British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hornsey

Lakeside V Leicester 1st April

Maybe Adam Ellis has a new engine this year, you see it all the time with riders getting a new engine and suddenly they are scoring a load of points.

Just remind us when you last saw Adam ride at Lakeside ( if ever )?

Initially it was in 2011 - when I had to check his two bikes over to ensure that they met conformance standards. I was quite a jobsworth.......ask Ed Kennett.

When Adam took to the track, I turned to the other Machine Examiner (Steve) and my words were, along the lines of, "the last time I saw a British rider on a bike handle it so competently was Mark Loram". If you doubt my words, head down to the pits pre-meeting, and ask Steve. He may remember.

And yet again, the point of your post was?

Anyway, any chance of seeing you at Beaumont Park tomorrow?

I assume not.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

Just looked at the scores on updates, Lions numbers 2, 3, 4 & 5 only mustered 6 points between them!!!!

Terrible efforts....

Well done guest rider Ellis, Lions Starke and Hougarred..

Just looked at the scores on updates, Lions numbers 2, 3, 4 & 5 only mustered 6 points between them!!!!

Terrible efforts....

Well done guest rider Ellis, Lions Starke and Hougarred..

Most concerning is Walasek and Wozniak for me. Walasek only completed 1 lap all night! Wozniak really needed to kick on for us this year but doesn't seem the same enthusiastic rider he was last season so far. Impressed with Paddy, still think he's out of his depth at number 1, but 9 points away from home, especially at a tricky track like Lakeside is an impressive haul

Any Lions fan care to comment on Walasek's performance?

I hardly think "performance " is the right word. He didn't complete four laps in the whole meeting let alone in a single race . Just dropped the clutch, did half a lap and pulled off the track, which is exactly what he did last year. Disgraceful.

I think some mention should be made of Patrick Hougaard and Paul Starke. Patrick again showed his liking for the track, and was the opposite of Walasek. Well done to him for putting on a decent show and springing a few surprises.

Paul Starke really surprised me. He seems to have really progressed since I last saw him. Decent starts and riding a good line, I felt he could have done a reasonable job as a second string in some teams.

As for Adam, his gating was just brilliant, especially in the first half of the meeting , but what was also noticeable was he was riding inside and outside lines instead of being stuck mid track like he was last year. Speedwáy is a confidence sport and he is riding high on confidence just now.

And yet again, the point of your post was?

I just wondered how you formed your expert opinion on the reason for his progress when you have hardly seen him ride in the last 4 years.

• Like 1

Most concerning is Walasek and Wozniak for me. Walasek only completed 1 lap all night! Wozniak really needed to kick on for us this year but doesn't seem the same enthusiastic rider he was last season so far. Impressed with Paddy, still think he's out of his depth at number 1, but 9 points away from home, especially at a tricky track like Lakeside is an impressive haul

Wozniak was less enthusiastic after a heavy landing in his first ride crash.

• Like 1

Maybe Adam Ellis has a new engine this year, you see it all the time with riders getting a new engine and suddenly they are scoring a load of points.

Adam has bought another Engine from Doyle but so far has only tried it out in pre season training once at Somerset. He's still got last years engines which are looked after by Dave Broome.

Adam has bought another Engine from Doyle but so far has only tried it out in pre season training once at Somerset. He's still got last years engines which are looked after by Dave Broome.

So you mean it might have been down to him making good starts and managing to stay on the right lines last night then?

So you mean it might have been down to him making good starts and managing to stay on the right lines last night then?

i put it down to another years experience, getting better year on year and being happy in his set up / situation. But that's just my opinion, you'd have to ask him. ( I wasn't there last night, hoping to be in uk for the U21 final)

• Like 1

Wozniak was less enthusiastic after a heavy landing in his first ride crash.

Quite agree. At least after that tumble he gave it a go but Walesek has never ever made an attempt to race on this tack.

When I was first introduced to Arena he rode for us (early 2000s) and remember asking my mate if he reckoned this rider would ever finish a race. He was like a fish out of water.

For a 5.0 riders have to ride under race conditions. He reached the back straight in his first ride and just dropped the clutch in the remaining two.

My dissappointment at Adam Ellis' transformation changed to admiration that a young Brit had made an effort to conquer a deficiency compared to an import rider who after all this time decided not to bother.

Not a Lions fan but he put in similar performances for poole at Lakeside years ago.

One could predict with utmost certainty Mr.Walasek is not exactly a fan of the Arena track

• Like 1

i put it down to another years experience, getting better year on year and being happy in his set up / situation. But that's just my opinion, you'd have to ask him. ( I wasn't there last night, hoping to be in uk for the U21 final)

I asked him before the meeting last night. His answer is that he doesn't really know why, it's just that everything seemed to click. I suppose like a lot of things in life people work and work at something then one day it suddenly falls into place.

Great to know Adam Ellis is doing so well after last year with us--a really nice guy and deserves his success

He is a really nice guy. Nothing too dislike about him. What you see is what you get with Adam, but he gets a bit frustrated with some of the things said about him by people who don't know the facts.

• Like 3