British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LunnasPerm

Boring

There is one simple and inexpensive way to improve racing--let the riders practice before the start of a meeting instead of having to second guess their set up.

Totally agree with that, certainly worth a try .....

• Like 1

There is one simple and inexpensive way to improve racing--let the riders practice before the start of a meeting instead of having to second guess their set up.

They do that in the Bundesliga,and you know what,we still get good and bad heats and good and bad meetings........not saying it wouldn't make a difference,but not a great one from what I have seen

I think speedway is more boring now than it was 20 years ago. There are no riders that the fans love to hate no atmosphere and I can't remember the last really good meeting I've seen. I have seen some good races but you don't get many in a meeting.

• Like 2

I think speedway is more boring now than it was 20 years ago. There are no riders that the fans love to hate no atmosphere and I can't remember the last really good meeting I've seen. I have seen some good races but you don't get many in a meeting.

Just as its always been then, apart from the odd few.

As I've said many times on threads of this nature, if I just simply think back to the 1990's my brain tells me speedway was far better.. the racing was brilliant etc etc so I can totally see why people think that way.

However, I have ALL of those meetings I attended on DVD and when I sit and watch them I soon find out that the racing wasn't what I remember. Sure there are some good races, but punctuated by many strung out ones. Back then I didn't care, I was younger, watching my heroes and if my team was winning all was good.

You're all older, that's always a problem, older and less enthusiastic hahaha

I Don't think the racing is any more boring than it was 20 years ago, I haven't been to a speedway meeting since Newport Closed, been Attending since 1964, it quickly became my equivalent of a night out at the pub /club . met up weekly with ( our gang ) and all the banter that goes with it. when Tim Stone re-introduced speedway, most of us met up again at our new club, the racing ,it was there some good some bad some breathtaking, it never seemed to matter,I find watching speedway as a neutral boring

The constant rebuilding of teams every season doesn't exactly help people to identify with a team as in the 'good old days' but I suppose the other side of the coin is that riders are familiar with a lot more tracks hence the less predictable results we see nowadays.IMHO speedway's main problem is one of image.I've always believed that given a professional makeover by someone from outwith the sport--even change the name god forbid--speedway could be easily as popular as the mainstream sports.But of course there is the question of both the entrenched attitudes and (some of) the stadia!!!

Edited by poppetman

For me, the biggest factor that has made speedway more boring is all tracks are super slick. This then allows for less mistakes from the rider's which they'd prefer.

For the fan's, mistakes allow for overtaking thus creating a better atmosphere. Whether that be to your teams advantage or disadvantaged.

Another is Speedway's refusal to absorb modern technology. Instead they're rapping on the knuckles & banning it.

• Like 3

We want them to be making mistakes don't we ...... NOT!

We want them to be making mistakes don't we ...... NOT!

I'm not so sure about that.

With the tracks now seemingly being a lot slicker than they used to be (for whatever reason), it's getting to be the rider with the best engine wins. A lot of the skill has been taken away from the rider (though credit to them all as I think it's a brave and skilful thing to do) and many can't seem to handle a deep track. At the under 21 at Leicester a couple of years ago, the top of the track had to be taken off to allow the youngsters a chance to race. Until then, there were plenty of mistakes but a few got stuck in and showed their ability to ride in the dirt. (maybe it's a setup thing?)

Formula 1 is now looking at putting the emphasis back on the driver to make his input just as important as that of the car he's driving. Hopefully the better drivers will move to the front because of their ability, not just because they're in the best car.

At Leicester last Wednesday, the racing was very strung out until the latter heats. Glynn has come on here and explained why the track was prepared the way it was (thanks Glynn) and that the racing improved due the dirt building up on the outside. I agree with Danny Smith above, put more dirt on and see what happens.

• Like 1

An incorrect observation.

The difference between top riders and bottom end riders is less now than it was in the 'glory years'.

Why is it an incorrect observation? Do you have any statistics to prove your opinion that the difference is less now? For example, how many Reserves beat Heat Leaders in, say, 1976, compared to 2016?

Until you can prove an opinion with stats, it remains an opinion and not a fact, as you well know.

Do you really believe that if you shout louder than the other person, you are right and they will give in and agree with you? Stoke Potter has as much right to his opinion as you do.

• Like 3

I'm not so sure about that.

With the tracks now seemingly being a lot slicker than they used to be (for whatever reason), it's getting to be the rider with the best engine wins. A lot of the skill has been taken away from the rider (though credit to them all as I think it's a brave and skilful thing to do) and many can't seem to handle a deep track. At the under 21 at Leicester a couple of years ago, the top of the track had to be taken off to allow the youngsters a chance to race. Until then, there were plenty of mistakes but a few got stuck in and showed their ability to ride in the dirt. (maybe it's a setup thing?)

Formula 1 is now looking at putting the emphasis back on the driver to make his input just as important as that of the car he's driving. Hopefully the better drivers will move to the front because of their ability, not just because they're in the best car.

At Leicester last Wednesday, the racing was very strung out until the latter heats. Glynn has come on here and explained why the track was prepared the way it was (thanks Glynn) and that the racing improved due the dirt building up on the outside. I agree with Danny Smith above, put more dirt on and see what happens.

I don't want to see riders making mistakes I want to see them being able to take different lines to race one another, if that means putting more material on the tracks then why don't the promoters do it? Cost, moaning bloody fans cos a deep track takes more grading? I haven't seen a rider do a proper cut back at Lynn for ages, I dunno if that's the bikes, riders or the track?

i think league racing is quite boring, quite often...next time you stand on the terrace just look around at massive empty spaces, no atmosphere, and count how many races that evening are follow the leader. if your team wins, you probably notice less. id say

gp"s and world cup certainly isn't boring. 4 riders throwing it about and a bit of passion. watch harris reaction after a gp race win

he punch the air, slap his petrol tank, it means more, and if it means more passion and atmosphere is automatic as it rubs off into the crowds

i think league racing is quite boring, quite often...next time you stand on the terrace just look around at massive empty spaces, no atmosphere, and count how many races that evening are follow the leader. if your team wins, you probably notice less. id say

gp"s and world cup certainly isn't boring. 4 riders throwing it about and a bit of passion. watch harris reaction after a gp race win

he punch the air, slap his petrol tank, it means more, and if it means more passion and atmosphere is automatic as it rubs off into the crowds

Of course it means a lot to the riders, it's the pinnacle of their careers, adds to my disgust that IMG own the rights to our sport 😕

A few years ago D Norris went from the pit to the startline with 1 finger in the air to the crowd at Kings Lynn. The crowd hated him but he created an atmosphere. Shane Parker once walked the track and shook fans hands after the meeting at Lynn. He also stole the tractor at Ipswich to grade his start position. Speedway needs people like them so fans have something to remember from there night out even if the racing is poor it gives them something to talk about. No controversy means a quite crowd. A quite crowd means no atmosphere. The riders could do more to get fans involved but it seems riders are only interested in their pay cheque.

• Like 4