British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Craig Cook Signs For Peterboro' In Prem League (double Downer)

Teams drop brits for foreigners ten a penny, so the outcry now about the brits is a bit hypocritical imo, but its still a sh!te decision none the less.

Edited by Arson fire

He's an EL heatleader.

EL heatleaders do not belong in the lower league.

You are right in theory , but the bottom line is that he has to earn a living, otherwise he won't be riding in any league for very long.

Having said that, there are riders of lesser ability than Craig who seem to get by with jobs in Poland and no PL , Max Fricke being an example of one. This is not a criticism of Craig, but I just wonder how some manage it and some don't. It is tough in Poland though, they are expected to turn up for practice etc and then don't get paid if they are not picked for the team.

• Like 1

So it's the rules that are wrong then!

Ellis is an EL heatleader now & he doesn't ride in the PL but NDL(2 leagues lower)

In Poland, therefore, this shows up where the squad system has faults

• Like 2

Teams drop brits for foreigners ten a penny, so the outcry now about the brits is a bit hypocritical imo, but its still a sh!te decision none the less.

You're right, but that's in that clubs interest to do that.

The issue here is that the BSPA have decided that interest, that is 100% wrong when Cooks move to the PL is legitimate

• Like 1

You're right, but that's in that clubs interest to do that.

The issue here is that the BSPA have decided that interest, that is 100% wrong when Cooks move to the PL is legitimate

I agree
  • Like 1

He's an EL heatleader.

EL heatleaders do not belong in the lower league.

Grajczonek, Wright, King, Lambert, Summers.....

And the best one is that Summers signed after the season started and has an average over 6 so how is that different?

I'm guessing this is the beginning of the end for Chapman. It's been a truly terrible rein as chairman. Whereas before there was a kind of benign incompetence Chapman has been able to squeeze in a full years worth of poor decisions into just two months.

Missing out on loan payments for the Dane was bad enough but the potential of The Aces benefiting was too much to take and led to this shocking outcome. I feel for young Craig I really do.

Keith Chapman you are an utter disgrace.

• Like 3

I'm not aware of facts, but, for me, no rider on the EL heatleader list should be eligible to ride in the PL.

I'm making an assumption here that none do and that Cook is on it.

Danny King

I'd like to know which part "isn't in the best interests of British speedway". Cook riding for Peterborough, or Cook riding in the PL?

Would also question if Woffinden's decision not to ride in the British Final, or the sport being run by a group who don't want to allow a British rider to have a place in a British team "is in the best interests of British speedway."

Grajczonek, Wright, King, Lambert, Summers.....

And the best one is that Summers signed after the season started and has an average over 6 so how is that different?

If any of those were on the heatleader list then I don't feel they should be in the PL either, apart from Lambert maybe who is still effectively a bit of a young newcomer.

All the 'interests' rule is for is when someone spots an opportunity within the other rules but certain members of the BSPA believe it's against their self interest and use it, with the connivance of their peers on the management committee, to put the blocks on, It's either that or the rulebook shot full of holes through imcompetence and 'interests' is needed to put a stop to something that they hadn't thought about before the season started. Or maybe even both.

• Like 2

After speaking to Craig at Workington recently when he was so worried about finances, I fear this block could sicken him to the point of calling it a day...... How can that be in the best interest of British Speedway????

If anyone is interested in supporting Craig, there is an ipetition started:- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/CraigCookSpeedway

Sorry I can't make that into a link - hope someone else can, thanks

We are all behind you Craig, best of luck!!!

Edited by Gr8scot
  • Like 1

Absolutely ridiculous. He has an actual PL average for god sake. Imagine next season when Brits have over inflated EL averages, will they not be allowed either?? Funny how Ellis move back into the NL wasn't stopped, which is pretty much the same situation!

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

The link does work. 576 signatures already.

It really is pathetic to see the further reasons given by the BSPA for their decision. Belle Vue and Peterborough are both Friday tracks, there are 3 clashes, we had many more than that when Cook was a d/u last year. Belle Vue had no authority to give permission for Peterborough to talk to him, obviously both clubs thought that was within the rules, as did many on here, perhaps there's been a late addition to the rule book. In any event that could soon be remedied unless Edinburgh are objecting to the move. Strange that isn't mentioned though if they are.

All in all, Chapman has been in office for 6 months, his promised openness and transparency seems to have been put on the back burner and this decision tells us more about support for British riders than any useless rhetoric.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

The football comparison is completely ridiculous for 101 reasons, the main one being football has a pool of players to pick from in the millions whereas British Speedway teams are lucky if they have a pool of hundreds to pick from.

However, the maths show me that every league is now heavily weighted in favour of riders who want to regularly race speedway meetings in this country, and that’s a good thing, that is what the majority of fans want. It is a trend that will continue as the rule is a seed that needs to be grown and progressed correctly.

There is a far clearer pathway for British riders and that has now evolved into a way to enhance the number of meetings British based riders can race (good it is a British league after all) which in theory will see them progress, get better and enable them to become “EL riders” or “PL riders” rather than the collection of riders over the years from the continent who were mediocre and selective in their appearances here.

To my mind the DU/D down rule is in place to increase the number of riders who are committed to racing in this country (and is in the process of achieving that) and to fill the void left from top stars who have chosen to walk away. The trend re the number of Young British riders continues today with the majority of reserve spots in the EL and PL being packed with British kids, many of whom are progressing and will become regulars in this country, some would have anyway but this rule has increased the chances of more riders doing it.

The FTR/Double Up system is one of the few long term plans that is currently in place, when it comes to fruition it will reduce the number of meetings featuring R/R and guests (in theory) as there will be a far larger number of home grown riders racing here. If it continues as it has and riders progress as a result of it and become EL second strings/PL second strings it further increase the chances of other young Brits stepping into the EL reserve spots and PL reserve spots.

Fans ask for long term, this plan is long term, not ideals but still the entire premise of the rule is completely missed by some, go through the league, do the actual math, take away riders who DU/Double Down and work out where the 20+ riders who are going to fill that void are coming from, or where the money is coming from to fill the cash vacuum left behind due to the demand left to sign riders to fill a 1-7 let alone compete.

I do need to ask again, what riders have been left out of a job, or retired as a result of the system? Without tangible evidence that just feels like a complete and utter false opposition, as the only riders I can see who have been left on the side line are guys like Bager, Palovaraa, Rasmus Jensen etc, guys being signed as replacements, who with the best will in the world are hardly going to define the future of British Speedway.

Re your 10 years’ time point, in 10 years’ time British Speedway will have removed the majority of dead wood from the continent and replaced them with home grown local riders who will likely be representing their region in the North/South league if it was to split in two, that league would then be supplemented with selected talent from the continent who want to commit to Britain in the way the likes of Holder, Pijper, Lindgren or Summers have.. but hey it is 10 years you can right whatever narrative you like, there is so much water to pass under the bridge anything could happen, they might be going round the tracks on vespa hybrids for all I know.

Sorry is this a broadcast on behalf of the BSPA FTR is just to save money TODAY and will do nothing for the sport except haste it's demise !!!!