British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panthers89

Scunthorpe Vs Peterborough 30/5/16 Pl

Are Scunthorpe still doing their average reconfiguration calculations. :D

• Like 1

Good match with Panthers looking in control throughout.

As for the start of heat 13, how the referee didn't pull that back beggars belief, both the scorpions got flyers

Glad wasn't just me as the Scunny fans I stood near said it was just a good start.....

Good match with Panthers looking in control throughout.

As for the start of heat 13, how the referee didn't pull that back beggars belief, both the scorpions got flyers

We did but for the rest of it Scorps were decidely second best off the starts. Another home reverse did not encourage belief that the changes will have the desired effect. But we must keep together and strengthen resolve to come through these difficulties. For me Andreas Lyager was deserving of more than a single point. His work made the room for Big Josh to double points on his tactical ride in Ht10. By the way what a completely ridiculous exclusion for Andreas in Ht8 !. On two minutes and cuts across the "centre green" to arrive at the tapes with secs to go. So had he gone the right way around the track under power to the tapes and failed to reach them in time presumably the Ref (Mr Clarke:same Ref for last seasons Ipswich Auty v Tungate encounter!) excludes him anyway. Another daft anti-speedway rule. Rob was protesting it anyway !

MPT also showed glimpses of why he can be a important rider for us in the weeks to come. He is a better rider than the last time he was with us. His Ht14 win; seeing off a very capable Emil Grondal evidence of more to come. So I say our signings are the right ones in the context of the clubs structure.

What is concerning and I do not like saying it is the hard time Big Josh and Alex Davies are having. Josh Auty is not getting us the big scores despite 13 today. We are not set up to carry Josh if he is struggling so it exposes us even more. Alex I am sure is working hard to get back to form. Generally you would find it hard to rule Alex out of any race he is in. That goes for the whole time I have watched him on the British tracks. But this season he seems to be catching up when he would normally be up to speed so to speak. Sure he can sort this out. But we do need Big Josh back to his best and leading from the front.

Ryan always gives his all and has been our best hope in most meetings. We forget he is back from a bad injury in 2015. If others are out of sorts it throws a big weight on him. To me he is our "jewell in the crown" and at times you might want to reign him back a touch; but he has to chase the cause because we're struggling that brings its own pressures and so on. For instance even after being brought off by Big Josh in Ht13 and the pair walking away. You might see the meeting out without him taking Ht15 ? I might have gone with MPT as the match was lost by then.

You have to think that Wilko will be the big hitter at No6. Returning after his hand injury he would be feeling his way; while Little Josh is doing all we ask of him.

It was disappointing today and I sensed that Rob felt that too handing over the mic late on. By the way I its not helpful when the No2 mic man (apologies his name slips me) announces that the Scorpions have just lost to Panthers B Team !.Just hope no one takes that literally and skips next Friday night v Berwick at the EWR. Someone have a word. No way were Panthers B rate? patched up yes but B rate No. Simon Lambert superb and guest Kevin Doolan and capt Uli Ostergaard cruising round on an essentially slick track; but invariably finding that bit of dirt on the one outside line raceable.

All in all we came away a bit dejected; but still hanging on in there that we can turn this around and we will find form that will take us back up the table. Realistically its going to be one hell of a turn around to reach the play offs throwing the towel in is not an option "if your going through hell keep going"'as Winston Churchill once coined.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

Poor show from Scunny today.. fair play to Peterborough though (three riders in particular), they came and beat us fair and square. Other than Josh Autys last to first tactical ride there was little to cheer for the home supporters. Simply no consistency in the home ranks... they are all capable riders.. but can't seem to get three riders to hit form at the same time. Despite only posting one point from three rides, seen something in Andreas Lyager today which convinces me that he'll prove a good signing.

It was by no means a classic meeting.... a breezy, mild, sunny afternoon, made the track a bit of a dust bowl today, bit of a rarity round Scunny. Credit to the riders for giving it their best... Particularly the kids in the Youth Championships which followed the main meeting. Those that stayed behind was treated to some fantastic racing..particularly the five lads in the 250's..brilliant stuff, well done lads.

• Like 1

Beaten by the better team but Scunny were not helped by the slick dusty track. Afternoon meetings normally bring a bigger crowd but usually at the expense of good track prep.

I fear the crowd will be down on Friday, maybe the promotion should slash the admission to £10 as reward to the fans for their loyalty during this tough period.

Has been done in the past, im sure even down to £5 for having 2 meetings in the same week.. with the track keeping drying out.. couldnt the other water truck be used? the one that soaked the ttrack after the meeting, not the one that sprayed on the top

Riders are not permitted to ride across the centre green. Perhaps the team manager should have made his riders aware. The rule has been in all season.

It must be hugely discouraging for the track staff having a meeting so early in the afternoon. The track was wet through at 1pm, yet despite watering all afternoon it became a dust bowl, I don't think anyone could have done more to try to keep the surface damp.

All credit to Simon Lambert, absolutely flying around the EWR.

The centre green crossing incident simply reinforces the distance between the sport administrators and the grass roots public. All that succeeded in doing was robbed us of what we paid to see. I know the ruling has been in for a while, but I understand Rob Branford fell foul of it at Loomer rd on Saturday too. It is an idiotic rule as some tracks such as Coventry, Leicester, Buxton and Scunthorpe have the pits entry almost opposite the start line and it takes time to get from the gate to the start, but others such as Sheffield and Stoke have the pit gates after turn four. Therefore, the time available to get from the pit gate to the start lines is different at every track.

Ironic!

Taken from Peterborough v Ipswich Updates 30.5.16

Is this a case of "referee's interpretation" ?

Heat 06: Cook,Lambert,Covatti,Castagna...60.9. (5-1). 25-13
Line Up: Cook , R/R-Lambert , Covatti , Castagna
Comments: ........ Both Witches rode over the centre green and only get a warning, not an exclusion because it wasn't 'dangerous'.

All they did was pop round the tapes not cross the centre green like lyager did. They probably went a foot over the grass, never an exclusion and marge made correct call

All they did was pop round the tapes not cross the centre green like lyager did. They probably went a foot over the grass, never an exclusion and marge made correct call

Elsewhere, riders are getting excluded for doing just that.

Elsewhere, riders are getting excluded for doing just that.

To be fair I thought Vardy did a good job yesterday and I think a warning was on the money for those transgressions.

Let's be fair the difference between referees has always been light years, some good, some average, some bad and Horley who truly beggars belief at times.

• Like 1

I have seen riders on the centre green this year and not get excluded, the rule needs to be black and white and not down to the referees discretion.

perhaps there could be a designated marked route across the centre green of each track a couple of feet wide in a direct straight line from pits to tapes with a sign at the pits end saying 'motor bikes - for use when less than 30 seconds on the clock is left only', and 'No entry' at the other end.. A red line painted down each side to prevent anyone stopping for those last minute adjustments, and a marked pedestrian crossing could be provided with flashing beacons. Rob G could be given a lollipop board to be used during busy periods. This should satisfy H&S I'd have thought.. Tracks with pits on same side as starting gate would be exempt of course as that would be silly..

(or riders could just make sure they are ready to race in time)

• Like 1

Great meeting yesterday :D Only down side was the dust - then again, it was sunny and quite windy up there, so it was no surprise!