British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ecksact

3 Point Reserves

I'm new on here, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

If your 3-point reserve gets injured, what do you do? Try and find another one?

Surely all the decent (and half-decent) ones have been snapped up?

I personally reckon that a team's reserves could be the big difference between success and failure this season as so many of the teams look evenly matched from 1-5. I read the 2016 league prediction thread, but surely this one possibility could potentially scupper ANY teams chances, effectively leaving them with a six-man team?

Or have I missed something?

I personally reckon that a team's reserves could be the big difference between success and failure this season as so many of the teams look evenly matched from 1-5. I read the 2016 league prediction thread, but surely this one possibility could potentially scupper ANY teams chances, effectively leaving them with a six-man team?

I disagree about teams looking evenly matched, several look to be merely making up the numbers.

Good question.

It also raises in my mind doubt about Glasgow's choice of reserve.

I don't know much about Danny, but reading from others he is allegedly a trier, but a bit harum sacrum. (Apologies if this is wrong).

So maybe teams are better going for a safe bet rider who'll see out the season.

Time will tell.

Edited by george.m

Three pointer has to be replaced by a three pointer even if the original one has upped his average

If one of the 3 pointers turns out to be the next tai woffinden and averages say 8 then gets injured before the playoffs, he will have to be replaced by a 3 pointer. That's going to be a kick in the teeth for his team.

Edited by eric i
  • Like 1

I disagree about teams looking evenly matched, several look to be merely making up the numbers.

Who?

the way i see it , all the teams are making up the numbers . thats the way it works . you cant have 1 super team and not be included in the numbers that make up the league ..

Three pointer has to be replaced by a three pointer even if the original one has upped his average

I guessed that would be the case. But where is that replacement going to come from? Unless someone makes significant early strides in the National League, finding a rider close to being capable would be difficult.

Do others like this rule? I can't make my mind up! It may be being introduced a bit too early as there just don't seem to be enough 3 pointers good enough to go round atm (especially if/when those injuries kick in). On the other hand, maybe that's the point - if they stay in the NL are they likely to progress and ever be good enough for PL?

And if the idea is to improve young British talent, is there a danger that some might be way out of their depth and end up quitting altogether and being lost to the sport, or am I just being defeatist now?

Thoughts?

Good question.

I don't know much about Danny, but reading from others he is allegedly a trier, but a bit harum sacrum. (Apologies if this is wrong).

Time will tell.

No question that Danny is a trier and has been through plenty of fences to prove it. However he is also made of solid stuff and doesn't make a fuss about being battered about.

There are plenty more reserves that are a bit fragile and have been signed.

Can 3 pointers from other teams be used as guests if a number 7 gets injured? Or does the replacement have to be unattached?

• Like 2

Good question.

Time will tell.

Nearly! For sacrum, read scarum. ;)

• Like 1

No question that Danny is a trier and has been through plenty of fences to prove it. However he is also made of solid stuff and doesn't make a fuss about being battered about.

There are plenty more reserves that are a bit fragile and have been signed.

Can 3 pointers from other teams be used as guests if a number 7 gets injured? Or does the replacement have to be unattached?

There's a hundred and one questions regarding the 3 point rule.

Every time I think I've got my head around it another couple of questions pop up.

I don't really know anything about Danny but as Glasgow are my team I'll be cheering him on, of course.

However, I can't be hypocrytical and not say that signing a guy in his late 20s, albeit a novice, wasn't really the objective of this 3.0 NL rule.

• Like 2

I just hope we don't have the situation we did a few years ago with two graded reserves at 6 & 7 tootling around at the back. At least we only may have half that situation now. Could destroy a few riders confidence though in the process. As for the in's and out's of the rules, who knows until they are published/changed.

• Like 1

obviously a shortage already decent 3.00 riders,

what happens next season when these riders become 3.10 , 3.50 etc

will the rules change again ?

don't think this was thought out

personally I would have said, your no7 should be british and under 3.50

There's a hundred and one questions regarding the 3 point rule.

Every time I think I've got my head around it another couple of questions pop up.

I don't really know anything about Danny but as Glasgow are my team I'll be cheering him on, of course.

However, I can't be hypocrytical and not say that signing a guy in his late 20s, albeit a novice, wasn't really the objective of this 3.0 NL rule.

All depends on your point of view. Personally I think the rule was brought in to aid the development of British riders (whatever age they may be) and give them a PL chance that many deserve but have often found hard to come by as they have been filled with either non progressing brits or foreign riders.

• Like 4

All depends on your point of view. Personally I think the rule was brought in to aid the development of British riders (whatever age they may be) and give them a PL chance that many deserve but have often found hard to come by as they have been filled with either non progressing brits or foreign riders.

It's not exactly mind boggling is it. Reserve a place in every team to accommodate a young British rider. Should have been done years ago, and is a natural progression to add one spot in the PL to go with the Fast Track riders in the EL.

• Like 2