British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy robin

Why Is There So Much Secrecy About The Reserve Picks?.

The crux of all the arguments about the selection process is the false position of the riders. Had Newman been positioned in his rightful place, then Poole would not have had the opportunity to select Ellis even with his fictitious score.

Since the introduction of Draft riders, the quality of such has a massive bearing on the outcome of all matches and the final league positions. For anyteam to stand any chance of success, they need top riders in the draft positions. That's why it is so unfair, that Poole are given this preferential treatment.

Well that's KL screwed then :wink:

The crux of all the arguments about the selection process is the false position of the riders. Had Newman been positioned in his rightful place, then Poole would not have had the opportunity to select Ellis even with his fictitious score.

Since the introduction of Draft riders, the quality of such has a massive bearing on the outcome of all matches and the final league positions. For anyteam to stand any chance of success, they need top riders in the draft positions. That's why it is so unfair, that Poole are given this preferential treatment.

So KL protected Kerr - why didn't they go for Ellis as their 2nd tier pick was before Poole??!

You're just coming out with the usual b/s without knowing the facts

Edited by Skidder1

So KL protected Kerr - why didn't they go for Ellis as their 2nd tier pick was before Poole??!

Kerr had higher average than Newman, so Poole's turn would have been ahead of King's Lynn's.

• Like 2

You're just coming out with the usual b/s without knowing the facts; Pot - Kettle !!!!!!!

As with other clubs, we don't have no problem with Poole protecting Newman, its the false selection process that follows when going for the Tier 2 rider. I think you'll find Poole had the second choice instead of the 8th...... By the time Lynn choose, Ellis was long gone....

• Like 1

So you would have been happy if last season Jason Garitty was not protected and this season James Sarjeant is not protected???????????

RP

Yes. If you have a draft it has to be designed to help the teams that struggled the year before otherwise the sane teams keep the advantage.

I'd rather have a fair system than win at all costs so I'd have been happy with this from the start of the draft.

• Like 1

Kerr had higher average than Newman, so Poole's turn would have been ahead of King's Lynn's.

Kerr had a slightly higher average (0.19 higher) in the PL but Newman had a much higher average in the EL. That is the root of the problem.

You have to compare like with like, not what happens elsewhere. Logic says that if they are being picked for EL teams then it's EL averages that should count. If you don't take the EL averages you might as well do it on who is the best darts player or best snakes and ladders player for all the relevance it is. The PL is a different league with different tracks and different opponents with no protected heats. It's not rocket science. It makes no sense at all to take PL averages, except in th warped world of Matt and Muddlo.

• Like 4

Yes. If you have a draft it has to be designed to help the teams that struggled the year before otherwise the sane teams keep the advantage.

I'd rather have a fair system than win at all costs so I'd have been happy with this from the start of the draft.

I see where you are coming from....................but the draft originally was designed to bring through the lower grade PL and all NL riders that wanted to be in it................the first year it was in the majority of the tier 2 riders were out of their depth..............last year I felt it was much fairer and this year well.............I am not sure.............I am still trying to get my head round why Kyle Howarth is in it when he has been in the full team at various places over the last few years.................surely (and I have nothing against Kyle) that defeats the object of the draft in its entirety............

RP

Can't believe the know all of the forum can't understand the rules :lol::lol:

Kerr had a slightly higher average (0.19 higher) in the PL but Newman had a much higher average in the EL. That is the root of the problem.

You have to compare like with like, not what happens elsewhere. Logic says that if they are being picked for EL teams then it's EL averages that should count. If you don't take the EL averages you might as well do it on who is the best darts player or best snakes and ladders player for all the relevance it is. The PL is a different league with different tracks and different opponents with no protected heats. It's not rocket science. It makes no sense at all to take PL averages, except in th warped world of Matt and Muddlo.

its just another loophole to gets riders on as low an average as possible

i'd like to see some transparency which promoters drafted and then voted on using PL averages....

• Like 1

I'm sorry E l Addio, but that is a ridiculous suggestion.

Clearly their golfing capabilities would make much more sense.

• Like 2

I'm sorry E l Addio, but that is a ridiculous suggestion.

Clearly their golfing capabilities would make much more sense.

If that was the case, the Poole reserves would be Davy Watt and Dakota North.

• Like 1

Will ask the new Chairman at our supporters meeting why PL averages were used ......

• Like 1

Surely the reason why PL averages were used was because they were the most real for everyone involved. All the EL averages were either inflated or deflated due to the EL protected race format.

You're just coming out with the usual b/s without knowing the facts; Pot - Kettle !!!!!!!

As with other clubs, we don't have no problem with Poole protecting Newman, its the false selection process that follows when going for the Tier 2 rider. I think you'll find Poole had the second choice instead of the 8th...... By the time Lynn choose, Ellis was long gone....

If Newman was either top or 2nd in the Tier 1 list (excluding Garrity) then why would Poole have had 2nd pick in the Tier 2 selection? As I said By the time Poole's choice came around they chose the best 3.00 still available, whose other fixtures only had minimal clashes.

Surely the reason why PL averages were used was because they were the most real for everyone involved. All the EL averages were either inflated or deflated due to the EL protected race format.

If Newman was either top or 2nd in the Tier 1 list (excluding Garrity) then why would Poole have had 2nd pick in the Tier 2 selection? As I said By the time Poole's choice came around they chose the best 3.00 still available, whose other fixtures only had minimal clashes.

How were the pl averages the "most real"? Surely they are inflated, otherwise the 0.6 multiplier wouldn't be needed. Why couldn't a multiplier instead have been used for el averages, which are surely the best indication. One team has benefitted, and only that team's supporters are defending the rule. And they gain twice - extra point available for team building and a better tier two pick. It's a ludicrous decision.

And your proof that the sport is corrupt is where??????????

RP

I thought people didn't need to provide proof? Seem to recall you throwing a tantrum when asked to back up your statement that Newman would have been in the poole 1-5 last year even if not in the draft. Or proof that Nicki was coerced into wearing Darcy kevlars.

Anything yet to support your claim about vatcher being responsible for the draft?

Edited by waihekeaces1
  • Like 1

But the point is that every drafts riders EL average was equally inflated so they all lost in equal measures.

I do accept there is then the issue of how you determine how they move into the 1-5. Maybe just taking 75% of their EL averages would have been fairer? The onyl rider who loss out doing it that way is Newman who has a large discrepancy between his EL and PL average. Surely you can see it mad that that only just over half a point between Newman and Bates in the EL, Newman is far superior to Bates at EL and Bates PL average is inflated due to riding 90% of a season in reserve while Newmans is deflated due to having to ride so many heat 15s.