British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LunnasPerm

Boring

Wow...you really have lost the plot. It's unbelievable how you write posts with such authority saying someone is wrong, when you clearly haven't understood a word that's been written.

I'm writing in plain English, trying to make it simple for you, and still you don't understand.

There is no evidence that proves me wrong to what I have said...maybe to what you think...but not to what I have written.

I've not said racing is less exciting because of a small crowd...I've said atmosphere is improved when there is good racing. If there is good racing, then crowds return. Put good racing and crowds together and yes, you get a better atmosphere.

How much more simpler can I write it....not being funny, but you are either on a wind up, or not able to understand plain English when it's written.

Like someone else said...I find you the most infuriating and obnoxious person on this forum...you should take up Politics.

No you have lost the plot and you're becoming tiresome.

Racing IS less exciting when there is a small crowd. That is 100% bona fide fact.

Racing IS more exciting when there is a large crowd. Again, that is 100% bona fide fact.

If you're not adult enough to understand basic things, don't debate.

Folk enjoyed the Wembley World Finals because there was an incredible atmosphere, regardless of the racing. Good races were a bonus.

Folk enjoy Cardiff because of the atmosphere, regardless of the racing. Again good races are a bonus.

The same calibre of meeting in front of a sparse crowd, most would find it boring.

It really isn't a difficult concept to grasp but you steadfastly refuse too because you still have this incorrect belief that racing was so much better in the past. Unfortunately for you there is evidence quite to the contrary that can now be viewed across various media forms.

It won't stop you banging on though and trying to re-invent history.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Racing IS less exciting when there is a small crowd. That is 100% bona fide fact.

Racing IS more exciting when there is a large crowd. Again, that is 100% bona fide fact.

Folk enjoyed the Wembley World Finals because there was an incredible atmosphere, regardless of the racing. Good races were a bonus.

Folk enjoy Cardiff because of the atmosphere, regardless of the racing. Again good races are a bonus.

The same calibre of meeting in front of a sparse crowd, most would find it boring.

It really isn't a difficult concept to grasp but you steadfastly refuse too because you still have this incorrect belief that racing was so much better in the past. Unfortunately for you there is evidence quite to the contrary that can now be viewed across various media forms.

You've admitted yourself on here that racing was much better in the past at Monmore than it is currently !

You've admitted yourself on here that racing was much better in the past at Monmore than it is currently !

In certain seasons.. but 2009 is still pretty recent in the context of this discussion.

The racing in the early 90's which my head tells me was unbelievable, because all I remember is Sam etc... upon rewatching as I've said many times, is full of very strung out races.

Edited by BWitcher

Didn't Graham Hambly travel up from Plymouth after announcing at the football in the afternoon to make Swindon for the evening?

Are we talking about the 70's here? If so I've always remembered the announcer at Swindon for getting involved with the fans but didn't know what his name was.

I have a vast collection of DVDs from the 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s and matches are variable during that entire period. The camera work often leaves a lot to be desired (often not catching the action at the back) and although enjoying them from a nostalgic point of view it's the atmosphere that's missing - although listening to the soft tones of Dave Hammond over the PA does help bring it back to me!

Love David Hammond's voice. He is at Coventry now of course but if you want to hear him again you'd better visit this season before we close down.

buster wanted suggestions, hes got one!

This has got to be a good idea hasn't it? I know Buster has said he's confident of getting a league sponsor for next year but if it fails, this has got to be the way to go, IF they are interested of course!
  • Like 1

I give up... you are wrong...FACT...because you can't read and can't comprehend posts written by other people.

Read the damn posts properly.

The Evidence is quiet clear for everyone to see...what I am talking about is completely different to what you are trying to imply.

It's like having a conversation with someone from another planet.

It's like saying if 50,000 people were stood around watching paint drying, then it would be exciting. 'Ooooh lets all get excited...the paints drying really fast...look there's even a drip...come on the drip!'

It's the racing that makes it exciting...not the amount of people there.

Whether you've got 50,000 or 500...people aren't going to get excited if the racing is rubbish. Now do you understand?

