British Speedway Forum
remembertheracers

Alarmingly Low Crowds

People bother because they want change and I think it's evident that it needs change.

Someone hit the nail on the head, in another topic I believe, when they stated that if British speedway continued on it's current path, then in ten years, domestic speedway won't be around.

The falling crowds and yet the constant burial of heads in the sand reminds me of a recent article I read on Nokia; they were happy with what they had, failed to progress, adapt or change to combat dwindling numbers and now, they face extinction.

Unless a fuss is made at fan level, nothing will change.

I hate, sorry despise people who prettily attempt to correct people. Especially when their input is wrong. Your input isn't just wrong, it's irrelevant.

Nokia's CEO cried at a press conference late last year when discussing their technological status in comparison to Apple, Google, etc. They didn't move and they lost. They missed out on billions because, whilst they didn't do anything wrong, they didn't do anything at all; move, adapt, adjust, etc.

Your link is in regards to Nokia delving into the digital health market; nothing more than an acquisition at this point. While Apple dominate and continue to pioneer, Nokia's failings have forced them into this.

if you are going to criticise people for getting facts wrong, it would pay to get your own facts right first..

Yes, Nokia did fail to adapt and lost huge chunks of market share, but to say they are the verge of extinction is patently false.

They've delivered 10+bn euro of revenue at industry leading profitability levels the last three years. "The Scotsman" points out one acquisition, but surely the major one was the $17bn acquisition of Alcatel Lucent earlier this year.

As for your comment about the CEO crying at a press conference last year - Nokia sold it's handset business to Microsoft in 2013, so why on earth would CEO Rajeev Suri, who has overseen the highly successful transformation of the networks business, be crying about technological status in comparision to Apple in 2015? LAst time I looked, Apple weren't competing with Nokia as a networks company?

FWIW, Nokia would have been a reasonable example to use of a company failing to adapt, but you then tried to embellish by adding "facts" which are patently untrue.

• Like 1

Certaintly no alarmingly low crowds at Perry Barr this season, another really good crowd watched the two unbeaten teams in the Nl maintain there unbeaten starts to the season. Seeing the Brummies in past seasons race in front of much poorer crowds in a higher league , I know just what impact consistent poor crowds can have regarding the existence of your club. Its why having gone through it, where the Brummies are at the moment is the right place for seasons to come

It is interesting that Brummies failed at EL and PL level in recent seasons and appear to have found NL attracts there best crowds.Think that tells you something regarding watching the same riders in your Team most weeks.IMO. Plus not paying overrated foreign rider more money that what they are worth.
  • Like 3

Sorry, pal, but you're getting your nickers in a twist over nothing. Or, maybe you're just jumping to the defence of an e-friend, considering that discussion has been dragged-up from over a week ago.

Ten years ago, Nokia were a market leader in mobile phone manufacturing. Now, they're not. That's because, in their own words, they "failed to foresee rapid changes in the mobile phone industry".

By extinction, I was referring to that industry. I'm sure they're successful elsewhere and in other arms of the business, but in mobile phone terms, they're a lost cause.

What a waste of my time, having to explain that.

in the mobile phone world they're not a lost cause... they exited that business 3 years ago. So they are either extinct (in that business) or thriving (in their new focus).., not on the verge of extinction?

and your comment about the CEO crying last year...?

Its all relative though, isn't it..?

How many do the Brummies get to watch them in the National League nowadays?

300 / 400 / 500 / 700?

300 / 400 / 500 / 700?

As long as it is enough to pay its way - that is all that matters. Some people are obsessed with crowd figures but unless you know the whole picture about rent, riders' wages, sponsorship and commercial income then it gives no real idea about the viability of a club.

At some clubs 50 people through the turnstiles brings the same income as 10 people in corporate hospitality.

• Like 1

300 / 400 / 500 / 700?

It is ,income v expenditure is what it is all about .
  • Like 2

Well so far this season I've visited Leicester, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Peterborough and Plymouth and the crowds visually haven't been great anywhere and the crowd last Friday at Plymouth was the lowest I've seen for a Sheffield meeting there. All quite worrying really and hope it picks up at those tracks during the summer.

A bit more positively though, considering how vast Owlerton is, the Sheffield crowds have been fairly solid, by no means near what the club had in the 1980s and before but far far better than a couple of years back.

Edited by Tigerite

in the mobile phone world they're not a lost cause... they exited that business 3 years ago. So they are either extinct (in that business) or thriving (in their new focus).., not on the verge of extinction?

and your comment about the CEO crying last year...?

Yes, the mobile phone world, hence the references to Apple and Google.

Regarding Nokia's CEO breaking down, here's an article on the subject; https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nokia-ceo-ended-his-speech-saying-we-didnt-do-anything-ziyad-jawabra

Apology accepted.

The falling crowds and yet the constant burial of heads in the sand reminds me of a recent article I read on Nokia; they were happy with what they had, failed to progress, adapt or change to combat dwindling numbers and now, they face extinction.

Unless a fuss is made at fan level, nothing will change.

Regarding Nokia's CEO breaking down, here's an article on the subject; https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nokia-ceo-ended-his-speech-saying-we-didnt-do-anything-ziyad-jawabra

Apology accepted.

The only apology should be from yourself.

You made no reference to the 'mobile phone world' on your original post, as quoted above, that was rightfully questioned.

You simply said, Nokia had failed to adapt and now faced extinction.

Others correctly pointed out to you that was incorrect and Nokia do not face extinction.

You have since attempted to clarify your original point, which is fine, but your insinuations that others were wrong to question you is off the mark.

So, we've established that Nokia are responsible for poor crowds at speedway.........

• Like 5

So, we've established that Nokia are responsible for poor crowds at speedway.........

Unreal isn't it...glad you said it. It's surprising how many on here get joy from analysing other peoples posts, nit pick, be pedantic, and just want to keep telling others they are wrong all the time.

• Like 3

Apology accepted.

That picture is not the Nokia ceo in 2015. Nokia sold the handset business in 2013. Looks like someone wrote an article in 2015 based on events from 2013. If you are going to cite a source, make sure it is credible.

Also, note that I already agreed that Nokia is a good example of a business which failed to adapt.

I have not read through all the posts but perhaps all the clubs could have a trial run in August where they charge £10 per adult and Children up to the age of 16 £1.00 and instead of a programme a score sheet for 50p and try and run meetings swiftly where as soon as a race finishes, the riders for the next race are ready to come onto the track. Have a 15 minute interval after heat 10 followed by four heats of 125/250 c c riders and then the grand finale of four heats followed by a public vote for the riders in heat 15. A bit different but something needs to change or it will be amateur speedway in years to come. Try and avoid the Polish aspect of fast bikes at all cots to win races and aim to bring skill and entertainment back into the equation as well as making it fun to watch. One can but hope.

That picture is not the Nokia ceo in 2015. Nokia sold the handset business in 2013. Looks like someone wrote an article in 2015 based on events from 2013. If you are going to cite a source, make sure it is credible.

Also, note that I already agreed that Nokia is a good example of a business which failed to adapt.

I don't care who the photo is of, neither do I care which year it happend. The point still remains, said point which, in your last line, you agree with.

What a total waste of time this discussion has been.

• Like 1