British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Ipswich V Edinburgh Pl 19-5-16 @ 7-30pm

We all expected heat 2 to be stopped second time around and Clegg excluded as he already had a warning, the same as heat 15 we expected it to be rerun. The ref was poor all night so the flyers equalled out.

I thought at the time that Danny laid it down in the first running of heat 15 but if Fisher rode the track instead of the other riders and left some racing room Danny wouldn't have had to. Fisher is such a dirty rider and is going to seriously hurt someone if he carries on with this type of riding.

John Campbell was not very bitter in his report stating most teams will win here. We have won 3 out of 5 at home even with the team misfiring.

Edited by Bash

Wow, pretty unprofessional, scathing personal attack on Danny King from this Campbell bloke.

• Like 1

Not sure what was unprofessional or personal, he stated an opinion that in the first running Danny laid it down because he had been beaten to first corner and thought the witches had a better chance in a rerun than catching and passing the monarchs, even if it was just risager in the race. It is the sort of move that happens in speedway maybe not all the time but often enough and normally provokes the same reaction from the opposition manager. I wasn't there so can't comment on this specific instance but I have seen a few witches fans on social media say that he should have been excluded and was at it. Ref gave him the benefit of the doubt and he took full advantage in the rerun.

In terms of decisions evening themselves out you are forgetting heat 10 when kerr fell and was excluded wolbert was away and king won the rerun, so you got 2 decisions in ht15 and 1 in heat 10 and we had 1 in ht2. Not even but sometimes it goes for you sometimes against but you don't have to like it.

As for Fisher many of his detractors talk about one day he will give someone a bad one, well he has been racing for well over 10 years now........ he has had a few in the opposite direction, e.g. last week when Barker took him out but he was laughing about it in the pits with Ben after apparently. There is no doubt he is a hard rider and can be ruthless but he is also a super talented motorcyclist who goes for and pulls off moves other riders wouldn't even dream about. and news flash you don't get any points for beating the track. He is fantastic to watch and to follow, at Workington the other week when he was chasing down the opposition he gave his bike a massive slap going down the back straight just like a jockey would whip his horse trying to get more speed

Edited by scotchopper
  • Like 3

As for Fisher many of his detractors talk about one day he will give someone a bad one, well he has been racing for well over 10 years now........ he has had a few in the opposite direction, e.g. last week when Barker took him out but he was laughing about it in the pits with Ben after apparently. There is no doubt he is a hard rider and can be ruthless but he is also a super talented motorcyclist who goes for and pulls off moves other riders wouldn't even dream about. and news flash you don't get any points for beating the track. He is fantastic to watch and to follow, at Workington the other week when he was chasing down the opposition he gave his bike a massive slap going down the back straight just like a jockey would whip his horse trying to get more speed

You obviously didn't go to Plymouth last week; Barker did not take Fisher out. Fisher crashed because he reared up coming out of bend 2 and slammed into the fence.

I'm seriously wondering why I put myself through this week after week, especially now I don't have anyone to moan to during the blooming meeting! There was not one person within 15 feet of me tonight so I really felt quite alone, I think it is obvious now that this will be the state of play for the rest of the season for me as the one who used to come with me has not been at all this season and shows no interest in doing so.

Annoyingly, had the meeting still been next week, eldest son would have come with me as he is back from uni for a short time then but with the move of meeting to this week and the next meeting the day he goes back to High Wycombe, it will be the horrible Billy no mates experience once again. If this continues for the rest of the season, I really don't know if I could face repeating the exercise next year.

You are not alone in your sentiments Sue. And it would feel worse for someone like you who has to put in an extra special effort to attend and then also provides a service for non-attending speedway followers via, the always excellent, Updates site.

My elder son and I arrived in time to hear the bikes revving up at the start line for Heat 1. OK, it was my fault for, as always, running late, but when we got to the turnstiles, the main ones were already chained up and the attendees packed up and stood the other side watching Heat 1, with just the left hand side access open with one lady, bless her, coping single handedly with the late comers. If another turnstile had been left open, then my son and I would have gained access in time to at least watch part of the opening Heat.

