British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

How Far Do You Have To Travel?

My weekly fix is always at Coventry so about 21 miles from Leicester ~ a quick wiz up the M69 and I can get there in about 20 minutes as long as Lucy is hanging on safely. It takes me about the same time to get to Leicester which is 8 miles away. My favourite track is Peterborough though and I try to get to all their Sunday meetings even though I absolutely hate the journey as I have to go from one side of Leicester to the other to pick up the A47. I did all three last weekend. :)

• Like 1

It is 48 miles to my nearest track (Rye House) and then 58 to the next nearest (Swindon).

I don't really mind where I travel and my attendance is usually based on the weather and likelihood of a meeting being on so last week it was Poole (110 miles) on Wednesday, Ipswich (116 miles) on Saturday and a foreign trip on Sunday!

This week if the weather is ok it will probably be Ipswich (116 miles) on Thursday and Somerset (136 miles) on Friday.

• Like 1

Living in York (and working within the Tourism Industry myself) I have never heard locals discuss or talk about speedway. I guess that because York has never had a speedway (a meeting did take place down the road at Green Hammerton during the early eighties) nobody is aware of the sport despite Sheffield having run for many years. However when I talk to visitors to York the number of people that say that they used to go to speedway but no longer do is interesting.

Many years ago I remember seeing Eastbourne Speedway posters around Brighton but that might have something to do with the Dugard Family living in Hove I believe.

I live in York and do not have a car. Sheffield would be the nearest track making a round trip of 4 buses and 2 trains. taking around 4 hours in total. The cost of travel plus entrance and programme is too much for me, as would be getting home at midnight.

• Like 1

my nearest track is Kings Lynn, 30 mins away straight up the A17, then the other one I go to is Peterborough 45 minutes away

I live in York and do not have a car. Sheffield would be the nearest track making a round trip of 4 buses and 2 trains. taking around 4 hours in total. The cost of travel plus entrance and programme is too much for me, as would be getting home at midnight.

Im Moving to York soon also so you can grab a lift :-)

• Like 3

Living in Kent it takes about 30 minutes to Kent Kings.

It should be roughly the same to Lakeside but usually on a Friday takes about 1.5 to 2 hours ???????

There are direct trains to Sheffield from York. Maybe tricky getting back mind, but there are v late services Leeds to York so I'm sure it's doable

Distance from track about 10 miles.

One of the troubles with Swindon is that anyone who does not have a car finds it very difficult to to the track. There are a couple of buses that run past the stadium before the meeting but none after. When I started going to the track they had special buses before and after the meeting.

Edited by A ORLOV

Crumbs! At this rate there will be a need to have a speedway in York!

• Like 1

Go by train not by car so probably further than these in all instances but, 71 miles to the Brummies, 45 miles to my nearest track (Coventry).

16 miles from Walthamstow to Rye House. About 45mins on the bike or about an hour by train. Arena-Essex is the same distance but doesn't appeal as much as it used to in the 80s & 90s when I was a regular there travelling from Barking. Happy to visit any track, apart from Poole, if it fits in with other travel plans. Did a thousand mile weekend to take in the youth round at Glasgow but sometimes it's cheaper by public transport as is this week's trip to Sheffield and Donington Park and "home" in time for Monday's double header.

Nearest track is a 45minute drive,but only has 3 meetings a year.For more I have to either drive 75 minutes to a track that hosts 2 meetings or I am driving 2 hours to the next tracks,one of which is in a different country :o:P

Crumbs! At this rate there will be a need to have a speedway in York!

The grass car track on the A59 would be ideal.

Thanks for the offer :t:

• Like 1

I had hoped Halifax Tiger would respond to this, because I guess Chris is travelling 8-10000 miles per year to watch speedway?

During a season I will travel from Uttoxeter to Buxton regularly (until last meeting!), Sheffield frequently, Scunthorpe often, Mildenhall sometimes, Leicester possibly, Coventry reluctantly, Plymouth once, Birmingham once, Wolves once, Kings Lynn once and Stoke never, ever, ever under any circumstances whatsoever.

• Like 1

I don't really support any particular club to be honest, I just pick my meetings. But always go to a minimum of 4 meetings a week average mileage per week is around 500 miles