British Speedway Forum

we might have to be part of any agreement to take asylum seekers and non EU Migrants . personally I think if we leave to avoid being inundated by immigration .we should refuse any agreement on free movement .unless they would accpet a deal for the core countiries of Europe , spain italy frnace belgium holland and germany .

Personally, if we come out, I think we should treat all potential immigration the same, i.e. no one is accepted unless they meet certain criteria. It would be good if we could have virtual zero immigration for a period of time, to allow the current inflow to be absorbed. I accept we will need to allow certain people work permits, i.e. sports people and probably seasonal workers for the farmers and no doubt there will be other special situations. But, in my opinion, the top line should be virtual no immigration for a while.

• Like 1

The similarity to speedway, is that all the old farts want to go back to the good old days ?????, and all the younger fans are looking to the future and the benefits of being in the EU. Figure out yesterday 65% of over 50s want to leave the EU and 90% of below 30 s want to stay in EU.. Looks like as an old fart I am in the minority of my age group, I see and accept the advatages of remaining, but see the neccesity for change within it. The UK has in place a very adequate border system, we cannot leave the UK or return without producing a passport, so not really an open border.

It would be very helpful if people stuck to the specific problem of how a UK exit would affect speedway rather than peddle their own political bigotry which really has no place in a sports forum. I really have no interest in finding out those who believe everything they are spoon fed by the Daily Mail and Daily Express.

Regarding speedway, it will indeed restrict access to the UK labour market to non-UK citizens so a whole lot of work permits will be required, adding to the bureaucracy that we already face.

Some will be hoping for the return of a mythical 'golden age' when white, English-speaking people would have free access to the country and remove all obstacles to Aussie and Kiwi riders. That would take a labour agreement with the countries involved. Would they want free access by UK citizens, despite historic links?

Yes, it'll make it more difficult to hire Danes, Poles and Swedes to ride speedway and will open the gates to the huge pool of UK racing talent that is just waiting for its chance.

In sporting terms though we'll be on the outside looking in, having to constantly negotiate agreements instead of having such matters dealt with centrally.

It would, without doubt increase British Speedway's costs. Bureaucracy costs, whether you are in a free labour market or not. Can we sustain that?

It would be very helpful if people stuck to the specific problem of how a UK exit would affect speedway rather than peddle their own political bigotry which really has no place in a sports forum. I really have no interest in finding out those who believe everything they are spoon fed by the Daily Mail and Daily Express.

Regarding speedway, it will indeed restrict access to the UK labour market to non-UK citizens so a whole lot of work permits will be required, adding to the bureaucracy that we already face.

Some will be hoping for the return of a mythical 'golden age' when white, English-speaking people would have free access to the country and remove all obstacles to Aussie and Kiwi riders. That would take a labour agreement with the countries involved. Would they want free access by UK citizens, despite historic links?

Yes, it'll make it more difficult to hire Danes, Poles and Swedes to ride speedway and will open the gates to the huge pool of UK racing talent that is just waiting for its chance.

In sporting terms though we'll be on the outside looking in, having to constantly negotiate agreements instead of having such matters dealt with centrally.

It would, without doubt increase British Speedway's costs. Bureaucracy costs, whether you are in a free labour market or not. Can we sustain that?

Well if that isn't a 'political' post I don't know what is.

• Like 3

With reference to the red highlight - if that is a sarcastic comment, how do you know whether a number of British born riders are not being held back and not given a chance to flourish, due to being usurped by foreign riders? The National League is surely full of British born riders? It would then mean a return to only having foreign riders here who deserve to be here, based on true all round merit. I am not a football fan, but I am sure it would help football too.

• Like 2

With reference to the red highlight - if that is a sarcastic comment, how do you know whether a number of British born riders are not being held back and not given a chance to flourish, due to being usurped by foreign riders? The National League is surely full of British born riders? It would then mean a return to only having foreign riders here who deserve to be here, based on true all round merit. I am not a football fan, but I am sure it would help football too.

i firmly beleive they are being held back and i do hope if Brexit happens (which i dont beleive it will) GB riders will benefit

• Like 2

I think you have to ask what's to stop the British born riders being employed now? I actually agree that British speedway would benefit from employers riders wholeheartedly committed to racing in British meetings, but you only have to read the howls of 'watering the product down' that greets any suggestion, far less attempt at doing this.

And over on another thread, there's a discussion about bending over backwards to change race nights in some vainglorious attempt to bring the 'top boys' back.

I think you have to ask what's to stop the British born riders being employed now? I actually agree that British speedway would benefit from employers riders wholeheartedly committed to racing in British meetings, but you only have to read the howls of 'watering the product down' that greets any suggestion, far less attempt at doing this.

And over on another thread, there's a discussion about bending over backwards to change race nights in some vainglorious attempt to bring the 'top boys' back.

The answer, surely, is on the basis that promoters, if they can get it, want instant results, rather than nurture and grow a rider over time. Perhaps it could mean clubs building a team that supporters can recognise from one season to the next, which supporters have been asking for. Perhaps the product, for some supporters, would be watered down initially, but would thicken up, as time goes by.

• Like 1

Cannot see any problem with 'top boys' getting work permits it's those who are much lower down on the pecking order who could struggle.

• Like 1

Cannot see any problem with 'top boys' getting work permits it's those who are much lower down on the pecking order who could struggle.

On the one hand people say they want more British riders. On the other hand they want to see more of the 'top boys'.

How many of the 'top boys' are British?

The answer, surely, is on the basis that promoters, if they can get it, want instant results, rather than nurture and grow a rider over time.

I think the issue in the past, and possibly still now, is that local riders attracted transfer and loan fees whereas unsigned foreign riders didn't. That was entirely due to the lack of cooperation between the various leagues, and an old fashioned system of self-interest rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Perhaps it could mean clubs building a team that supporters can recognise from one season to the next, which supporters have been asking for.

That's a somewhat different issue and will not be solved until promoters are willing to change the current points limit system that's not only punitive towards teams finishing merely in the top half of the table, but encourages average manipulation and finding riders to come in on artificially low assessed riders. You can mandate all the British riders you like, but you still won't get any consistency under the current team building system.

Perhaps the product, for some supporters, would be watered down initially, but would thicken up, as time goes by.

Of course that would be the case, but it still doesn't stop the howls of outrage and supporters threatening to walk away from the sport. The decision to make of course is whether you'd expect to attract more new fans to replace those lost.

I think the issue in the past, and possibly still now, is that local riders attracted transfer and loan fees whereas unsigned foreign riders didn't. That was entirely due to the lack of cooperation between the various leagues, and an old fashioned system of self-interest rather than looking at the bigger picture.

That's a somewhat different issue and will not be solved until promoters are willing to change the current points limit system that's not only punitive towards teams finishing merely in the top half of the table, but encourages average manipulation and finding riders to come in on artificially low assessed riders. You can mandate all the British riders you like, but you still won't get any consistency under the current team building system.

Of course that would be the case, but it still doesn't stop the howls of outrage and supporters threatening to walk away from the sport. The decision to make of course is whether you'd expect to attract more new fans to replace those lost.

Perhaps if we left the EU it would create an opportunity for a watershed with reference to the above views?