Baldyman had told me where you watched from and my son and I did spend some time looking for you, but due to a lack of knowledge on my part, we didn't spot you. Apologies for this Sue as, having been a single parent since my two lads were 11 and 9, I know how good it is to have some company when you do venture out, so I will ensure that you will not be left (home) alone at Foxhall in future - and lets face it, a couple of home meetings amongst the Ipswich branch of the BSF massif (well, Baldyman mainly, then other guys are OK), is really one too many - only joking lads - great company.. And, it was really scary over in the 'North Stand' last night, as it appears that the Bell End Lane Zombies had claimed some victims around 7:20pm and driven off in their cars, as there were so few cars in the car park by the time my elder son and I parked up and then, even more scarily, people in the seats behind the "BSF Massif" started disappearing - presumably either, again, taken by the Bell Lane Zombies, or even maybe beamed up into the space craft that Scotsman transports himself around in, during the speedway season. I believe it is called "The Inveresk".

And the PA is SO SO poor on the back straight too. Really really awful - if any of the Promotion read this.

I have been so unimpressed with the Witches riding, the promotion, the poor lighting, the poor PA, the lack of visibility of CL and Mr Smillie, thge poor track surface and the almost total lack of entertainment provided in the two meetings that I have attended, that I am going to Rye Mouse on Sunday to watch them ride against the Moan Archs rather than following the Witches at the EoES. That tells a story.....

Highlight of last night for me was sitting in front of the best Billy Joel lookalike (Pob?) that I have ever seen.

• Like 1

I don't know how the comments were scathing or unprofessional either.

In my opinion, and I think that of all the Ippo supporters around me, King missed the start, saw Edinburgh were going to get a 5-1, so baled out in the hope of a restart.

Certainly no-one seemed to think anyone touched him.

And in the rerun he got the most blatant flier I have seen in a while. Certainly the other 3 riders didn't seem to make a big effort getting to the first turn, presumably all expecting a restart.

And yes Max Clegg did get away with a couple of dodgy starts in the rerun of heat 2, but remember he was ahead in the original running when it was stopped on lap 3. A rerun was called when it could so easily have been awarded. And Dan Bewley being excluded in that first running seemed exceedingly soft.

And we were also on a 5-1 in heat 13 when Covatti came off on bends 1/2. Fortunately we still got the 5-1 in the rerun.

And as scotchopper mentioned, Kevin Wolbert was a decent distance ahead of King in heat 10 when that was stopped after Kerr came down, only for King to get the benefit in the rerun.

So in terms of rubs of the green, the majority of them went Ippo's way on the night.

And in terms of scathing comments, I think that saying "Fisher is such a dirty rider" is one of those.

He seemed to be in no way to blame for any of the incidents.

Probably the main issue with Covatti coming off was not that Fish was inside him, but that the track was so devoid of grip all night and by heat 13 it was also wet, so that if you didn't make a sharp start you were going to be on the end of the inevitable domino effect since everyone was sliding out towards the fence at the same time.

But back to the whole meeting, it was drifting gently to a close until the joker ride in heat 12, followed by the Monarchs 5-1 in heat 13.

All of a sudden there was some interest.

Ippo were/are poor.

King was very lucky to get 12. But rode his luck and was fast when out in front.

Kerr has gone backwards a lot - has he come back from injury too soon? Or is he on slow equipment? If he hadn't come off whilst last in heat 10, he might have got past Etheridge, but then again...........

Risager was steady as he goes - managed one win.

Sarj seems to have lost his sharpness at the gate and lost what could have been the crucial heat 14 to Clegg.

Covatti was going very well till he came off in heat 13. He was actually gating ahead of the pack and not trying to ride the boards!!

Paco scored in each race but included in that were 2 losses to Clegg. It was probably a fraction down on what I expected.

