British Speedway Forum
damosuzuki

Matt Ford - No Sympathy

But people don't moan about it at the right times. Poole break rules and nobody seems to care, thats why people should be moaning and getting something done. But Poole build a good team because other promoters are thick, stupid, slow (or whatever) and people get up in arms about it. The issue there is not with Ford but with the other 7 EL promoters who allowed it to happen.

But people don't moan about it at the right times. Poole break rules and nobody seems to care, thats why people should be moaning and getting something done. But Poole build a good team because other promoters are thick, stupid, slow (or whatever) and people get up in arms about it. The issue there is not with Ford but with the other 7 EL promoters who allowed it to happen.

I agree with you. In fact I'm almost as frustrated with the other promoters for rolling over all the time.

Perhaps though, the other promotions just throw their arms in the air after years of back and forth whining.

It's easy to type this but I'd like to think that I'd be more robust in this area should I ever become a promoter.

I agree with you. In fact I'm almost as frustrated with the other promoters for rolling over all the time.

Perhaps though, the other promotions just throw their arms in the air after years of back and forth whining.

It's easy to type this but I'd like to think that I'd be more robust in this area should I ever become a promoter.

If they all voted against him then he wouldn't get things he wanted, would he? Surely pretty simple?

If they all voted against him then he wouldn't get things he wanted, would he? Surely pretty simple?

Well I'm not so sure it is in fact, that simple. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs but something must be amiss. The bad feeling hasn't spawned just out of jealousy surely?

This is purely my observation and I admire your defense of your team, much like I would defend my own.

So tell me this then...........why is it when Poole allegedly break the rules all hell breaks loose yet its acceptable for other clubs to do it................

Poole use the rules to their best advantage rather than break them..............other clubs could do but do not appear to............we can put out a good team year after year and people still complain even when they have done nothing wrong...........

I think Matt is right in the sense that ALL promoters have the same level playing field to start with.............some take more advantage of what they can do than others who just sit on their backside expecting the world to come to them.......other teams could have come in with offers for any of the riders we signed this year but did not............

Having one league will never work...........it did not before and will not now..........what is needed is for the BSPA to start thinking in the here and now and not live in the past as they seem to.............

RP

Well I'm not so sure it is in fact, that simple. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs but something must be amiss. The bad feeling hasn't spawned just out of jealousy surely?

This is purely my observation and I admire your defense of your team, much like I would defend my own.

If you talked to Starman it would be out of jealousy ;)

But I don't get why others don't vote against Matt. Maybe he makes certain deals with them, in a 'i stratch your back, you scratch mine' sort of way? Purely guessing.

So tell me this then...........why is it when Poole allegedly break the rules all hell breaks loose yet its acceptable for other clubs to do it................

Like when? No other team has got a list of cheating as long as Poole, in fact every other team combined is not as long as Poole. Also, when other teams do break the rules it tends to be forgotten about quicker because the vast majority of fans accept it happened and it was wrong. Yet Poole cheat and the Poole fans come out with crap like "jealous" and "hater" and "wouldn't care if it was another team".

Poole use the rules to their best advantage rather than break them..............other clubs could do but do not appear to............we can put out a good team year after year and people still complain even when they have done nothing wrong...........

Poole are TERRIBLE for breaking rules. Always have been. I tell you what, you name a time any EL team other than Poole broke the rules and I'll give you a time Poole did.

I Don't like Matt Ford but the others need to raise there game and try to match him ...no good feeling sorry for yourself ...each year they let him bring a set of rules that allowed Poole a massive advantage over the other teams who's fault is that ? ...a lot of speedway problems are that people fell sorry for themselves and want and charity ..there is no reason a club of the lions size should not be able to match poole if it was run right and there are other clubs who could do the same .

I hate Ford for a lot of things has done but at the same time he ran his club his club well and always understood what his public have wanted .

• Like 2

Teams need to be ahead of the game such as when The Aces signed Jason Lyons on a low average after a year way from the club - oh wait a minute the rules were re written to stop that.

There was a time when The Aces didn't break any rule but stretched the spirit somewhat when they had team members missing for a tough match. They postponed the fixture to give themselves the edge next time which showed some sharp thinking to put them ahead of the rest - oh actually don't use this one either as we ended up being fined and losing match points.

It's not as easy as it looks being ahead of the game. For some anyway.

• Like 1

Someone must have broken the rules last year... :D

<cough>Goggles<cough> :rofl:

I meant knowingly ;) - by a promoter.

I dont think most of them are capable of knowingly breaking rules. That would mean them knowing the rules and not being useless.

He's always one step ahead of everyone else. He's made Poole into a well run team, before he came, it was a also ran premier league team at best. Promoters should be learning from him and beat him at his own game. In SCB's words... "if they were clever enough".

It hurts a lot to say this, but Poole have got their business model right, they seem to plan thoughtfully each year to ensure they are competitive the next, so in that respect more power to their elbow! - Without Poole's standards, I suspect the Elite League if its possible would be even weaker than it is at present, in other words they drive up standards. They have a knack of signing "racers" not just "riders", however where I part company from them, is when they bend and manipulate the rules to suit themselves, we should not expect even the weakest of promotions of other tracks to participate in what is almost cheating with rider averages etc.

If I lived in Poole I would definitely attend each week as they put out an attractive team, and surely this has to be the bottom line.

I know top riders don't want to commit to riding in the UK in any numbers, but the product on offer generally in the Elite is sub-standard, I reckon 4 teams are painfully weak and the play-off contenders will be decided really early this year, I agree with Mick Horton that we have a league of 1 and a league of 7 teams, but this in my opinion is the fault of the 7 not totally Poole, as much as it annoys me to say so.

• Like 1

I agree with Mick Horton that we have a league of 1 and a league of 7 teams, but this in my opinion is the fault of the 7 not totally Poole, as much as it annoys me to say so.

I agree with you ..the others only have themeselfs to blame ..one for letting Poole and Ford set the rules that somehow always suit them every year and two how the way they run there clubs .