British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Leicester Lions V Kings Lynn Stars, Sat 23rd April 2016 @ 19:30

Speedibee needs to go to specsavers!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 2

I've only just returned home after spending the weekend in Rutland.

On Saturday I took myself along to watch this meeting, and have to say that I thought it was an extremely good meeting, with lots of passing.

If this meeting was anything to go by, then I'm amazed when I read David Hemsley's column in the programme, where he says that crowds have stabilised this season at an ALARMINGLY LOW LEVEL.

If the racing is like what we saw on Saturday, every meeting, then it's hard to understand why attendances are dropping off, and what these stay-away people expect from a race meeting.

How you get them back, I really don't know, because every time I go to Leicester, the racing is no worse than any other venue, so it's a mystery.

I've said before (last season), you've got a super venue there, that provides excellent viewing, no matter where you are positioned. I'm yet to see a race meeting that is any worse than other venue I visit, and I included my own club in that, and I just hope that somehow, those stay away folk can be persuaded to return.

You went for years without a club following the closure of Blackbird Road, so PLEASE don't let that situation arise again.

Your product is good, it just needs you stay away people to realise and accept that. I know I'm eagerly awaiting my next couple of visits later in the summer.

I have to say that the video of the race on the BSPA site seems to show a very good race with passing.

........mimmo..........If this meeting was anything to go by, then I'm amazed when I read David Hemsley's column in the programme, where he says that crowds have stabilised this season at an ALARMINGLY LOW LEVEL.

If the racing is like what we saw on Saturday, every meeting, then it's hard to understand why attendances are dropping off, and what these stay-away people expect from a race meeting.

I didn't buy a programme so haven't read the comments but I can understand why fans have gradually dropped off since the track opened because the racing has been very much 'gate and go' with little passing. People will only stand this for so long before getting fed up. My husband went to every match for 3 years but not at all last season. I went occasionally once the dog ban was lifted half way through 2015 and for the first time this season on Saturday to see 2 friends from Kings Lynn. Must say I was very impressed though as the racing was first class ~ whether this is because of two evenly balanced teams or the fact bend 3/4 has been widened I don't know but it was enough to get me interested again so I'll be back.

.....Honey Monster....... I doubt a certain person who still moans about the track, has ever sat on a speedway bike.

For heaven's sake don't start him off about his "brilliant" speedway career. :P

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Didn't go at the weekend so don't know what DH said. However from my point of view a price increase with weak justification and an inadequate top 5 will see me pick and choose meetings, probably when it is warmer. I went down to Lakeside and it was awful.

I cannot recall a sport where a price increase doesn't affect attendances.

I would also say that this show DH's stance that he will lose 1/3 of his gate should he put on midweek fixtures is inaccurate and that he would rather put a non competitive Saturday side out. This season we had a real chance with our reserves to put a side together to challenge. Whilst there are a few ifs and ands, I rather watch a competitive side during midweek with Jason Doyle at 1 for £18.

I went instead to the basketball, play off quarter final and it cost £11. A minority sport not too dissimilar to speedway. However in Leicester it is marketed well, website is not from the early 80's, in the local media a whole lot more than speedway and I would consider that there are a number of lessons that DH could learn from the Riders management.

• Like 1

According to the notes I made there was overtaking in at least 8 heats (after the first two bends) on Saturday, with 4 overtakes coming out of bend 4 on the last lap and the run in to the finish. I am not surprised that DH has issued a profits warning. The attendance against Swindon was abysmal and a lot lower than last season at the other two matches I have been to. Up until this season the grandstand has been full by the time I have got to the track at about 10 past seven. Now its only about three quarters full all night. You can also get an idea of how many fans are there by the amount in the 50:50 draw. In the Supporters Club Accounts for last season the sum collected was way down on the previous year and is even lower so far this season. In my view the track alterations and the improvement in the racing are only part of the solution to the attendance problem - fans want to see a team of triers and one that is going to win most of their home matches. At the moment we are at least one rider short of a picnic and I can see Walasek returning to the team if he gets some decent scores in Poland.

So far I have not been able to get to any meetings, due to my toe playing me up again, I now have another large hole underneath my toe and sitting out in the cold is just to painful, It was even worse last year even when it got warmer. It looks like we missed a good nights racing on Saturday, it looks like it will be a few weeks before my toe heals up enough for me to venture out again so My grandson and I can get to watch the Lions.

It is now getting very boring having this same complaint evry year, this year was the first time since the track opened that I never even got to come to practice day.

I may be wrong but I think there will be some team changes made very shrtly, from what folks have been saying about Mrs H's out burst on Saturday night, but they only have themselves to blame in the team they chose for this season.

i think one of the changes that's been made already is certainly a positive one, and missing Aaron Summers on Saturday definitely made a difference

Speedibee needs to go to specsavers!

I've already been . but sadly on the day I went they were all out of rose tinted , so I had to have ones that can only see reality

Didn't go at the weekend so don't know what DH said. However from my point of view a price increase with weak justification and an inadequate top 5 will see me pick and choose meetings, probably when it is warmer. I went down to Lakeside and it was awful.

I cannot recall a sport where a price increase doesn't affect attendances.

I would also say that this show DH's stance that he will lose 1/3 of his gate should he put on midweek fixtures is inaccurate and that he would rather put a non competitive Saturday side out. This season we had a real chance with our reserves to put a side together to challenge. Whilst there are a few ifs and ands, I rather watch a competitive side during midweek with Jason Doyle at 1 for £18.

I went instead to the basketball, play off quarter final and it cost £11. A minority sport not too dissimilar to speedway. However in Leicester it is marketed well, website is not from the early 80's, in the local media a whole lot more than speedway and I would consider that there are a number of lessons that DH could learn from the Riders management.

how much does it cost to get a basketball and some trainers serviced every 30 minutes , and of course I bet the shorts and vests they wear cost a bloody fortune , only to be expected that they will charge £11 when they have fly players in and out to be able to field a competitive team . and of course ,with it being a game involving a ball and running around .they wont get any help with rents from the council or grants from the sports council , must be hard balancing the books of a netball team . when you consider all their costs and the lack of any outside finance .

• Like 1