British Speedway Forum
damosuzuki

Matt Ford - No Sympathy

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14406415.Speedway__Ford_has__no_sympathy__for_clubs_that_fail_to_compete/

While I understand his desire to win, surely he realises that he needs teams to compete to have a succesful Poole team. Do Poole need the other clubs in the EL, or should Poole just adopt a harlem globetrotters role and avoid the riff raff ?

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14406415.Speedway__Ford_has__no_sympathy__for_clubs_that_fail_to_compete/

While I understand his desire to win, surely he realises that he needs teams to compete to have a succesful Poole team. Do Poole need the other clubs in the EL, or should Poole just adopt a harlem globetrotters role and avoid the riff raff ?

He's right, many promotions have made a rod for there own backs.. Your slow picking this up, it was in the Echo on Wednesday.. A bit like some of the other promotions, a bit slow... :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

I realised it hadn't been posted here and wondered what people thought. I'm glad for ANY Speedway team to be succesful but think Ford comes over as conceited. And dresses like a used Merc salesman.

His biggest advantage is wednesday nights.

His biggest advantage is wednesday nights.

Why ? Thats always been our race night appart from a tuesday many many years ago...

Yep, I have no problem with what Matt has said because he's RIGHT.

• Like 3

Once Glasgow clear up at Premier league level we will go after Poole lol, Ford is ahead of the game every year when it comes to team building , his statement is pretty strong, though a little bit arrogant, best promoter in British speedway IMO .

Is it good for them to dominate every year, yes if your a Poole fan but not great for the rest. With only 8 teams in the EL it's a little bit boring now, with a new tv deal around the corner wouldn't it be great to see a new super league set up with maybe 12 teams with 4 of the PL biggies joining forces on a level playing field in 2016, You can't argue with his newspaper interview , it's maybe time other promoters/ team managers to unearth the gems he does on an annual basis

• Like 2

I've long argued for an amalgamation of the leagues but when you read an interview like this you really don't want the Poole promotion anywhere near the Premier League.

There may be one set of rules but success doesn't come from following those rules but by manipulation of them, stretching them to breaking point and ensuring that there is always a fresh supply of riders on suspiciously false averages who miraculously blossom back to their known form when they arrive in Dorset. The accuracy of the heat leader and fast track reserve lists have been rightly called into question and, amazingly their errors have favoured Poole.

So, having twisted the sport, within its poorly thought-out and expressed, often contradictory rule book Ford then adds to the insult by coming up with this sanctimonious claptrap.

You may operate within the letter of the rules but not their spirit. The ruthlessness is killing speedway and to try to dress it up as an achievement for others to follow is an insult to sport, natural justice and anyone who has a genuine love of the sport, and not just whether their team is winning.

When Ford finally kills off the Elite League perhaps he can put Poole in the Ekstraliga and leave us to enjoy a uncontaminated sport of our own, on a lower but worthwhile and more enjoyable level?

Don't worry. I'm sure Matt Ford has no intention of riding in your beloved Premier League in front of 500 fans.

What do you suggest? Poole deliberately picking a weak side to give the others a chance?

If the promoters are daft enough to have a system that gives riders of heatleader quality an average akin to a second string then don't be surprised if the most successful side snaps them up.

As for the heatleader list, my guess is he analysed the list, looked for the best rider that wasn't on it, and signed him too.

Your anti-EL rants are always entertaining but invariably well wide of the mark.

• Like 6

I realised it hadn't been posted here and wondered what people thought. I'm glad for ANY Speedway team to be succesful but think Ford comes over as conceited. And dresses like a used Merc salesman.

He dresses that way for Starman.

Matt is a great business man, shame he can not show a little bit of good will and compassion towards ALL of the other clubs, because without them he would not have a business.

Let's see the promotors show good will and compassion by dropping entry cost to £10 ……… after all, they're only businessmen.

come on …. Let's feel the love ?

You can all bitch and moan but he's right this time.

The way I see Poole is how I see a footballer who dives.

In time the footballer cuts out most of the diving but still gets a rough ride from the ref and fans alike whenever he goes down.

The footballer has created a reputation for himself so that every little issue comes under the microscope.

The problems fans of other clubs have with Poole are not without foundation I'm afraid.

The way I see Poole is how I see a footballer who dives.

In time the footballer cuts out most of the diving but still gets a rough ride from the ref and fans alike whenever he goes down.

The footballer has created a reputation for himself so that every little issue comes under the microscope.

The problems fans of other clubs have with Poole are not without foundation I'm afraid.

But people don't moan about it at the right times. Poole break rules and nobody seems to care, thats why people should be moaning and getting something done. But Poole build a good team because other promoters are thick, stupid, slow (or whatever) and people get up in arms about it. The issue there is not with Ford but with the other 7 EL promoters who allowed it to happen.