British Speedway Forum
Bradford Hawk

Coventry After 2016?

It's commion Knowledge that both Martin and Linda were still running Coventry Speedway ,And were absolutely distrought at being forced out . so your guess is wrong on more than one count.

I just don't get this. How could they have been forced out? It was also common knowledge that Martin didn't have his father's keen interest in Speedway so he and Linda must have put the stadium up for sale in the first place. Mr Sandhu couldn't have bought something that wasn't for sale.

• Like 3

I just don't get this. How could they have been forced out? It was also common knowledge that Martin didn't have his father's keen interest in Speedway so he and Linda must have put the stadium up for sale in the first place. Mr Sandhu couldn't have bought something that wasn't for sale.

Not distraught enough to sell up? Builders been sniffing round brandon for years. Was only a matter of time. Sandhu at least still appears to keep an interest. That is the only hope against other venues when faceless corporations have sold out...We await the outcome. Of course the brandon planning app needs to go through first??
  • Like 1

It's commion Knowledge that both Martin and Linda were still running Coventry Speedway ,And were absolutely distrought at being forced out . so your guess is wrong on more than one count ,

If you have inside information and I am wrong, I stand corrected.

However, I struggle to see how they could be forced out. They sold out - I don't think anyone is disputing that. For a sale to take place you need two things: A willing seller and a buyer with the wherewithal to pay. Sandhu bought the company and the assets and the previous owners took his money. No forcing involved.

• Like 2

I'd love Speedibee to answer because he's said the same thing on here more than once over the years but never explained how Martin and Linda were 'forced out.' If they were distraught at selling the stadium they would have carried on surely and not put it up for sale? More than likely the money was more tempting when Martin had no interest in Speedway. Over to you Speedibee with your explanation how they were forced out. :)

I'd love Speedibee to answer because he's said the same thing on here more than once over the years but never explained how Martin and Linda were 'forced out.' If they were distraught at selling the stadium they would have carried on surely and not put it up for sale? More than likely the money was more tempting when Martin had no interest in Speedway. Over to you Speedibee with your explanation how they were forced out. :)

DID the Ochiltrees ever own the stadium? Wasn't it a Mr Sanderson who owned it but guaranteed speedway's existence there under the stewardship of the Ochiltrees?

LInda was the dirving force , Martin was only really interested in his quad buddies and skiing in the winter , they only took on a partner in ther first Place Hans Kirimaar was his name , because they didnt have the cash to improve and move forward . it was kirimaars share that Sandhu bought , Now I had a meeting with Martin Ochiltree .1 Week before the break up to discuss souvenirs and apparel not just for that season but as an ongoing contract . during my discussions with him he certainly seem like a man who was considering his future with the club . If only I had known that peole would have forgotten so quickly ,I would have kepot copies of the prerss statements from both the Ochiltrees and Sandhu neither of which tried to disguise what was an acrimonious split , but TBH It was so momentus I didnt expect long term supporters to forget it themselves

DID the Ochiltrees ever own the stadium? Wasn't it a Mr Sanderson who owned it but guaranteed speedway's existence there under the stewardship of the Ochiltrees?

The Sandersons were the main shareholders in Midland Sports stadiums , they were as Sandhu is, owners of a hotel group . with investments in other things , over the years charles Ochiltree became a larger and larger shareholder in Coventry and by the time Hans Kirimaar bought in the Ochiltrees owned it all , it was then going to have a daytona style tarmac banked oval built around the outside , but Kirimaar sold out to Sandhu before that even got to the planning stage ,

http://www.coventrybees.co/news.php?extend.1648

not really on subject , but should make interesting reading for you Gemini , the words of an Honest man

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply which I am studying but as I'm a bit thick it might take a while for me to understand. :lol:

So Martin took on a partner Kirimaar, who then sold his share to Sandhu, but that doesn't mean he could force Martin out unless he wanted to go? :unsure:

As far as I am concerned all the talk of the club closing its doors to speedway is not correct all I wish to do is sell the club so it can continue to grow & prosper. In fact the statement has been made now to give maximum amount of time for potential buyers to come forward and to stop speculation about what I may or may not do with the team.

Presumably no actual buyer came forward in 2011 being as the club was just leased out?

Edited by Gemini

Thanks for the reply which I am studying but as I'm a bit thick it might take a while for me to understand. :lol:

Regarding this bit The Sandersons were the main shareholders in Midland Sports stadiums , they were as Sandhu is, owners of a hotel group . with investments in other things , over the years charles Ochiltree became a larger and larger shareholder in Coventry and by the time Hans Kirimaar bought in the Ochiltrees owned it all , it was then going to have a daytona style tarmac banked oval built around the outside , but Kirimaar sold out to Sandhu before that even got to the planning stage.

If the Ochiltree's owned it all how could Kirimaar have sold out to Sandhu?

