British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Which Teams Are Still Looking To Finish Team Building For 2016

Well, top end riders are definitely in short supply, this I would imagine gives them quite a bargaining edge..

Leicester - 2 heat Leaders

Kings Lynn - 1 heat Leader, and a number 6.

Please add any other team shortfalls, riders that are prepared to ride UK Elite League, any other relevant info ref rider shortfalls.

Lakeside - 1 heat leader who, despite being top of the EL averages, would have (in the old days of British League) been decidedly average - particularly away from home; coupled with a Dane who is basically going to see the season out in order to get his gold watch in retirement. Add to that a bunch of second-strings and double-uppers from a lower league (who have priority), and that more or less sums us up.

Oh, I forgot. We still have a space to fill. Has anyone got a spare bike and is free most Friday evenings - apart from during August of course when, despite potentially the best weather and the kids off school, we will have our usual one meeting?

'Elite' League Speedway............my @rse!

• Like 4

Oh, I forgot. We still have a space to fill. Has anyone got a spare bike and is free most Friday evenings - apart from during August of course when, despite potentially the best weather and the kids off school, we will have our usual one meeting?

I'll give it a go, I do shift work so would be unavailable most of the time and would score just as well as I would of if I'd turned up.

Emergency Meeting being held today at BSPA Towers

as teams cant get heat leaders

strange how the bspa chairman's (team) cant attract a no1 ??

surely he can just bend the rules to suit ? lol

• Like 1

Simon Stead is available.

Everyone seemed happy for The Aces to have him as number 1 when we struggled to put a team together in 2007.

• Like 1

They made their bed, now they don't want to lie in it?

Didn't think it was an 'emergency' meeting?! 3rd Tuesday of the month as usual!! Lets just hope there are no stitch-ups over the Promoters who aren't there?! :nono::wink:

ps. Where's Lewis Bridger riding??

Lakeside - 1 heat leader who, despite being top of the EL averages, would have (in the old days of British League) been decidedly average - particularly away from home; coupled with a Dane who is basically going to see the season out in order to get his gold watch in retirement. Add to that a bunch of second-strings and double-uppers from a lower league (who have priority), and that more or less sums us up.

In the old days he would be viewed as a 'star' as he'd be winning a hell of a lot more races than he would in this format.

Secondly, is there a higher standard of league in the UK? No there isn't, so it IS the Elite League.

If you have issues with a name, pop over to the Premier League section.

That said, things are a mess, mainly due to the points limit being too high, which was pointed out by SCB when it was set.

Didn't think it was an 'emergency' meeting?! 3rd Tuesday of the month as usual!! Lets just hope there are no stitch-ups over the Promoters who aren't there?! :nono::wink:

I'm sure certain promoters have given certain instructions to certain other promoters..

Nothing to worry about from your end Skidder.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Think Bridger would end up at Leicester and Richard Lawson will d/up to complete Lakeside's side.

I'm sure that Buster, having gone to the lengths of changing race-night and consequently losing his protected Tier 1 will have something arranged to complete his team. Then again...

Simon Stead is available.

Everyone seemed happy for The Aces to have him as number 1 when we struggled to put a team together in 2007.

Some of us remember Aces fans arguing that Simon was British number 1 that winter as he had a higher average than all over British riders. One of those he had a higher average than was Scott Nicholls, Scott Nicholls the number 1 who lead Coventry to the treble. He started on an 8.5ish average. It was Nicki Pedersen wiping him out that ruined his season.

I'm sure that Buster, having gone to the lengths of changing race-night and consequently losing his protected Tier 1 will have something arranged to complete his team. Then again...

That was for Mads.

Someone said the EL points limit was too high back in November. And if you don't/didn't believe me you're thick or biased. Or both.

Edited by SCB

Its a 'points limit' FFS - that usually means not to exceed that number of points!! Nothing about how far below you have to be!!!!

In the current scenario of apparent rider availability it wouldn't have mattered if the limit was 50!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Its a 'points limit' FFS - that usually means not to exceed that number of points!! Nothing about how far below you have to be!!!!

In the current scenario of apparent rider availability it wouldn't have mattered if the limit was 50!!

The idea of the points limit is to ensure a reasonably level playing field.

As such the points limit should be set at a level that all teams can reach with the rider pool available, not at a level where a few teams can reach it and others can't.

The points limit was clearly set too high to begin with.

That said.. it was agreed upon and some times have gone out and built their teams so it would be wrong to go back and change it now.

• Like 1

The idea of the points limit is to ensure a reasonably level playing field.

As such the points limit should be set at a level that all teams can reach with the rider pool available, not at a level where a few teams can reach it and others can't.

The points limit was clearly set too high to begin with.

That said.. it was agreed upon and some times have gone out and built their teams so it would be wrong to go back and change it now.

e

One presumes that at the time the points limit was set, promoters with a reasonable degree of business acumen woukd have a pretty good idea of who was prepared to sign for them. It's obvious that Poole and Belle Vue had their ducks more or less in a row before the season ended. Wolves clearly had a good idea of who there spearhead would be well before the AGM leaving only minor placings to be filled. We have known since last July that AJ was coming back to Lakeside and at Lakeside's last meeting of the season certain riders were told there would be jobs for them in 2016 and they agreed to them. Swindon and Coventry seem to have had a fair idea of the basis of their sides. All of those clubs seem to be more or less in striking distance of the points limit.

There are only two teams struggling at the moment and one wonders why they agreed to the points limit if they didn't have some idea who they wanted. Both were gambling on the return of riders who were known to be uncertain, but neither had a plan B. Neither seems to have put any serious feelers out before the AGM.

Yes it would be wrong to go back and change it all now but like any organisation the BSPA is only as strong as its weakest links and if changing it all now is what it takes to stop the dithering promotions going under that , or something like it is what will happen. Doesn't bode well for Chapmans chairmanship of the BSPA.

• Like 1

And you know the 2 teams agreed to the points limit?