British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coldace

Speedway In Asia

Just wondering whether anyone knows of Asian venues where speedway has been staged. I've been to the Japanese version in Tokyo in the early 80's when living in Hong Kong but it was on tarmac and only about betting. I'm sure I've read somewhere about an effort to run speedway in Manila but don't remember it myself. Any information would be welcome.

Always felt that it would go down well in Malaysia where they are bike mad.

Malaysia was tried in 2007, but for some reason it lasted just one season.

Here is the old BSF Topic http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=35360&hl=malaysia

I wonder if the ambitious project (as was recently mentioned in Speedway Star) of Gary Hay and Jimmy Ogisu, and backed by the Yamaha Motorcycle Company, to stage a speedway meeting in Tokyo this year will ever become reality, I have strong doubts about this. Perhaps with BSI/IMG on board it could be done?

The former Soviet Union had some speedway tracks in her Asian Republics, for example the track were Sergey Darkin originally came from, Fergana in Uzbekhistan. There have been one or two speedway tracks in Kazakhstan as well. Kazahkstan now has ice racign at Almaty. And of course, Mongolia had ice speedway racing at Ulan Bator in the late 1960's until the mid 1980s. An attempt to get ice speedway racing started in North-eastern China was made a few years ago.

Thanks for the info and the links but has anyone heard anything specifically about speedway in Manila? I maybe more Australia orientated being closer so not sure whether similar sites exist for Australian speedway. Any ideas?