British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Plymouth Remain Open!

Plymouth have always insisted that Fridays worked much better than Saturdays because that means most holidaymakers are approaching the end of their week or fortnight away if they fancied a night at the speedway rather than just settling into their hotel/caravan for the week after driving down the M5/A38 on Saturday morning.

However, back around 2009 or 2010 when a step up to the Premier League was first mooted for Plymouth, the northern clubs in that league were very keen to include a clause on the Devils that would force Plymouth to offer a few Thursday or Saturday home meetings to allow any northern clubs to do a Somerset/Plymouth tour.

For example, a Thursday track like Sheffield or Redcar would go to Somerset Friday and then Plymouth Saturday ... meanwhile, a Sunday track like Newcastle or Glasgow would go to Plymouth Thursday and then Somerset Friday.

(Somerset would always keep hold of their Fridays within the rule of "fixture seniority" between an established team and a newly-promoted team using the same usual home night.)

But any such "Thu/Sat-at-Plymouth" clause got lost in the chaos of speedway's 2010-11 "winter of discontent" when Coventry and Peterborough walked out of the BSPA-AGM and both King's Lynn and Birmingham moved up to the Elite League to ensure there would still be the minimum-required 8 Elite clubs to satisfy Gospeed's Sky deal even if Coventry and Peterborough couldn't be restored.

The knock-on effect of the step-ups for King's Lynn and Birmingham was the Premier League were far more welcoming than previously expected to Plymouth as an ideal way of replacing one of the two clubs they'd just lost.

As it turned out, Coventry and Peterborough did get back on board in time for the 2011 season so the Elite League ran with 10 clubs and Plymouth squeezed into the Premier League without having to fit their northern visitors into Thursdays or Saturdays.

• Like 2

Plymouth have always insisted that Fridays worked much better than Saturdays because that means most holidaymakers are approaching the end of their week or fortnight away if they fancied a night at the speedway rather than just settling into their hotel/caravan for the week after driving down the M5/A38 on Saturday morning.

However, back around 2009 or 2010 when a step up to the Premier League was first mooted for Plymouth, the northern clubs in that league were very keen to include a clause on the Devils that would force Plymouth to offer a few Thursday or Saturday home meetings to allow any northern clubs to do a Somerset/Plymouth tour.

For example, a Thursday track like Sheffield or Redcar would go to Somerset Friday and then Plymouth Saturday ... meanwhile, a Sunday track like Newcastle or Glasgow would go to Plymouth Thursday and then Somerset Friday.

(Somerset would always keep hold of their Fridays within the rule of "fixture seniority" between an established team and a newly-promoted team using the same usual home night.)

But any such "Thu/Sat-at-Plymouth" clause got lost in the chaos of speedway's 2010-11 "winter of discontent" when Coventry and Peterborough walked out of the BSPA-AGM and both King's Lynn and Birmingham moved up to the Elite League to ensure there would still be the minimum-required 8 Elite clubs to satisfy Gospeed's Sky deal even if Coventry and Peterborough couldn't be restored.

The knock-on effect of the step-ups for King's Lynn and Birmingham was the Premier League were far more welcoming than previously expected to Plymouth as an ideal way of replacing one of the two clubs they'd just lost.

As it turned out, Coventry and Peterborough did get back on board in time for the 2011 season so the Elite League ran with 10 clubs and Plymouth squeezed into the Premier League without having to fit their northern visitors into Thursdays or Saturdays.

As ever, very interesting insight. I do wonder if the traditional Saturday 'change-over' day for holidaymakers is still relevant? For budgetary reasons I've had to get to know various Devon holiday parks and that business is now extensively based around Friday to Monday and Monday to Friday breaks.

I also take frequent weekend breaks in Devon, staying over on the Saturday night. There's many a time I'd have enjoyed adding-in a trip to the SBA but the meeting had taken place the previous night.

I know these are only my experiences but I'd suggest I'm not unique. Given the remoteness of the track I'd suggest that anything that makes it easier for out of area fans to get down there and incorporate it in a weekend away as well as eliminating the clash with Somerset would be a positive move. Yes, there's 90 miles between but it's 90 miles on M5 and an A38 that's almost motorway standard with both tracks in sight of those roads. It's a 90 minute trip. In other parts of the world you'd be lucky to get across a conurbation like London, Manchester or Birmingham in that time.

I'd love top see a revived Plymouth Speedway running on Saturday nights and making the most of its assets - a great little track for enjoying a night out at speedway. Surely 700 people can be found in a city the size of Plymouth without relying on long-distance visitors?

Edited by rmc

Whilst it is extremely bad news and timing it has been announced there have to be some lessons / observations.

