British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Are There Any Characters Within The Sport Anymore?

Steve roberts..........I remember when he 'engaged' in conversation with Soldier Boy (another character) over a decision with fingers pointing adding to the entertainment!

Ah.... Soldier Boy there's a blast from the past. I wonder what he's doing these days?

I would include John Berry in the list of managers who liked winding the crowd up as he would often stand at the starting gate at Blackbird Road looking at his watch if a Leicester rider was on 2 minutes. :lol:

.....Foamfence......You've written exactly the same thing on other threads in the past, you've had more digs than my gardener. No apology!

I can't see what SCB has said wrong. Who is he supposed to have had digs at?

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

You can still like a drink and woman and be a character though. Billy Janniro managed it. Loved at Coventry, he was certainly a character but he never turned up drunk or got arrested for taking drugs.

Hmmm

Give it a rest you saddo.

Always one who tries to ruin a polite debate!

You can still like a drink and woman and be a character though. Billy Janniro managed it. Loved at Coventry, he was certainly a character but he never turned up drunk or got arrested for taking drugs.

Didn't he one fully live up to his BJ initials in the back of his van. Not sure HMRC consider him a character either!!!!!

• Like 2

For some you can't say anything that they might be able to link to Saint Darcy.

• Like 2

Ah.... Soldier Boy there's a blast from the past. I wonder what he's doing these days?

I would include John Berry in the list of managers who liked winding the crowd up as he would often stand at the starting gate at Blackbird Road looking at his watch if a Leicester rider was on 2 minutes. :lol:

Remember the story when said Berry and Ron Bagley visited Hull...and proceeded to measure the width of the track (it was always 'suggested' that the width didn't conform) to the annoyance of the home fans and Ian Thomas!

Did I read somewhere that Soldier Boy won the lottery or some such thing?

Edited by steve roberts

You've written exactly the same thing on other threads in the past, you've had more digs than my gardener. No apology!

You're going to have to explain this one to me. I'll explain my thinking to you. Someone posted on here that rider that were considered characters in the past would be slagged off these days, I simply pointed out that Billy Janniro was considered a character fairly recently (as in the last 10 years) for his drinking and womanising amongst other things. He managed to do it without causing offence and most people seemed to like him. So the suggestion you can't do these things and be a character is wrong.

I've not mentioned Billy Janniro for ages, so I'm not sure where else I have mentioned the "same thing" and it certainly wasn't a dig as I was a huge fan of Billys.

Seems I was right not to hold out for that apology, says quite a lot about you.

Didn't he one fully live up to his BJ initials in the back of his van. Not sure HMRC consider him a character either!!!!!

He allegedly did many times. Although there was one slightly more high profile time where a girl denied it after initially claiming it happened :o And I'm sure they're not exactly in his fan club - but I'm sure that true of many Aussie and American riders over the years.

Totally agree. Such a 'character" that he is highly unlikely to return to this country because of tax offences. Not likely to ride for the USA in England anytime.

Robert Lamberts mum :P

Guess you could also include one time hot talent Danny Knakowski,who had a spell inside for (I think)armed robbery

Reputation has taken a bashing of late,but Len Silver is still one of the old characters

Edited by iris123

lets widen the character list, dear old Howdy Byford who was always up for giving the crowd a song, Chris Julian, Eric Howe 'the little man in the white boots' Frank Johnson, Ray Wickett who became a TV and film stuntman, Clive Hitch was a lovely guy to a 14 year old but it wasnt wise to exclude him unfairly, Chris BLEWETTS Death dives at Exeter incluoing hhis overtake at Exeter wall of death ride halfway up the fence at Exeter and the man i was proud to call a friend Ian Thomas

• Like 1

lets widen the character list, dear old Howdy Byford who was always up for giving the crowd a song, Chris Julian, Eric Howe 'the little man in the white boots' Frank Johnson, Ray Wickett who became a TV and film stuntman, Clive Hitch was a lovely guy to a 14 year old but it wasnt wise to exclude him unfairly, Chris BLEWETTS Death dives at Exeter incluoing hhis overtake at Exeter wall of death ride halfway up the fence at Exeter and the man i was proud to call a friend Ian Thomas

I bet you can quote some Ian Thomas' stories...always one ready to bend/manipulate rules to his advantage!

Collin Goody had almost as many fights as he did races.I remember a race at Swindon once,when he got huge roller,and beat Briggo to the first bend, and as he went past him on the back straight,Briggo booted him on the lower back! Briggo had his moments as a character too!

• Like 1

Collin Goody had almost as many fights as he did races.I remember a race at Swindon once,when he got huge roller,and beat Briggo to the first bend, and as he went past him on the back straight,Briggo booted him on the lower back! Briggo had his moments as a character too!

It would be great to read an article on 'Joe' Gooddy. I recall seeing his bike parked up in the Poole car park and it appeared to be tied together with string! I remember my brother telling me that 'Joe' and 'Speedy' Pete Jarman would look out for each other and if anyone messed with either the other would be to his rescue...so to speak!

Edited by steve roberts

The occasion that John Berry had to 'rugby tackle' Eric Broadbelt who, with track rake in hand, was about to have an altercation with John Louis after an on track 'coming together!'

Give it a rest you saddo.

???

For Birimingham fans from the 70's Arthur Browning was the ultimate character. Full maximum from the reserve berth in his firs match for Birmingham. Twice completed a race when his handlebars broke. Finishing third on each occasion if my memory serves. Many stories about Arthur taking offence at anothers riding tactics and letting them know in a way that required few words. (Usually in defence of a team mate.) Arthur has competed succesfully in the TT once using a speedway engine.

Also if you have ever watched the cadbury milk tray advert with the Bike rider making a jump. That was Arthur.

Arthur is still a character. Just ask the cradley fans that watched him demolish the fence at one of there meetings this year.

I would also hold up Martin Smolinski and Ben Barker as recent Birmingham riders as real characters.

• Like 2