Or do you really believe it's really the size of the crowd that makes a sport exciting, regardless of what going on the track/pitch?

Those people in attendance need to get excited about something.

How you can't understand that is beyond me.

Tiresome you say...kinnel... nail on head...seriously get off the meds or whatever you're taking, no one can seriously be this stupid can they?

• Like 1

What constituted a good night out to the speedway for me was watching two evenly balanced teams (local derbies against Swindon & Reading were always competitive) battle it out on a good race surface (we were lucky during the early Nielsen years at Cowley as the track surface was prepared second to none). The noise and smell and although never a great fan of Peter York he did create atmosphere. A vociferous visiting crowd (coaches used to travel around the country in those days) who gave one a good opportunity to interact with and surrounded by locals on my favoured third bend who I got to know over many years whereby we would discuss tactics etc.

I'm sure that there are those who would disagree but I always felt that Oxford produced first class, close racing and was the perfect shape to allow calculated manoeuvres by those riders with the ability to use heir heads.

And, hopefully, rounded off with a home win! What was it they used to say? 'Happiness is 40-38!'

I used to travel extensively around the country in those days and there was nothing better than pulling off a last heat decider to send one home happy!

• Like 1

What constituted a good night out to the speedway for me was watching two evenly balanced teams (local derbies against Swindon & Reading were always competitive) battle it out on a good race surface (we were lucky during the early Nielsen years at Cowley as the track surface was prepared second to none). The noise and smell and although never a great fan of Peter York he did create atmosphere. A vociferous visiting crowd (coaches used to travel around the country in those days) who gave one a good opportunity to interact with and surrounded by locals on my favoured third bend who I got to know over many years whereby we would discuss tactics etc.

I'm sure that there are those who would disagree but I always felt that Oxford produced first class, close racing and was the perfect shape to allow calculated manoeuvres by those riders with the ability to use heir heads.

And, hopefully, rounded off with a home win! What was it they used to say? 'Happiness is 40-38!'

I used to travel extensively around the country in those days and there was nothing better than pulling off a last heat decider to send one home happy!

I used to enjoy my visits to Cowley when following Swindon...like you say, the crowd for the derbies was always good.

The racing was always good and that made for a vociferous crowd and lots of banter :-)

Used to love watching Leigh Adams and Andrew Silver give it all against your boys...good times :-)

Funnily Bend 3 was always my favoured position at the Abbey...you'd get to see them fly into the corner and see them calculating their next moves...plus any goings on behind the pits. Unfortunately it's too damn cold and windy on bend 3 at Somerset...which is a shame.

• Like 1

I only went to Cowley a couple of times when I happened to be working in the area, way back in the early 2000s, but it did produce some excellent racing.

I think it was around 2001 when Leigh Adams, Brian Andersen, Todd Wiltshire and the Dryml brothers were there. That side was one of the first British teams to wear matching race suits, bright purple numbers, if I'm not mistaken.

Cowley was a great stadium for speedway. The grand stand looked excellent, the dogs scoreboard added a bit of character, the go kart track in the middle was something different and even the little tunnel between the track and the pits was a novelty. It's a huge shame that there's no longer racing there.

• Like 2

I must admit Steve was never a fan of Cowley but when it was prepared god i see some brilliant racing there.To see Hans/Wiggy there everyweek was a treat,i went everyweek for about a three year period and enjoyed every minute of it.Looking back Steve how far ahead of the times were Oxford when that lovely restaurant/bar was built makes you want to cry when you look how the stadium is now.If i had money i would love to get Oxford back on track great fans great banter and i still hope in my lifetime it happens.

Are we talking about the 70's here? If so I've always remembered the announcer at Swindon for getting involved with the fans but didn't know what his name was.

Love David Hammond's voice. He is at Coventry now of course but if you want to hear him again you'd better visit this season before we close down.