In summary:

• A loss of a sponsor
  • Average crowds surely give you a figure to work on and allow a budget to work with
  • Decide to plough ahead in the PL

Crowd numbers for opening night nowhere near the 800 needed, surprisingly, about the average. Now plainly obvious it wasn't going to work. With hindsight it is easy to say, however, those in charge of the finances had the single and only view needed, finance.

I don't know when the finances were known, nor when the sponsor was lost, however, the most obvious was, we are going to loose money. Time to rethink. Why wasn't the NL an option to cut the cloth accordingly?

It is about time, this great sport of ours, got its financial house in order before, it gets much worse. Gone are the days of mega bucks, riders may whinge, PJ revealed the true costs of engines the other week in the star, very simply, you can't pay more than you get in.

Is it time again for semi professionals and no stars? Speedway is simple yet it seems to be so complex. Look at the Eastbourne model for instance.

I shall miss going to Plymouth a couple of times a year and hope that it can be resurrected.

• Like 3

First everybody got paid on the night on Friday and I am told by one of the consortium members evetrybody will be paid for Rye House I think I ought to make it clear that I am not and never have been an official member of the consortium, I chose not to join because one member had dumped on me big time when I was running trelawny in 2002 and I did not wish to have the experience repeated. Plus the Catholic church school headmaster objected to me being part of it because I told a joke about 4 cardinals, thjis from a man who a few weeks later got sacked when he was caught with his trousers round his ankles IF I had joined seems it would have happened again, I have however sponsored various items at the track and helped out financially

THE MEETING REFERRED TO EARLIER I UNDERSTAND IS ON THURSDAY EVENING.

SPONSOR, not only lost for coming season but due to todger trouble only paid half of last years money and kept club on a string till mid feb

• Like 4

Very interesting - but at the same time, I can't see how that would of helped Plymouth survive. If anything, it would of made it worse for them to run on a Thursday and incur even more losses!

Interesting that the figures surrounding Barker have been made public. Why oh why did they go back and sign him for a second time if that's the case? Not to mention people like Mikkel Bech and Charlie Gjedde who were bound to cost a hefty sum of money. It stinks of poor management to willingly make something unviable.

• Like 1

A "Critical Meeting" is to be held at the Sir Joshua Reynolds public house at 7.30pm to discuss plans for the future of the Plymouth Devils.

Team manager Lee Trigger will be in attendance and hopefully at least one promoter. Supporters are urged to attend to discuss the possibilities and range of options available. BSPA have been informed of the meeting of which they will have a full report following the discussion.

Can I emphasise that this meeting is not an official PLYMOUTH DEVILS meeting but a meeting to discuss and propose effective rescue plans and viable sustainability.

Please attend if you can.

Sir Joshua Reynolds

The Ridgeway

Plympton

Plymouth

PL7 2AW

This meeting is to take place Thursday 24th, tomorrow night at 7.30pm. Sorry, didn't see the other post.

Edited by devils205

Saw the above post too late hence removed.

Edited by pitgate52
  • Like 1

Lets hope a saviour or rescue plan or sponsor can be found that sees Plymouth still able to take their place in the PL.

• Like 1

I have been to meetings like this where every man jack is invited and it turns out to be nothing but scrum with everyone having their say and no order being kept and all that happens is you go around in circles in danger of disappearing up your own orifice !!! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A STRONG CHAIRMAN and good points are not drowned out in the ensuing mayhem !!!

• Like 1

A "Critical Meeting" is to be held at the Sir Joshua Reynolds public house at 7.30pm to discuss plans for the future of the Plymouth Devils.

Team manager Lee Trigger will be in attendance and hopefully at least one promoter. Supporters are urged to attend to discuss the possibilities and range of options available. BSPA have been informed of the meeting of which they will have a full report following the discussion.

Can I emphasise that this meeting is not an official PLYMOUTH DEVILS meeting but a meeting to discuss and propose effective rescue plans and viable sustainability.

Please attend if you can.

Sir Joshua Reynolds

The Ridgeway

Plympton

Plymouth

PL7 2AW

this meeting will take place on Thursday 24th March

this meeting will take place on Thursday 24th March

Good luck at your meeting Thursday night no speedway supporters likes to see clubs folding. I just think it's a shame your management did not raise the financial problem they were having a little earlier, instead of riders left without a job and season ticket holders handing over there money then to be told the club would be folding seems very shabby. Just hope somehow you will be able to find a way to compete for the 2016 season and beyond. Again I wish good luck'

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear of Plymouths closure, only visited once when down there on holiday, but thought it was great. Right on top of the action and because it was a small area you were close to other fans which made a great atmosphere, something lacking at other tracks. Agree it seems strange to start with a challenge match in March if you wanted a big crowd.