British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayPortal

Isle Of Wight Wightlink Warriors 2016

Wightlink Warrior Andy won't be able to access this forum for a couple of days so, for a full IOW Fixture list go to: http://www.wightwarriors.co/ and click on the drop down menu on top left hand corner on your screen. Well worth visiting the club's media channel too at Speedwayportal.com - drop down to the bottom of the opening page and click on the appropriate panel.

A lot of work has taken place during the winter refurbishing both the stadium and track, the latter being fitted with an airfence for the very first time, and several travel deals have been negotiated for both vehicle and foot passenger crossings etc. Full details again on the club's website.

Plenty to see and do in addition to the speedway so see you there!

Thanks Bryn...will pop over for a chat.

As near as makes no difference the Ryde track and the old Custom House track are the same size. From memory, which may be faulty, race times at Custom House in the late 60's when I attended every week were around 70 secs. We all thought West Ham was a fast exciting track. The Ryde track record at NL level is 66.4 secs. making today's juniors, on this track at least as exciting to watch as the top guys back in the day when I was a regular.

I think this old-time fan would rather enjoy a trip to the Island.

• Like 1

As near as makes no difference the Ryde track and the old Custom House track are the same size. From memory, which may be faulty, race times at Custom House in the late 60's when I attended every week were around 70 secs. We all thought West Ham was a fast exciting track. The Ryde track record at NL level is 66.4 secs. making today's juniors, on this track at least as exciting to watch as the top guys back in the day when I was a regular.

I think this old-time fan would rather enjoy a trip to the Island.

Go on get over there to this friendly club on this lovely isle, hardly changed since the 60s!

After 2 or 3 failed attempts to get to the Island, for various reasons, I finally made it into the Stadium to watch the rain fall. I hope to get there this year and actually see some speedway.

What the best most convenient and cheapest way to get to the stadium as a travelling fan?

Car all the way or Park at Portsmouth and ferry across as a foot passenger? Or another way?

Oh yeh, and if you travel as a foot passenger, how do you get from port to stadium and back....and all that?

Edited by stevec

Park in pompey then get sea cat, taxi takes you from pier to stadium and back again as part of the cost.

Park in pompey then get sea cat, taxi takes you from pier to stadium and back again as part of the cost.

Seconded

See Warriors website for ticket details and to buy inclusive ticket online.

• Like 1

As at 7.15pm today (Wednesday) looking at the Met Office hour-by-hour website section for Ryde tomorrow, their forecast is for NO rain all day/evening so all bodes well at this stage for the National Trophy match against Kent.

Admission prices etc., including pre-meeting pit access period are available via the IOW club's official website.

See you there?

• Like 1

Cheers. may do that when Eastie in town

According to the appropriate Met Office website at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html the hour-by-hour forecast for Ryde basically says they forecast that NO rain will fall on Ryde today so, see you there?

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Get the moans out of the way : the dust was ridiculous and it was clear that that the track was dry an hour before the start. Second, leave the presentation to Mr Williams.

This was an entertaining meeting despite the score with some cracking racing - largely, it must be said, from Kent who attacked a track that lent itself to passing. Bowen was imperious, Shanes brilliant and Ayres almost unbeatable. The warriors had no one to match them, although Saul and Baseby tried hard. Impressed with Dugard and Thomas.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

My first live meeting and I agree totally with Halifax Tiger. The dust was irritating but that was the only drawback from a very entertaining meeting. From an effort point of view Wight probably didn't deserve quite such a hammering but Kent were strong all the way through.

Dugard has added to my ever growing list of "I saw his dad and grandad ride" (not sure whether that is a good thing for me but ....) and he looked good. So did Thomas.

Highlight of the night for me though was the sight of James Shanes for the first time. Bloody hell he was impressive. I don't want to go overboard but he reminded me of the first time ever I saw Peter Collins. Particularly interested in him as he is a Dorset lad and I can't help once again cursing every single bastard who had any part in the destruction of Weymouth Speedway. If not for them maybe James would have been another part of the Weymouth Speedway story. Hey, we might not still have Speedway here but at least we can still dream!

Anyway, a good night of Speedway.

:)

• Like 2

Glad the Island got their first "proper" meeting off and running. Whilst the dust sounds like an opening night issue the lack of dirt could be a concern over the season?

Tough for them to come up against a very in form Kent as an opener and im sure better results will come. The middle order riders will all deliver better points tallys than they achieved last night and the reserves should develop a home advantage.

The season will swing on how Compton performs but i still think this can be a decent mid table side.

On a final note regarding the Kent meeting, I complained on the IOW facebook page about the dust (while saying also that it was a cracking meeting) and have had a first class response from the promotion.

That's something that doesn't always happen - it has been aggression and abuse before - so all credit to them.

I am sure that I am not alone in wishing the Warriors promotion success, because I think they have made a big effort here.

My first live meeting and I agree totally with Halifax Tiger. The dust was irritating but that was the only drawback from a very entertaining meeting. From an effort point of view Wight probably didn't deserve quite such a hammering but Kent were strong all the way through.

Dugard has added to my ever growing list of "I saw his dad and grandad ride" (not sure whether that is a good thing for me but ....) and he looked good. So did Thomas.

Highlight of the night for me though was the sight of James Shanes for the first time. Bloody hell he was impressive. I don't want to go overboard but he reminded me of the first time ever I saw Peter Collins. Particularly interested in him as he is a Dorset lad and I can't help once again cursing every single bastard who had any part in the destruction of Weymouth Speedway. If not for them maybe James would have been another part of the Weymouth Speedway story. Hey, we might not still have Speedway here but at least we can still dream!

Anyway, a good night of Speedway.

:)

Shanes certainly has a stunning style, there's no doubt of that. His astonishing performance at Buxton last season - I have never seen anyone ride Hi Edge like he did - was one of the most impressive I saw in 2015.

• Like 1