British Speedway Forum
george.m

Glasgow V Edinburgh - League Cup 3pm, 3rd April

Worried not at all. Only the first match a few boys under performed big deal. we will still be there or there about come end of the season.

Is that revolving door still in the home dressing room then?

• Like 1

Well done Glasgow, has to be said they were thoroughly deserving of their win today and on the evidence of today are contenders however it was really difficult to really judge anyone on that performance. There were big gaps between levels of riders but apart from no 1 glasgow were better but very early days

Dan and Max were just not up to it today and never looked like beating a tiger, it will be a big challenge for Max to try to be competitive on away tracks this year and a tough debut for Dan but he'll have opportunities to come

Jye got himself in points scoring positions a couple of times and showed signs of getting points but ended up with nothing. Will be disappointed but loads of time for this lad

Nike, Fernando and Danny all made hey against their opposite numbers and put real pressure on Jye when they were behind and looked really good. However apart from heat 1 never looked like beating any of the monarchs top 4 (erik passed garcia very easily in the only other race they were ahead). If I was a tiger i'd be happy with that as if they beat their opposite numbers Glasgow will be the team to beat but no real opposition today.

Erik and Ryan did the basics and it was an acceptable first away meeting no silly dropped points against reserves but only impact on the weeg top 4 was ryan in heat 13 before his puncture and then ben barker dropping a chain in 14 and gifting erik a win.

Kevin and Richard will both think they should have done better but got all they deserved.

Richie, Ben and Aaron all (chain excluded) only lost to Sam Masters, really solid and will be a tough top 3 to beat

Sam Masters, a class above them all only Aaron was getting near him, only the graveyard gate 1 stopped him getting a deserved max. Cookie's are big boots to fill but I'm pretty confident he can fill them. Big question for Monarchs is who will step up and fill his role.

• Like 1

Sam Masters, a class above them all only Aaron was getting near him, only the graveyard gate 1 stopped him getting a deserved max. Cookie's are big boots to fill but I'm pretty confident he can fill them. Big question for Monarchs is who will step up and fill his role.

Nike Lunna looked to have Masters well beaten in the original running of heat 1 before Etheridge fell off.

• Like 1

So everyone is putting this result down to Edinburgh's first match but if you add up who many meetings each rider has raced in 2016 I think you will find the Edinburgh have had more meetings that the Glasgow ones.

ok

lawson 6 (1 individual, 1 for Glasgow, 4 for Lakeside)

lunna 1 (1 for glasgow)

worrall 4 (2 individual, 1 for glasgow, 1 for BV)

barker 3 (2 individual, 1 for glasgow)

summers 1 (1 for glasgow)

garcia 1 (1 for glasgow)

ayres 5 (1 individual, 2 for kent, 1 for glasgow, 1 for coventry EL)

Total 21

masters 1 (1 for wolves)

etheridge 0

wolbert 1 (1 individual in Germany)

riss 0

fisher 0

clegg 2 (1 for cradley, 1 for wolves)

bewley 1 (1 for Belle Vue Colts)

Total 5

Just to clear that up, it's not even close (21-5) then

• 4 Glasgow riders with at least 2 meetings to edinburghs 1
  • 1 Glasgow rider with as many meetings as the entire edinburgh team
  • How many practice sessions have Glasgow had on their own track
  • 40% (2 of 5) of Edinburghs in the NL vs 9.5% for glasgow (2 of 21)
  • 1 edinburgh rider with his 1st meeting in europe
  • 1 edinburgh rider in only his 2nd meeting ever.

Not putting this up as an excuse just an answer to the question above. It's up to Edinburgh and their riders to organise more meetings and be better prepared (I am sure they have had practice sessions and there have been a couple of rain offs) but given the stats above I think the performances today can be put into perspective. Everyone talks about the spring trophy being meaningless and too many matches against each other but normally edinburgh would have 2 challenges before a competitive match and they will need to find a way to address this next year.

Edited by scotchopper
  • Like 5

ok

lawson 6 (1 individual, 1 for Glasgow, 4 for Lakeside)

lunna 1 (1 for glasgow)

worrall 4 (2 individual, 1 for glasgow, 1 for BV)

barker 3 (2 individual, 1 for glasgow)

summers 1 (1 for glasgow)

garcia 1 (1 for glasgow)

ayres 5 (1 individual, 2 for eastbourne, 1 for glasgow, 1 for coventry EL)

Total 21

masters 1 (1 for wolves)

etheridge 0

wolbert 1 (1 individual in Germany)

riss 0

fisher 0

clegg 2 (1 for cradley, 1 for wolves)

bewley 1 (1 for Belle Vue Colts)

Total 5

Just to clear that up, it's not even close (21-5) then

• 4 Glasgow riders with at least 2 meetings to edinburghs 1
  • 1 Glasgow rider with as many meetings as the entire edinburgh team
  • How many practice sessions have Glasgow had on their own track
  • 40% (2 of 5) of Edinburghs in the NL vs 9.5% for glasgow (2 of 21)
  • 1 edinburgh rider with his 1st meeting in europe
  • 1 edinburgh rider in only his 2nd meeting ever.