Greenwood disappointed me. From seeing him get a paid max at Peterborough a couple of years ago, he seems to have gone backwards a lot. Seemed tentative.

Monarchs are not great but have spirit. Scored 10 points more than I expected!!

7 race winners and 11 no scores tells the story of a team that needed to have its top 4 on song, so the loss of Erik Riss was a major blow.

R/R yielded 1 point when on his form this season he would have probably been looking at 7 or 8.

Masters rode well for his paid 13 and was comfortably ahead when heat 15 was stopped.

Wolbert was steady and unfortunate to miss out against King when it was stopped and efficiently won the double jpointy joker ride.

Etheridge was ...... well the jury is out. He was very poor in a couple of rides, but made a couple of good gates in 2 others and was ahead of Kerr when Kerr ran into the 4th bend fence.

The Fish rode well especially in his last 3 rides. Not so past it has some might like to think!

Cleggy was very hot and cold. Either gated a mile behind everyone else or got some starts bordering on fliers. But 7 paid 8 was a good haul.

Bewley was steady but not really gating with the others apart from when he got his 2nd place in heat 8. Surprised at that because he apparently has been gating very sharply in the NL. Maybe all these 7 ride matches in the NL are tiring him out?

And as for the facilities?

Food bar on the 2nd bend was closed despite having a sign saying Open on the window!

Sound system on the back straight opposite the tapes in abysmal. (But I think it may be better in other parts of the back straight stands?)

Lighting is not great.

Track has gone downhill so much this year - did I read at the start of the season they had changed the shale to something a bit lighter? Whatever it is there doesn't seem to be much of it.

Virtually no overtaking - Bewley passed Greenwood but got excluded for it / Castagna passed Etheridge. Don't remember any more.

Crowd was a fair bit lower than I have usually seen.

But the company of the BSF section was great!!

Nice to meet up with macca at last - but no I still don't want an Ippo car sticker!!

• Like 4

It pains me to say it, but given the comment of our Ipswich observer, I also doubt if JE will improve in the near future.

I reckon he has lowest points return of all the PL newcomers and the point he recorded at Foxhall was courtesy of only three riders finishing that particular heat.

How the lad is surviving on his Speedway earnings, God only knows, and it might be in the best interests of himself if he exited the PL sooner rather than later :sad:

Laying the groundwork there i think. Perhaps dates cant be agreed with Tabaka yet.

Did people miss the bit where Campbell states that King is not the rider he used to be?

Pretty personal and unnecessary in my opinion particularly when he's still better than 99% of other riders in the PL.

• Like 2

Did people miss the bit where Campbell states that King is not the rider he used to be?

Pretty personal and unnecessary in my opinion particularly when he's still better than 99% of other riders in the PL.

Errr King is not the rider he used to be at the moment.

Fact!!

And JC's full quote was "Danny King is not the rider he used to be at the moment."

Check this season's averages in the Ippo programme -

King

Matches - 10

Rides - 45

Points - 91

Average 8.08

So he obviously isn't what he used to be at the moment.

I think you are making more out of it than there actually is.

And as for King being better than 99% of other riders in the PL?

Well there are less than 100 riders in the PL so King must be the best in the league?

I think Cook, Stead, Kennett might have something to say about that and based on this season's averages alone, probably another dozen riders like Masters, Lawson etc.

• Like 2

Campbell's kettle's boiled.

Edited by Ben91

Hugely. If the promoter of my team came out with that kind of sour grapes I'd be embarrassed.

• Like 1

Really?

You biting yet.

• Like 1

You biting yet.

Is that the same as eating a piece of cake?

JC always tells it as it is!!

And that's how it was.

Hugely. If the promoter of my team came out with that kind of sour grapes I'd be embarrassed.

Exactly. We've all seen club officials tuck into poor refereeing decisions.

Just find it bizarre that he went on to publicly single out King and call into question his current form.

Not sure what value it added to his rant? Hardly Kings fault if the referee makes a few bad decisions.

Edited by CB252