British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyE

Lakeside Hammers V Wolverhampton Wolves - 1 June On Sky

Not a bad meeting, with plenty of passing. What's wrong with this track then?

Has the wolves bubble burst?

God, I love Peter Adams :lol:

I honestly think this is one of the best meetings I've seen from Lakeside...Great stuff! :t:

For a track which is meant to be very bad, this is the most passing I've seen at Lakeside.

A good 17point paid max for Bridger who rode well but proves how silly this season is when he's at reserve. He will return to main body of team once new averages are out though.

He's not finished yet

Brilliant race from AJ in heat 15. Left JK & Lindgren standing. The track has produced some good racing tonight.

Well done Lakeside.

Always great at home but surprised how much they struggle away.

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 1

rubbish meeting. Always is from Lakeside and in the EL and in Sky.

Being serious, yet another great meeting on Sky this season. Dodgy track maybe but so was Coventry and Poole on Sky and they were pretty good too. More bumps and piles of dirt please!

Who lumped Bridger?...he's got a beaut of a lump over one of his eyes.

Just looked at his interview after heat two, he had the lump then so no dramas after all!!

Has the wolves bubble burst?

I suspect not. Lakeside are very, very good at home -- think that's seven wins now and no-one has got closer to them than 10 points. Caught a fair bit of the action on the TV and looked a really good meeting. Arena-Essex can be a much maligned track at times; would be interested to know what regular Hammers fans think of the quality of racing this year.

Well done Lakeside.

Always great at home but surprised how much they struggle away.

I suspect these two aspects may not be unrelated!

Who lumped Bridger?...he's got a beaut of a lump over one of his eyes.

As for the meeting, excellent racing, partially through good riding from Lakeside and even more from braindead, inept riding from Wolves who reverted back to type riding the wrong lines over and over.

Edited... as Odds On has confirmed he had the lump earlier in the meeting

Edited by BWitcher

It looks like The Mary Celeste at Arena Essex. Has anyone other than the track staff turned up This surely a poor advert for the sport. Why don't Sky just show highlights and do a weekly summary programme rather than the live event ITV knew this was wrong so many years ago and nothing has changed.

A real shame that it has come down to one man and his dog plus the two commentators

Absolutely right.

These live meetings are such a poor advert for Speedway.

Seen bigger crowds in my back Garden. :lol:

Excellent meeting....

Must admit I have seen quite a few very good meetings over the years from Lakeside even though it is regarded as a 'trick track'...

Shame that it appeared hardly anyone attended it....

Did I read recently that a hosting track gets 10k for a Sky meeting?

At circa £20 admission thats 500 fans worth of revenue...

Therefore I wonder why tracks dont invest that cash and reduce prices for a TV meeting to attract a larger crowd...

With tonights racing being so good I am sure many in a 'Big Crowd' may have considered returning...

And the sport would have come over better on the TV to the watching thousands...

As it is it looked, sadly, very much like a sport watched by 'one man and his dog'....

Edit: just seen Hawk127's crowd description... same man and same dog probably?!!!

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Enjoyable meeting, but you always felt that Wolves lacked a little firepower; could perhaps carry 1 or 2 iffy performances, but Wolves had too many tonight.

I do think Lakeside gets bit of an unfair bad reputation, it's not a bad little track, and generally does have a few different racing lines, which is what you need. Clearly when you have someone like Jonsson missing the gate on a regular basis, it helps with the entertainment.

It was just a shame SKY missed the Kennett/Bridger drama, if anything did happen there!

That explains Cooks comments regarding Kennett and Cook mid meeting when interviewed by Chris Louis then. I thought he was getting somewhat carried away from an on track incident.

As for the meeting, excellent racing, partially through good riding from Lakeside and even more from braindead, inept riding from Wolves who reverted back to type riding the wrong lines over and over.

Eddie would look a lot worse than Lewis if they had a scrap.

• Like 1

I Live five minutes from the track has been absolutely pouring down hard as i can remember for years for about 30 minutes just a grey mercy horrible day. If its the same at the track then it would certainly be off. Maybe because of the cameras they will give it a bit and as i type it is easing off. Fingers grossed.

Agree with what you say but it's not a farce that PL teams are not interested in moving up it is simple good business sense. Why would you move into a vastly more costly League, pay over rated riders a lot more money as they going through the motions. PL a much better prospect, with better racing for less money. Most of the sides who move up either realise their mistake and move straight back down or struggle from one embarrassment to the next unless they are one of the few well run clubs. Many clubs having had their fingers burned have settled in to the NL and made a success of things rather than losing money hand over fist. Birmingham and Eastbourne both spring to mind. Some speedway is better than none as many would find forced promotion brings them.

Yet again just as many money problems in the pl as there are in the El ..Pl is not better racing as you see a good meeting at any given time in any league ...also your find pl teams who have dropped to the nl from the pl like Stoke ,IOW etc and even Birmingham lost a packet in the Pl .

The bottom is there is good racing all leagues and none are better than the other and it's the same when comes to teams losing money and trying to survive ...most clubs problems stem from being run poorly rather than what league there in

Edited by orion
  • Like 4

To all the keyboard warriors - I was there and, whilst the crowd was well down on the usual, it was certainly a lot more than one man and his dog. The crowd has always

been quite spread out at Arena and that was the case tonight.

Sky meetings nearly always result in lower attendances, off race night, half term break, almost Winterish weather will all have played their part.

Some very good racing on a track that was probably under water yesterday - big plaudits to the track staff for getting it to the state where entertaining racing was possible.

Good to see Stuart Douglas managed to get to see his boys.

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 3