7.2 11 Rye House

7.2 11 Newcastle

7.5 4 I.o.W

7.8 8 Scunthorpe

8.8 11 Berwick

8.9 10 Redcar

9.0 1 Exeter

9.0 3 Leicester

9.1 11 Glasgow

9.5 2 Reading

10.4 5 Plymouth

11.8 6 Stoke

12.7 7 Newport

13.0 1 Hull

13.7 3 Mildenhall

The bspa archives do go way back just had a quick look. The rebels finished 16th out of 17 teams in 2002,17th of 18 teams in 2003,13th out of 15 teams in 2004. Good years not to include if your a somerset fan,mind you i think this season could be their best ever.

Yes you are correct on all counts. If you have a look you will find that 2005 was the earliest in the paragragh "ARCHIVE OF LINKS FROM THE FOLLOWING BRITISH SPEEDWAY SEASONS:" which I can Web Query in Excel. The other years would require entering manually.

Edited by Willowman
  • Like 1

I was going to say Kings Lynn must be up near the top .. they were fairly dominant in the PL seasons