Not putting this up as an excuse just an answer to the question above. It's up to Edinburgh and their riders to organise more meetings and be better prepared (I am sure they have had practice sessions and there have been a couple of rain offs) but given the stats above I think the performances today can be put into perspective. Everyone talks about the spring trophy being meaningless and too many matches against each other but normally edinburgh would have 2 challenges before a competitive match and they will need to find a way to address this next year.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, excellent research and emphasises what a shame that Friday was rained off . one wee point and I hope you don't think i'm nit picking but since you've gone to so much trouble Danny Ayres hasn't ridden and doesn't ride for eastbourne

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to do this, excellent research and emphasises what a shame that Friday was rained off . one wee point and I hope you don't think i'm nit picking but since you've gone to so much trouble Danny Ayres hasn't ridden and doesn't ride for eastbourne

Doh, good spot Kent not eastbourne. 2 matches were against eastbourne

Edited by scotchopper
  • Like 1

Wolbert had ridden in two individuals in Germany (Ludwigslust 19/3 (15) & Gustrow 26/3 (12)) btw.

Overall, result was slightly better than I expected for us, mainly because of Smiler's magnificent performance.

Would also give Kevin pass marks, particularly when driving past Lawson in ht 10.

After a couple of tentative outings on his UK debut, Jye was on the pace in his last two races, so hopefully will progress further, once he becomes more familiar with the PL.

Erik & Ryan were less competitive than I expected and Max did not appear too keen to mix it with the opposition when briefly in front of them.

It might take Dan some time before he starts to score points but he is certainly worth persevering with long term.

Tigers were well worth their 19 pt win, with Ayres looking a good and entertaining no.7.

However I think it's a bit premature to bring the trumpets out yet on the basis of a single home league cup match where Tigers bottom three had an easy time outscoring their Monarchs counterparts 17 - 2.

Given the loss of the best opening pairing in the 2015 PL, realistically a middle to lower table finish in the PL, should be our expectation as things stand.

Finally plaudits to Glasgow on providing a decent racing strip, despite the heavy rain that had apparently fallen on Saturday and Sunday morning.

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 2

Still confused how Monarchs fans think that was a decent performance! My team got beat at home by Scunthorpe no excuses its worrying for that to happen so a 20 point beating has to be a concern. Unless they make changes Edinburgh won't be in the play offs with that 1-7. Masters won't be dominant every week. As I sayd you replace Cook and Sedgeman and Branford with a has been in Fisher, an untried Aussie in Etheridge and a kid at reserve then you can't expect to be near the top of the league.

Worried not at all. Only the first match a few boys under performed big deal. we will still be there or there about come end of the season.

Looking at the line up of other PL teams, I think there are a few that look much stronger this year. I think without changes this side will struggle.

I think if no injuries then Glasgow have to be one of the favourites this year. Strong throughout.

Edited by mdmc82

I don't understand how people are righting us of after our first match of the season away to what is a good Glasgow side. We had someone who rode his first ever meeting in this country and another riding only his second ever meeting. Don't know what people were expecting.

• Like 2

Still confused how Monarchs fans think that was a decent performance! My team got beat at home by Scunthorpe no excuses its worrying for that to happen so a 20 point beating has to be a concern. Unless they make changes Edinburgh won't be in the play offs with that 1-7. Masters won't be dominant every week. As I sayd you replace Cook and Sedgeman and Branford with a has been in Fisher, an untried Aussie in Etheridge and a kid at reserve then you can't expect to be near the top of the league.

Masters aside I don't think anyone thinks it was a good performance, even decent is stretching it but there were signs of potential which is what you are after in your first meeting. so no need to hit the panic button and there is a big difference between losing at home to scunny vs losing away to Glasgow.

There are lots of twists and turns between now and when the trophies are handed out and they are still potentially only 1 point away at Berwick from qualifying for the lcup semi. It feels unlikely today but stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

A very solid performance from Glasgow right through from 1 to 7, The long tail mentioned by many during the winter doesn't look too bad although tougher opposition and away matches will give us more of an idea, great atmosphere in the stadium yesterday and Glasgow were well up for it right from the start, special mention to Nike Lunna who was beating Sam Masters with ease in heat one before Jye Etheridge came to grief causing a re run,

Edinburgh will no doubt say they will get better as the season goes on which I'm sure they will, whether that will be enough to challenge the top teams remains to be seen,

Glasgow don't have another fixture until they visit Edinburgh a week on Friday where they will no doubt have a large travelling support compared to what must be the smallest support Edinburgh have ever took to Ashfield, a mixture of strained relationships between the clubs or do they only travel in large numbers when they think they have a chance of winning.

As I say there will be tougher meetings ahead so we shouldn't get too carried away but a very very promising start from the stripes.

• Like 4

Finally plaudits to Glasgow on providing a decent racing strip, despite the heavy rain that had apparently fallen on Saturday and Sunday morning.

Just in case people missed it :o

• Like 1

I don't understand how people are righting us of after our first match of the season away to what is a good Glasgow side. We had someone who rode his first ever meeting in this country and another riding only his second ever meeting. Don't know what people were expecting.

There expecting a team that scores maximums every meeting,i for one would love to see all these "experts" line up and have a go,

dead easy to sit at home watching updates and write a report on riders performances.Support your team be it good or poor none of these riders travel to a meeting wanting to have a bad one...

All based on a sample size of 1 as justification for your prediction.