British Speedway Forum
SCB

You Shouldn't Call People Retards. It's Offensive

You see, I look upto Middlo, he's a hero. I like to copy what he does and says. If he uses the word retarded I just assume it's the cool thing to do because Middlo is cool isn't he?

That's what all kids do nowadays, isn't it?

• Like 2

No you shouldn't call people retards. And that proves to me there is favoritisum on this forum. The Jon Cook part of what SCB called him taken away and SCB doesn't get a ban..

Shocking isn't it! Dear oh dear you tell me to go and play with traffic then get all high and mighty when someone uses a word you don't like! Your a pathetic joke a hypocrite and a weasel

Really, so what does that make you then ..

Again trying to bail yourself out. utter :icon_smile_clown: arn't you..

oops calling someone names again tut tut tut. Love the effort you put in to your responses when questioned. Next you will say your dad is bigger than everyone else's dad. Or maybe just once your brain may make the effort to actually respond in a normal manner. Which member of the Starman family is using it this week?
  • Like 1

Is this thread from the recent programme based on 4 year olds at school?

Is this thread from the recent programme based on 4 year olds at school?

If it is, it explains why Starman is out of his depth.

• Like 5

If it is, it explains why Starman is out of his depth.

Oh come on. a puddle would put Starman out of his depth !!

• Like 1

When I was once a likkle boy I used to watch Jackanory.....I fkn hated it.? It was s*ITE. Just like this forum!

When I was once a likkle boy I used to watch Jackanory.....I fkn hated it.? It was s*ITE. Just like this forum!

Why did you watch it then ? :D

• Like 4

Sorry, that's crap, See the second definition of the word on the link below. It simply isn't appropriate to use the word in the way intended here. Context means nothing. If you think it's OK to use a word that is an insulting term to describe someone who happens to be less fortunate than most of us in terms of their mental capability, (regardless of context) shame on you and anyone else who agrees with you.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/retard

As an accident of birth it could be any one of us, or our loved ones. If one of your family was in that position, how would you feel reading some of these thread titles or comments.

Feel free to come back with a clever retort or sarcastic comment, I couldn't care less. It won' alter the fact that it shouldn't be used, regardless of your view.

Not crap at all.

It takes a warped mind to link the two as you have...

Context is everything and intelligent humans can understand that.

Those with issues don't and try and turn things into something they are not. You have the problem, not others.

I note you have also chosen a definition to suit your case, ignoring the fact there are other definitions of the word as well.

As it happens I have lost a family member who had a mentally challenged condition and as I have said on another thread if someone had called him a retard I would have been very angry about it. However he hasn't, nobody else's family has either so getting all worked up about a word used on a forum is quite simply attention seeking.

• Like 2

getting all worked up about a word used on a forum is quite simply attention seeking.

Well mate, and much as I respect you, I'm afraid that on this one we're going to have to differ. Context, as you rightly remark, is everything. The context in this case is that SCB, by his own admission -- actually declaration would be a more accurate term -- chose a specific term for his thread title purely to draw attention to it.

I certainly got worked up about it. I set out my argument in post 291 in the Jon Cook thread and at times became so emotional that I found it difficult to type accurately; if that makes me an attention seeker, so be it.

For the record, I don't support a ban. The term used was, in my opinion, gratuitous, insulting, boorish and has no place in a modern society. Its use has lowered SCB in my estimation (not, rightly, that he should care about that).Through gritted teeth I defend his right to use it. Just don't expect me to be happy about it.

Edited by Fourentee
  • Like 3

I see where you are coming from, but, that is your interpretation of the word. Many folk use it with no connotations towards those with mental illnesses at all, its just a term they may use when they think someone is a fool.

Modern society spends too much time getting upset over things that aren't upsetting.

It is simply a word, a word as I have said that different people give different meaning too. Two young relatives of mine for example think the word is solely for someone who is an idiot, they have no idea of its relation to mentally challenged/disabled people.

I think it fair to say that it's hardly my interpretation alone. Surely you must acknowledge the widespread pejorative overtones? As a rule of thumb, is it a term you'd be happy to use to somebody's face?

Edited for iffy spelling.

Edited by Fourentee
  • Like 1

I think it fair to say that it's hardly my interpretation alone. Surely you must acknowledge the widespread perjorative overtones? As a rule of thumb, is it a term you'd be happy to use to somebody's face?

Of course not, many many people will interpret it as you have done, many others will interpret it another way. However, in no way has SCB meant any insult towards anybody with any form of mental condition. It's my belief that it's the meaning behind someones words that matters.. not the word itself, after all that's just a sound uttered by us humans.

I can understand where you are coming from however and no doubt the closer you are to such a situation the more sensitive you will be.

• Like 1

Well, as mentioned earlier, we will have to agree to differ on it. I suspect that neither of us is going to shift from our current position and at least we've had a calm and rational discussion about it ('calm' and 'rational' not being words I bandy about too often on these pages!).

Well, as mentioned earlier, we will have to agree to differ on it. I suspect that neither of us is going to shift from our current position and at least we've had a calm and rational discussion about it ('calm' and 'rational' not being words I bandy about too often on these pages!).

Indeed, I don't think either of us is right or wrong on the issue personally. To sum up, personally I think society in general is to hung up on 'words' rather than 'meanings' if that makes sense.

I was perhaps a little OTT on my earlier post, apologies to Dave the Mic for that.