Hang on I think I'm getting it now a bit more has been digested. So Martin took on a partner Kirimaar, who then sold his share to Sandhu, but that doesn't mean he could force Martin out unless he wanted to go?

That bits right Kirrimaar bought a share of what Ochiltrees owned and susequently sold it to Sandhu , Sandhus intention was to drive the Ochiltrees out and build houses , A quest which he was only partially successful in , according to the statements of the time of the split , Sandhu and the Ochiltrees arrived at a point where they could no longer work together , Ochiltrees could not afford to buy Sandhu out so the only option was for him to buy them out . the split was acrimonious and the Ochiltrees left under a cloud , Sandhu later released a statement with details of the fallout and his admission of his intentions when buying Kirimas share in the first place , his plans were thwarted by Rugby councils outright refusal to allow development . and so having no choice in the matter and now being the owner of a speedway stadium he tried to make a success of what he was left with but all along his intention to build houses has never waned despite his press releases to the contrary like the one I have posted a link to .

LInda was the dirving force , Martin was only really interested in his quad buddies and skiing in the winter , they only took on a partner in ther first Place Hans Kirimaar was his name , because they didnt have the cash to improve and move forward . it was kirimaars share that Sandhu bought , Now I had a meeting with Martin Ochiltree .1 Week before the break up to discuss souvenirs and apparel not just for that season but as an ongoing contract . during my discussions with him he certainly seem like a man who was considering his future with the club . If only I had known that peole would have forgotten so quickly ,I would have kepot copies of the prerss statements from both the Ochiltrees and Sandhu neither of which tried to disguise what was an acrimonious split , but TBH It was so momentus I didnt expect long term supporters to forget it themselves

The Sandersons were the main shareholders in Midland Sports stadiums , they were as Sandhu is, owners of a hotel group . with investments in other things , over the years charles Ochiltree became a larger and larger shareholder in Coventry and by the time Hans Kirimaar bought in the Ochiltrees owned it all , it was then going to have a daytona style tarmac banked oval built around the outside , but Kirimaar sold out to Sandhu before that even got to the planning stage ,http://www.coventrybees.co/news.php?extend.1648

not really on subject , but should make interesting reading for you Gemini , the words of an Honest man

None of this lends any weight to the 'Ochiltrees-were-forced-out' conspiracy theory. You say that the Ochiltrees sold a share to someone who sold it on to Sandhu. If it was a controlling share, they shouldn't have been surprised that the new partner wanted to have control. The Daytona plan was obviously a non-starter; the whole Brandon property plus half the village could probably fit into the infield at Daytona.

I am not pro or anti either Sandhu or the Ochiltrees. The latter didn't owe anything to Coventry Speedway, rather the other way round. If M Ochiltree chose to cash in his family's investment, good luck to him.

Without Sandhu, Cov Speedway would probably have disappeared years ago. The fact is that we have had an extra 8 or so years under Sandhu and subsequently Mick Horton. How many clubs have gone under in that time?

If we get a new stadium, great. If we don't, well that's the state of Speedway in the 21st century, but the decline started under the previous ownership.

• Like 5

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that speedibee is correct here .

Mr Sandhu bought out Midland Sport Stadiums, at the time ,as far as I can determine there were just two directors Martin & his mother.

The Sandersons & Mr Gilmour had resigned from the company,& Hans Kirimaar was never listed as a director of MSS.

The departure of the Ochiltrees was a result of a major disagreement over the how the new owner wanted to run his business as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

Still confusion then. :neutral: The only thing we know as definite fact is that Mr Sandhu originally bought the stadium with the intention of building houses ~ he's never made any secret of that ~ and it looks like he will now get his way 13 or so years later.

Mr Sandhu bought out Midland Sport Stadiums, at the time ,as far as I can determine there were just two directors Martin & his mother.

The Sandersons & Mr Gilmour had resigned from the company,& Hans Kirimaar was never listed as a director of MSS.

The departure of the Ochiltrees was a result of a major disagreement over the how the new owner wanted to run his business as far as I am aware.

Fair enough. The way he ran his business gave us the Bees' most successful run in years, and more investment into the stadium and the team than had been the case for decades. Just a pity that the BSPA reactionaries cheesed him off so much that he walked away.

• Like 4

We need to be careful not to get confused by directorship and shareholding. It is quite possible to hold the majority of shares in a business without being a director of it, rather like you can own a speedway business but not actually be a licensed promoter (and vice-versa).

It's quite possible that Kirimaar could have had a majority share which was sold to Sandhu without either being a director, at least initially so hopefully that lessens the confusion. Now what happened to Jack Parker's share? I take it he cashed-in in the eighties.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

Just a pity that the BSPA reactionaries cheesed him off so much that he walked away.

Are the actual facts of what went on with Sandhu and the BSPA actually known and in the public domain?

If so can anybody condense it down to a paragraph?