British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistlegang

Kent 2016

Luke Clifton was riding in the old Conference league with Anglian angels, Kings Lynn & Boston.

Stats. for 1997-2000 50 matches 229 rides 342 points 46 bonus points with average of 6.78.

2001 for Boston averaged 9.97,

2003 average 6.82

Remember him well.

Interesting signing for the Kings, no doubt Clifton would have had some time in the PL by now if he'd carried on so it depends how 12 years out will have impacted him. Should be able to pick up points just by staying on the bike in a reserve berth and that bit of experience he has could see him end up in a second string role.

as of the start of last season, stopping on the bike at reserve was worth 3 points a meeting!

Can't say the name rings any bells either, but good luck, probably what Kent need after last season

Got to be said though, that should National League sides be allowed to bring in riders in their 30s as reserves at the expense of young riders

Though Kent aren't breaking any rules by doing it, wish him all the best

That's a very valid point and Stoke did it with both reserves last year!

Kent look like a good team so far. If Clifton can produce the scores that he did 12+ years ago then they'll have one of the better reserve pairings and a top 2 with improvement in them. Idk where this myth is from that Shanes doesn't beat top riders, because he did last year and from the back! Imo him and Ayres should be looking at retaining the Pairs title this year.

Not sure how I feel about the Clifton signing? I have no issue with age in any way and there's no doubting that before he was forced into retirement he had huge potential (from what I have read). However by the time the season starts it will be 13 years since he has competitively ridden and the sport has moved on a long way in that time.

Whilst experienced riders can be a huge help to any team I cant help thinking that Luke is going to need plenty of assistance himself to get up to speed?

That said he cant do any worse than the 3 pointers from last year!

• Like 1

well i can't wait to see him in action, from what i've read he deserves this second chance. Now let's go and get B Johnson and J Kingston.

Luke Clifton after 'looking him up' I'm hearing a David Mason type of guy. Will be decent at reserve and if you're lucky he will get 7 or 8 in the main team. But 10 years out makes you think why did he stop? Will he ever get back to how he was before

well i can't wait to see him in action, from what i've read he deserves this second chance. Now let's go and get B Johnson and J Kingston.

Brendan? I only saw him twice last year and was soo glad we dropped him. Disappointing was an understatement. You can do better than him especially on away form. David Mason is only 6 points ish now and he would be better

B Johnson. No thanks never really rated him personally.

J Kingston. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back at Kent butthink it will be a make or break season for him.

Magic Mason. I would welcome back to Kent in a heartbeat on his reduced average. Definitely capable of upping that round Central Park, top notch equipment and would be brilliant around the pits.

Saw Clifton practising a few weeks ago and he looked stylish and fast. Would have liked to have seen him in Young Stars team.

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about the Clifton signing? I have no issue with age in any way and there's no doubting that before he was forced into retirement he had huge potential (from what I have read). However by the time the season starts it will be 13 years since he has competitively ridden and the sport has moved on a long way in that time.

Whilst experienced riders can be a huge help to any team I cant help thinking that Luke is going to need plenty of assistance himself to get up to speed?

That said he cant do any worse than the 3 pointers from last year!

Your last point is probably the reason he's been signed! If a team is looking to the long-term then you'd prefer a young rider, which especially with Kent looking to move up the league you would have originally expected. But their team is looking good for next year so far.

Maybe Kingston and Mason could work as a pairing at 3 & 4? Mason can go out and win the home heats and use his experience as a team player to calm down Jack and bring out the potential in Kingston that he clearly has.

• Like 1

I reckon it'll line up now:

1. Bowen 8.52

2. Terry Daley 4.72

3. Shanes 7.85

4. Kingston 5.86

5. Ayres 7.05

6. Clifton 3.00

7. Thomas 3.00

8. Cousins

• Like 1

Luke Clifton after 'looking him up' I'm hearing a David Mason type of guy. Will be decent at reserve and if you're lucky he will get 7 or 8 in the main team. But 10 years out makes you think why did he stop? Will he ever get back to how he was before

Brendan? I only saw him twice last year and was soo glad we dropped him. Disappointing was an understatement. You can do better than him especially on away form. David Mason is only 6 points ish now and he would be better

Not sure how he's like Mason except that he's over thirty. Realistically it'll be good if he can average between 3.5-4 with anything else a bonus.

Johnson wouldn't be a very good signing, neither would Mason on an average nearer seven than six.

Mark Baseby looks like a decent option on his average. While on the subject of riders making comebacks, I wonder whether Harland Cook would have another go on the shale?

Not sure how he's like Mason except that he's over thirty. Realistically it'll be good if he can average between 3.5-4 with anything else a bonus.

Johnson wouldn't be a very good signing, neither would Mason on an average nearer seven than six.

Mark Baseby looks like a decent option on his average. While on the subject of riders making comebacks, I wonder whether Harland Cook would have another go on the shale?

Is it Kent the comeback club this year then?

That's a very valid point and Stoke did it with both reserves last year!

Kent look like a good team so far. If Clifton can produce the scores that he did 12+ years ago then they'll have one of the better reserve pairings and a top 2 with improvement in them. Idk where this myth is from that Shanes doesn't beat top riders, because he did last year and from the back! Imo him and Ayres should be looking at retaining the Pairs title this year.

The point I made earlier about James not beating Top riders, has to be taken in the context that I said it, when you are against another heat leader yes he can come from the back, but when up against 3 other Heat leaders its so much more difficult, as by the time you get past one rider, very often the other two are away and gone,.

• Like 1

I agree with greyhound p just look at his record in heats 13 and 15 ,that's no myth..

James knew his starting let him down as did his parents, however he is at the training school and one hopes that he will gain some knowledge reference gating. He has aspiration and knowing he has this particular weakness one hopes he will have determination in addressing it. If he masters gating and we add the fact that he gives it 110% means that with his overtaking ability he will hopefully become a formidable rider.