British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

Thank you Fourentee - I did mean 'your' and not 'you' and have edited my original post accordingly. Was there a claim made to the effect that I have highlighted? That's not how I read that Posters comments but appreciate you may have interpreted them that way and from that standpoint appreciate your views.

Indeed there was, but not on this thread, which is why you may be unaware of them. Will be back shortly with the references.

Edit: They appear on the 'Should Tai Woffinden ride for Team GB' thread. The 'forgotten more about speedway' post is No. 399. Subsequent references to riding career appear in 479, 497, 502, 506, 518 and 525.

That's splendid co-operation Fourentee and certainly a pleasant upturn in regard to getting a sensible response on the BSF. Your attitude and co-operation is much appreciated.

Ignoring old dopey bollix(and no,i am not going to clarify who I mean although there are more than 1 poster who fits the bill)I think if free or 50 quid passes are going to be handed out then riders who have done 10 or 15 meeting in their career just don't really qualify imo.They have contributed about as much as a fan who has payed to get in for a season and they get no life time bonus.Think it is time to stop all this silly talk and look who has really contributed to the sport and give them passes.Riders who have done 10 seasons or someone like 'gemini' who has followed the sport for decades(by actually attending and paying to get in)

Following on from the discussion as to whether ex-riders should get a free pass for life (even if they only rode a handful of matches and were frankly a bit crap), should ex-journalists get a free copy of Speedway Star for life? (even if said journalist was also a bit crap)?

• Like 4

Following on from the discussion as to whether ex-riders should get a free pass for life (even if they only rode a handful of matches and were frankly a bit crap), should ex-journalists get a free copy of Speedway Star for life? (even if said journalist was also a bit crap)?

Yes please! And surely I qualify on your bracketed criterion also!

Indeed there was, but not on this thread, which is why you may be unaware of them. Will be back shortly with the references.

Edit: They appear on the 'Should Tai Woffinden ride for Team GB' thread. The 'forgotten more about speedway' post is No. 399. Subsequent references to riding career appear in 479, 497, 502, 506, 518 and 525.

Second edit: Also 844, 856!

I have followed the comments illustrated Fourentee and see that other BSF members also passed their views on the matter then. Again, thanks Fourentee for putting me in the right direction to see the previous debate.

I'd definitely say there should be some tiered pass,but whatever the tiers,and I think someone like PC or Olle Nygren should get a life time free pass,someone like a 'Rob Homer' shouldn't be considered as anything more than part of the paying public.You can't go giving privileges out to people who done a hobby for a short time with little success.They lived a dream and like I said before,got out of the sport as much as they contributed,which was very little

If the BSPA are looking into this, it shouldn't be too difficult to set criteria.

World Champ, represented Great Britain/England, celebrated a testimonial in Div 1/Div 2 with a British club - free pass

Achieved a CMA, and rode in the British Leagues for at least 5 years - tiered pass offered.

It's quite easy to sort the wheat from the chaff really. Probably just the hangers on who will cause objections.

• Like 3

Yes please! And surely I qualify on your bracketed criterion also!

​So far as I know the Speedway Star does not and never has sent free copies of their excellent publication to former contributors.

I have followed the comments illustrated Fourentee and see that other BSF members also passed their views on the matter then. Again, thanks Fourentee for putting me in the right direction to see the previous debate.

No problem. I knew you'd been on the thread in its 2015 incarnation but suspected you hadn't returned since its new wave of postings this year.

​So far as I know the Speedway Star does not and never has sent free copies of their excellent publication to former contributors.

Well, it's time they started! Perhaps Robert72 could start a thread on my behalf??!!

If the BSPA are looking into this, it shouldn't be too difficult to set criteria.

World Champ, represented Great Britain/England, celebrated a testimonial in Div 1/Div 2 with a British club - free pass

Achieved a CMA, and rode in the British Leagues for at least 5 years - tiered pass offered.

It's quite easy to sort the wheat from the chaff really. Probably just the hangers on who will cause objections.

This looks an excellent suggestion Wackie. One small point - what should the CMA be for a former rider to qualify? Any thoughts?

Ignoring old dopey bollix(and no,i am not going to clarify who I mean although there are more than 1 poster who fits the bill)

You've got me worried now and I bet I'm not the only one...

Edit: Now I'm worried that by liking the post you're double-bluffing me...

Edited by Fourentee
  • Like 1

This looks an excellent suggestion Wackie. One small point - what should the CMA be for a former rider to qualify? Any thoughts?

Whatever the minimum criteria to achieve a CMA was in the years they rode - I don't follow rules & regulations now a days, but what is is now? 6 home/6 away meetings to achieve an official CMA?

On a side note, do refs get free admission to meetings that they are not on duty at?

They do.

They do.

Well the second question must be why? If your former stars pay why not refs? Not many people would speak to them rather than a former hero.

Well the second question must be why? If your former stars pay why not refs? Not many people would speak to them rather than a former hero.

​Referees probably have free admission status for meetings because they are licensed speedway officials. The duration of this concession is probably only while they are licensed and not for "all time" as is being sought by some Posters on this thread for riders.

Still doesn't make it right. Are most people involved now from announcers down not licensed?