British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Jon Armstrong Off To Mildenhall

Press release from Mildenhall Speedway -

Fen Tigers legend returns for 2016 season

The latest signing for the 2016 Mildenhall ‘KJM’ Fen Tigers sees the return for a third time in his illustrious career for Fen Tigers legend and fans favourite Jon Armstrong. One of the most respected riders in the sport promoter Kevin Jolly is looking for Armstrong not only to exhibit his skills on the track but bring that all important experience and knowledge to help the younger members of his team.

Armstrong previously rode for the Fen Tigers between 2004 & 2006 and again in 2013 and remains one of the masters of the West Row circuit. Now entering his 24th season in the sport the evergreen Mancunian will be looking to add further trophies to the League Championship, Four-Team Championship, Conference Trophy & KO Cup he won with the all conquering 2004 Fen Tigers!

Promoter Kevin Jolly was pleased to secure Armstrong’s return – he said –

“It became clear during last season how much we lacked an experienced head amongst our young side, and I did not want to go down that road again this time around. Jon is a special rider at Mildenhall and his return will I am sure be met with excitement by our supporters who hold him, like I do, in such high regard. Not only does he bring so much with his skills on the track, but it is in the pits where his experience and knowhow is so invaluable. He always has time for people and is a great team player and both Robert (Henry) and I look forward to working with him again”

Armstrong was equally pleased to be returning to the track he calls home –

“Once Kevin (Jolly) spoke to me, there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to return to Mildenhall. It is a track I love and the fans there are awesome, many of them we call friends and it will be great to see them again. I have had nothing but happy days at Mildenhall and see no reason why it shouldn’t be the same this time, I enjoy racing at Mildenhall and am looking forward to a good season. I have plenty to sort out ahead of the new season but come next March will be raring to go. Before that I look forward to coming down for the ‘Meet the Riders’ evening and catching up with everyone. I can’t wait to get started now!”

Edited by PhilK
  • Like 1

Good luck to Armo. Hope he has a good season with the 'Moggies'.

Great team man and great with the fans too. A credit to the sport and a big help to Dudley / Cradley in the early days following our return to the track.

• Like 2

Just moved back to Suffolk and now this great news.

West Row for me next season then when not Grasstracking.

Yep and he has stuck 2 fingers up to the Stoke supporters that payed for him to have his engine sorted,

Yep and he has stuck 2 fingers up to the Stoke supporters that payed for him to have his engine sorted,

Hardly !!!!!!

• Like 1

Happens up and down the country. There are loads of supporters that have helped out with running costs over the season & that is exactly what is, that season.

Jon has been a fantastic servant to Stoke and Im sure he will get a warm welcome upon his return.

• Like 2

Yawn! Idiot alert

Press Release from Mildenhall Speedway

Halsey returns to complete ‘KJM’ Fen Tigers top four for 2016

Mildenhall ‘KJM’ Fen Tigers have completed their top four with the return for a sixth season of fans favourite and 2015 number one Danny Halsey. Although experiencing a season where he wasn’t quite at his brilliant best, Halsey retained the number one race jacket all season and promoter Kevin Jolly has no doubts that there is still plenty more to come from the 2014 National League Riders Champion.

Halsey was a member a of the all conquering 2012 Grand Slam side and also has won the KO Cup in 2011 and the National Trophy in 2014 with the Fen Tigers and is a master of the West Row circuit.

Kevin Jolly was pleased to complete his top four –

“Whilst one or two people may be surprised to see Dan back, I have no doubt that he remains one of the National League’s top riders and he is a most capable number one. Few ride our circuit better than Dan and he will I feel add to his average this season with the strong support that Jon (Armstrong) & the Connors (Mountain & Coles) will provide. They are a powerful unit and I will be looking for us to be unbeaten at home this coming season. Dan is a quiet guy and maybe that gives the impression he is quite laid back, but that is not a true representation of him. He was deeply disappointed with his 2015 season and is keen to return and put things right this time around and we are backing him to do exactly that.”

Halsey was equally pleased to return to West Row for a sixth season – he said –

“After initially thinking I had ridden my last race for Mildenhall, I am pleased to be back for another season. Things did not go the way I wanted them to last year and I found myself not enjoying my speedway. Following a couple of lengthy conversations with Kevin and the recall of Jon Armstrong along with both Connors I am confident next year will be a good one for Mildenhall that will give the fans, Kevin and myself something to be happy about again.

After experiencing my worst season for a few seasons I am keener than ever to put that right and prove to the Mildenhall faithful that Kevin has made the right decision in asking me back for another season. I genuinely believe I can at least put another 1.00 on my average and I am already training and getting my bikes ready in order to do this. I would like to wish all the Mildenhall supporters a Happy Christmas and look forward to seeing you all again at the 'Meet the riders evening in the New Year”.

Surprising but gives Mildenhall a decent top 4. Looks like Jolly is confident the points limit will be at least 38.

Leaves gaps for 3 x 3 pointers though and as last season proved that can have mixed results. Kent and Birmingham started the season with the same team lay out and look how contrasting their two seasons were!

A bit off topic, but what happened to the guy down the road from West Row, who was objecting to the noise and trying to get the speedway closed? Have I missed something, or did he drop his objections? I've not seen or heard anything about it lately. Can any Mildenhall supporters enlighten me?

Good looking team for 2016. I'll be there when I have some Sundays free.

He was probably eliminated...

There was a separate Thread on the subject: http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=79860&p=2653150

And the latest in the Press was: http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/new_judgement_could_force_mildenhall_stadium_to_close_1_4165627

I don't know if there have been any developments since then, but at the time the stadium owners' were faced with costs of nearly £500,000 and a court order restricting the stadium to just 12 events a year should the house, that the couple had bought less than a third of a mile from the stadium, be re-built following it being demolished after it had been gutted by a fire in June 2010.

Can you imagine that couple purchased the property just 560 yards from the track and said they never realised they would hear the noise from speedway or stock car racing!!!

They are either thick as planks or telling down right lies!!! How the court could give a judgment in their favour for a property burnt down beggars belief.

It seems the poor old speedway or stock car fans have no consideration as usual from the powers to be.

• Like 1