British Speedway Forum

We need riders who are good away from home. Not sure if EK can score enough points away from Purfleet. Dont want Watty or PK back too old now we should go for younger riders who will improve.

Just glad we will have a team to support next season and hopefully the side Jon and Stuart choose will be better than last season. Lost some of my enthusiasm for the sport at times with only 1 home meeting every 3 weeks.

We need riders who are good away from home. Not sure if EK can score enough points away from Purfleet. Dont want Watty or PK back too old now we should go for younger riders who will improve.

Thats odd, Vatcher claimed on Sky last season you signed Kennett for his away form.

Mind you I did laugh and question if he really did want to lose every away meeting!

Thats odd, Vatcher claimed on Sky last season you signed Kennett for his away form.

Mind you I did laugh and question if he really did want to lose every away meeting!

You would have laughed even more if you read his programme notes, unless you were a Lakeside fan in which case you would probably have cried.

You would have laughed even more if you read his programme notes, unless you were a Lakeside fan in which case you would probably have cried.

Odd guy Neil. Clearly a well liked individual but does seem a bit, "wet". Almost a bit naive and as if he'd struggle to motivate. Maybe his level is U21 level where he needs to be a nice guy and put his arm around the lads rather than at EL level where you sometimes need to be a little more assertive and even nasty.

Strikes me as a really nice guy but is that what you want in a manager?

Odd guy Neil. Clearly a well liked individual but does seem a bit, "wet". Almost a bit naive and as if he'd struggle to motivate. Maybe his level is U21 level where he needs to be a nice guy and put his arm around the lads rather than at EL level where you sometimes need to be a little more assertive and even nasty.

Strikes me as a really nice guy but is that what you want in a manager?

No, think you have summed him up pretty well. Doesn't look like he's going anywhere though.

Hammers must improve away & find riders that could improve their average.

Bech is a must keep on only a 6.16 average. Only just turned 21 and was our second best away rider. He can improve his average, especially if he is the third heat leader not the second as he was this year. He is also not in the U21's next year too.

Nilsson can be excellent at home, but away not so good. Can he improve a 6.98 average? Probably not. Also, missing our meetings for Swedish 2nd division fixtures is frustrating.

Kennett can improve, but will he? 5.86 average and he struggled at lots of familiar away tracks last season. Will he miss lots of meetings due to PL clashes?

Lawson (5.65) can up his average a bit, but PL clashes could be a problem.

Watt has to be very likely to return. In his late 30's now though, he is unlikely to improve. AJ in his late 30's too, shows we need some youth.

Bech is a must keep on only a 6.16 average. Only just turned 21 and was our second best away rider. He can improve his average, especially if he is the third heat leader not the second as he was this year. He is also not in the U21's next year too.

I'd be happy if either of them signed for Coventry, in fact if both signed I'd not be upset.

I'd be happy if either of them signed for Coventry, in fact if both signed I'd not be upset.

Let's hope you're an unhappy Bee next year then ;)

Both Bech and Lawson could and should be increasing their averages and piling up the points for the Hammers in 2016.........given the motivation and encouragement that wasn't forthcoming from the current incumbent of the position of Lakeside Team Manager.

I hoping that Lakeside will take a risk and roll the dice and going in with 2 strong heatleader AJ's already signed and the other would be kasprzak. He is not in the gp next and I think that those 2 plus 2 from bech, Lawson or kennett and one other.

so maybe

Kasprzak

Aj

Bech

Lawson

Swiderski or up a coming English riding

but knowing Lakeside will have aj, watt, barker, Lawson and kennett.

Edited by weeman1

To have too many riders 'commuting' from the continent would be financially draining. Personally, I don't expect more than a maximum of three!

I suppose it raises the question of who is a good team manager.

Jon Cook is very good at winding the riders up and getting then into a good frame of mind and Lakesides best overall team performances came in the years when he was TM.

I used to rate Peter Adams quite highly. but Wolves fans tell me he has lost the plot a bit these days.these days, but I don't see enough of him to comment on that.

A number of present TM's are nowhere near as good as some people claim Peter Kildemand was critical of Rosco during the play offs and I have always viewed Rosco as a bit of a plonker when you see him at work. Havelock and Muddlo are like little gnats buzzing round moaning at everything and on the phone to the ref at the most trivial excuse.. Rob Lyon is OK on a good days but a bit of a whinger a lot of the time and seems frightened to take Lambert in hand.

The best TM by far IMO is Phil Morris. I liked him at Brum but was most impressed when he stood in for Vatch for a meeting at Lakeside. Totally on the ball in every department I thought. The other one who has impressed me is Mark Lemon. A really nice bloke who gets one with everyone and knows his stuff.

Hammers must improve away & find riders that could improve their average.

Nilsson can be excellent at home, but away not so good. Can he improve a 6.98 average? Probably not. Also, missing our meetings for Swedish 2nd division fixtures is frustrating.

Kennett can improve, but will he? 5.86 average and he struggled at lots of familiar away tracks last season. Will he miss lots of meetings due to PL clashes?

Watt has to be very likely to return. In his late 30's now though, he is unlikely to improve. AJ in his late 30's too, shows we need some youth.

Nilsson needs to be back. He only missed about two meetings through other commitments. Despite missing several meetings through injury he still did as much as Lawson , Kennett and Bech. Kim's trump card is that he rides the inside line at Lakeside better than any rider since JD at his best which means that there is plenty of room round the outside for his team mate and he is very difficult to a pass. He will be available more than any British D/U rider whose PL club has priority.

I don't necessarily agree with this idea about building teams for away performances. If a team can win all its home matches that's 42 point in the bag and within touching distance of the play-offs. You then only need to nick a few points away and you are there.. No point in getting points away and losing them at home. Focus on getting the home points in the bag and there will always be a few to collect away. Of course it does all depends on a reasonably injury free season, something that the Hammers have not experienced for a long time.

I don't necessarily agree with this idea about building teams for away performances. If a team can win all its home matches that's 42 point in the bag and within touching distance of the play-offs. You then only need to nick a few points away and you are there.. No point in getting points away and losing them at home. Focus on getting the home points in the bag and there will always be a few to collect away. Of course it does all depends on a reasonably injury free season, something that the Hammers have not experienced for a long time.

Agree with that. Win all home meetings, keep the home fans happy. Winning all your home meetings should mean if you can nick a few away wins or even a handful of away loser bonus points you're in with a shout. It would certainly be my tactic if I was a promoter.

I think we did that this season but the injury to AJ with poor guests and the mess we was left in at reserve ruined us.