British Speedway Forum

If the track had been prepared correctly and got to race they would have gone out. Woffy has tweeted that it was unsafe.

The track had already failed track inspections and one of the riders who practiced before tonight on it told Havelock that it wasn't great. Rumours had been going round that the track wasn't fit to ride yesterday so why do nothing.

The blame is with those at Belle Vue who shouldn't have let fans in tonight, knowing they had already had lots of problems with the track.

• Like 5

I haven't said what Belle Vue have done is OK at all. They deserve a great deal of criticism for the fact that the track was not ready.

However, the track was rideable. What you have said is what happened is entirely down to Belle Vue and that the riders are not to blame in the slightest when this could have gone ahead.

Simple truth is that a crap meeting would have been down to Belle Vue, but total abandonment is down to the riders.

Yet again ..Woffy has said the track was unsafe so it only matter of viewpoint that the track was rideable not that it matters ....the abandonment is down to Belle Vue as the meeting should been called off weeks ago ..it's not hard to follow the track was not ready .

Edited by orion

Cannot decide whether to be angry with the riders for at least giving it a go, or the promotion for taking the risk. However, no excuse for such a long wait before any information was given and for not being clear about refunds. People near me were asking what about my ticket, what do I do? Such a shame as everything else is so impressive. If some riders were prepared to have a go couldn't they at least have a couple of demonstration races?

• Like 1

But people paid good money for a good racing event - had I made the trip I would not have been happy with tootling round for the sake of it.

I agree. People go to watch racing not to see riders slowly go round just to get through 4 laps (if they are lucky) That's not a meeting.

• Like 6

One of the issues so many of us have with sport is getting heat 10 for a rain off. Just running heats for the sake of it is what kills the sport. Of the track isn't fit then racing should not happen.

Very true. But with the case of running meetings to heat 10, if the riders agree to contunue then it should carry on. With tonight fiasco it should never had got to the point where fans were allowed in.

Edited by Starman2006

But people paid good money for a good racing event - had I made the trip I would not have been happy with tootling round for the sake of it.

Totally agree. But better that than nothing at all., especially taking into account the importance of this meeting.

Yet again ..Woffy has said the track was unsafe so it only matter of viewpoint that the track was rideable not that it matters ....the abandonment is down to Belle Vue as the meeting should been called off weeks ago ..it's not hard to follow the track was not ready .

According to the above post, only 3 riders thought it was unsafe.

What will make it very clear is what comes out in the next few weeks about who was prepared to give it a go and who wasn't.

I'll make a more informed judgement then. No doubt you will continue to say - whatever comes out - that it is all down to Belle Vue.

• Like 2

From the practice it was clear to see the track was not perfect particularly on a small part on exiting turn four but most riders adjusted after a lap or two and chose to miss the soft spot. However, it probably should never have got to this point but as it did I felt the riders should have continued on what Chris Harris told the crowd was a rideable track!

Whoever you blame it was another very bad day for Speedway.

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 2

Totally agree. But better that than nothing at all., especially taking into account the importance of this meeting.

According to the above post, only 3 riders thought it was unsafe.

What will make it very clear is what comes out in the next few weeks about who was prepared to give it a go and who wasn't.

I'll make a more informed judgement then. No doubt you will continue to say - whatever comes out - that it is all down to Belle Vue.

I'm sure the people who paid 20 ,25 or 65 quid will prefer to have their money back rather than see a stage managed form of a demonstration meeting

• Like 3

Morton and Graham - you an absolute disgrace the pair of you for not having the testicles to admit defeat 2 days ago when you knew things were not good. British speedway fans are not the twats you think we are and will no doubt (hopefully) make you pay the price for taking mickey today. I drove up from Coventry, arranged a hotel overnight etc for what. you money grabbing B'stards Hope you sleep way tonight - although I reckon you will. shame on you !!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Morrissey Fan

I'm sure the people who paid 20 ,25 or 65 quid will prefer to have their money back rather than see a stage managed form of a demonstration meeting

Not Halifax he thinks it's ok to con the public.

Fair point Iris - we don't know what they thought although I for one would like to know.

From quotes from the track, though, Harris was spokesperson for the riders. Its reasonable to say that he represented a collective view.

Had this been a normal weekly meeting I would have completely agreed.

But it isn't. Its an opening meeting with 6,000 people at the track. This could have gone ahead - crap maybe, but it could.

The riders chose not to ride on a track that was rideable. The abandonment of the meeting was down to them.

Had it gone ahead, Belle Vue would rightly have been significantly criticised for the fact that it simply wasn't ready and the riders praised for the fact that they were willing to have a go.

I completely agree that it should have been a top class meeting, but the reason there was no meeting at all is not down to Belle Vue.

I wonder if this was the organisers' reason for letting folk in - we're aware the track is unraceable, but the riders are bound to give it a go with this many in watching.

• Like 2

I Think most people paid their money to be there on opening night , as they have with every new track that has opened in recent times , a decent race meeting would have been the icicng on the cake , but riders doing their best to put on a show would have sufficed for most ..

• Like 6

Its Warsaw 2015 all over again.

The track at Warsaw was cutting up but some riders proved it was not only rideable but raceable. But some disagreed and shouted the loudest.

But who were the riders who wanted that meeting stopped? I dont recall reading who was on the side for it to be stopped and who was for it to carry on.

Main difference between Warsaw and Belle Vue was the starting gate fiasco, and that should not have stopped the meeting cause the alternative light system was in the rules.

Of course its not good for a track to cut up, but I feel the riders have got to take a good look at themselves once again.

It was never going to be a classis meeting tonight, my previous posts have referred back to Bristol in 1977, the difference being the riders at Bristol put on a show for the supporters that have travelled, some many miles. Tonight if that track was rideable as Chris Harris said, the riders have let the fans down.

The track needs to be ridden, it is new, and has to be ridden to find the "weak" points so these can be worked on.

• Like 2

I was speaking to some people who live in the houses being the back straight.

They were very impressed with the acoustic barrier - they didn't hear a thing all night...

behind the back straight, I mean

• Like 4