"Gemini" i know Graham Guthrie was announcer until his death in 1974, he really was a great announcer.Sure John Sutton took over after and i think Graham Hambly took over in 1980 in the Wally Mawdesely era i think that is correct.Chalky, ER, Grachan, Downsman will put me right if i am incorrect !! Graham Hambly is a legend in my eyes still at Plymouth I believe? a proper speedway man.
  • Like 1

I must admit Steve was never a fan of Cowley but when it was prepared god i see some brilliant racing there.To see Hans/Wiggy there everyweek was a treat,i went everyweek for about a three year period and enjoyed every minute of it.Looking back Steve how far ahead of the times were Oxford when that lovely restaurant/bar was built makes you want to cry when you look how the stadium is now.If i had money i would love to get Oxford back on track great fans great banter and i still hope in my lifetime it happens.

"Gemini" i know Graham Guthrie was announcer until his death in 1974, he really was a great announcer.Sure John Sutton took over after and i think Graham Hambly took over in 1980 in the Wally Mawdesely era i think that is correct.Chalky, ER, Grachan, Downsman will put me right if i am incorrect !! Graham Hambly is a legend in my eyes still at Plymouth I believe? a proper speedway man.

Cowley was one of my favourite tracks/stadiums to visit. Everything about it seemed just right. Good view, compact, good track and right size imo...plus the most important thing, generally well prepared that gave good racing. It also came across as very professional and polished.

Hans really had an aura about him there. That 1989 team were fantastic...nearly all Brits...Wigg, Dugard and Cox...how exciting were they to watch around Cowley.

Funnily my favourite memory of Simon Wigg was when he was a young en at Weymouth racing with Martin Yeates.

• Like 1

Ah it would be Graham Guthrie then ~ I just couldn't remember his name. I used to love going over to Oxford when the Bees were riding there and like you say 'bend 3' was the place to stand. Sadly at some point (can't recall the year) dogs were banned so that was the end of my visits as I didn't fancy the trip over from Leicester on my own.

The very first meeting I went to at Swindon was Swindon v Wolves in 1974, and it was announced that Graham Guthrie had died. He was named in the programme as anouncer for that meeting, but I never got to hear him announce.

I also remember Bert Harrison announcing at Swindon in the 1980s.

Yes when I last took a peak at Sandy Lane on one of my visits back to Oxford the stadium was looking very sorry for itself! Criminal really.

Used to play snooker there...remember Nigel De'Ath and Per Sorensen enjoying a game next to me on one particular occasion!

I used to enjoy my visits to Cowley when following Swindon...like you say, the crowd for the derbies was always good.

The racing was always good and that made for a vociferous crowd and lots of banter :-)

Used to love watching Leigh Adams and Andrew Silver give it all against your boys...good times :-)

Funnily Bend 3 was always my favoured position at the Abbey...you'd get to see them fly into the corner and see them calculating their next moves...plus any goings on behind the pits. Unfortunately it's too damn cold and windy on bend 3 at Somerset...which is a shame.

Just got me thinking how one would watch racing from different places depending on which track! Swindon I used to stand on the home straight. Coventry on the first bend. Reading the back straight and so it goes on. I guess that each track offered differing viewpoints whereas at Wolves, if I recall, you didn't have much choice other than to stand on the home straight!

• Like 1

Cowley was one of my favourite tracks/stadiums to visit. Everything about it seemed just right. Good view, compact, good track and right size imo...plus the most important thing, generally well prepared that gave good racing. It also came across as very professional and polished.

Hans really had an aura about him there. That 1989 team were fantastic...nearly all Brits...Wigg, Dugard and Cox...how exciting were they to watch around Cowley.

Funnily my favourite memory of Simon Wigg was when he was a young en at Weymouth racing with Martin Yeates.

Remember seeing Wiggy in the 1982 British final when he was a NL rider some feat then Yeatsey did it later.Remember the 82 BF well went to support Malc Holloway that year he had a mare and remember Mike Lee being eliminated at that stage as well.

Ah it would be Graham Guthrie then ~ I just couldn't remember his name. I used to love going over to Oxford when the Bees were riding there and like you say 'bend 3' was the place to stand. Sadly at some point (can't recall the year) dogs were banned so that was the end of my visits as I didn't fancy the trip over from Leicester on my own.

Cant believe that the announcer would leave a lasting impression "Gemini" , Graham did and Mr York ? 😥always made the build up exciting did Graham he was excellent at his job. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1